PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Ferts w/ PG Ultra

LwnmwrMan22
07-06-2004, 05:55 PM
Just wondering if anyone is applying liquid fertilizers with their PG's, Ultra or Centri? I've seen some guys running around with the stained yellow tanks, so they're either running liquid Pre-M or something with iron through them, but I've not seen any results with my liquid apps.

Took the Chelated Iron Plus back to Lesco today and got some dry fertilizer ro run instead.

Quite literally had absolutely no results with 7oz / 1000 on a yard, changed the color none. I suppose the property's irrigation could have washed it off, but I print off my own "property sprayed" signs on my inkjet printer, so the ink runs if the paper gets wet, and it hadn't bled that much, so there couldn't have been any (much) water. (Another way I can tell if the customer waters or not within 24 hours.)

I guess I'll just go back to spreading dry fertilizer only and spraying the weeds. Just trying to speed things up before by only making 1 pass around everything.

I'm not corrodinated enough to remember to shut the hopper and the sprayer off at the same time. :D

heritage
07-06-2004, 06:30 PM
LwnmwrMan22,
The turf needs to be actively growing to get a response.
Keep an eye on the 7 oz. per 1000Ft2 lawn. When it starts growing again, you will be happy!

Pete D.

James Cormier
07-06-2004, 08:47 PM
"but I print off my own "property sprayed" signs on my inkjet printer, so the ink runs if the paper gets wet, and it hadn't bled that much, so there couldn't have been any (much) water. (Another way I can tell if the customer waters or not within 24 hours.)"

Great Idea, although you gotta go back and check within 24 hrs. My first couple of months I did double apps, youll get use to it and be able to do both soon enough/

LwnmwrMan22
07-06-2004, 09:30 PM
James -

I only go back and check on the properties where I'm trying something new, like the Chelated Iron.

I mow all my properties as well, so when the week or so rolls around and I get to mowing, I can tell if the property has had any rain / water. This is another way I can tell if a customer's irrigation system has been turned on yet, and if the property is getting stressed because of heat, another way I look like I'm on top of things, driving by making sure the property is in running order. :)

Just another way to "cheat" :D

LwnmwrMan22
07-06-2004, 09:36 PM
Heritage -

How long should I wait?? It's been a week.... shoulda had SOME results in 72 hours?

heritage
07-08-2004, 07:52 PM
LwnmwrMan22,
If it's cool season turf we're talkin' about and it's not dormant .....and had a 1/4" of rain or irragation, you should notice a change in color in about a week. Have you done any soil tests on any of the lawns you tested to see if any elements are in short supply? S (sulfur) could be low......Mg (magnesium) could be low also........Is the ratio (2 Fe to 1 Mg) of Fe (iron) to Mn (manganese) correct? Is your soil's P.H. above 6.2??? If the soil is in the proper balance you will see the best response. I test every lawn annually to make sure there are no elements in short supply....and then i use iron in app's 3 and 4 for good color. The perma green sprayer works great for this purpose..........and i'm only putting down 26 oz. of spray solution per 1000ft2 using the red nozzles in high gear. The iron that you used.....did it have some nitrogen in it to help the plant take up the iron????????

Let me know,

Pete D.

LwnmwrMan22
07-08-2004, 10:12 PM
Heritage -

Yep, yep, yep, yep and yep. :)

Anyways, I've gotten myself behind with my 2nd round apps with all the rain we've had and trying out new things.

I've gone back to my trusty spot spray and dry fertilizer for this round to finish it off, then we'll see about 3 and 4 down the road.