PDA

View Full Version : When I started

Lawnboy112
07-06-2004, 05:56 PM
I started mowing my parents lawns, and my grandparents. Thats when i was only 7 years old, and had an old craftsmen. Now, im 14 and have over 25 customers in my neighborhood only. Not including the ones i have that my dad drives my too. I was 12 when i thought i should start a lawn care buisness. Now that i have experience the cost of the equipment i should tell most kids my age, have at least!, 700$$$ saved up. I currently have 1 dixon 48" ZTR, 2 Toro 36" walkbehinds, 2 echo trimmers, 2 echo backpack blowers, and a 8x14' trailer. Last year i made over 15,000$$ just from mowing lawns. Right now i have nearly
40,000$$$ saved! I suggest you look into all of this before hand and not during, I found out the hard way.

fordsrule
07-06-2004, 06:39 PM
I started mowing my parents yard when I was 10

soccerlawn
07-06-2004, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by fordsrule
I started mowing my parents yard when I was 10

Same here, started mowing the neighbors lawn, and realized how much I loved it.

TEG
07-09-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Lawnboy112
I currently have 1 dixon 48" ZTR, 2 Toro 36" walkbehinds, 2 echo trimmers, 2 echo backpack blowers, and a 8x14' trailer. Last year i made over 15,000$$ just from mowing lawns. Right now i have nearly
40,000$$$ saved! I suggest you look into all of this before hand and not during, I found out the hard way.

You must be working with other people? Two walk behinds, two trimmers and blowers. I'm also assuming someone is old enough to drive a truck to pull that 16' enclosed.

txlawnking
07-15-2004, 12:51 AM
Technically, I was 8 when I started on family and neighbor's lawns. I started for real this year @ 30.

mkwl
07-26-2004, 09:57 AM
I started mowing my parents lawn when I was 8.

CamLand
07-30-2004, 08:48 PM
i started cutting my parents lawn when i was 9 my bothers and myself would draw straws to see you got to cut that week. mower was a Bolens, cant remember the specs on it but at that time it was a big machine. also had a snowplow...

BSDeality
08-03-2004, 05:29 PM
so lets get this straight.... you're 14 now. you started @ 12. (2 years). now assuming you instantly got those '25 accounts' and instantly started making $15k/yr you should have @ max $30k after 2 years..... now you claim you have a z, an enclosed trailer, 2 wb's 2 blowers.... does anyone else see where i'm taking this?

its fine and dandy that you started a "lawn biz" which is more than most other 14 year olds do, however there is no need to lie.

now plz go back to your pokemon game.

Rich's Lawn Care
08-03-2004, 06:03 PM
Hey BS, Do a search on this kid he is full of it. He also go's by the name Koiboi123

Seanl33
08-20-2004, 12:19 AM
I am 15 and have 44 accounts got bored one day so i mad these flyers thinkin no one is gonna call.. The next day i got home from school and my mom says someone called for you to cut there lawn so of coarse i ran down with my little MTD 20" 5.5 HP mower and cut the lawn and that is when i started been in buisness for about 6 years and now have built my buisness up to 44 lawns oh ya and i have a 48" BOBCAT walkbehind and sense it got so big had to rely on dad to take me around so we are now BUIsness Partners S & L Lawncare

Seanl33
08-20-2004, 12:26 AM
Lawnboy ur such a bullcrap artist tell the truth oh ya does the goverment know make that much money. . .

Seanl33
08-20-2004, 12:30 AM
How Much do u charge to cut lawns KID 50.00??

JFCizek II
08-20-2004, 02:15 AM
I got started when I was 12 . My parents and grandparents had a feed and grain store plus ran a farm raising beef cattle, chickens for eating , and about 350 to 500 turkeys. A older fellow came in the store one day looking for someone to mow his camp lawn , at the time my grandfather told him that he knew of someone that would mow for him , meaning me. He had about an 200 by 300 ft area that he wanted mowed and after I had finished he paid me $10.00, but this was in 1970. I had then put a small sign in my parents feed store. I got about 3 responces and made about $120 that first summer. From that point my lawn jobs kept growing at a slow but steady pace mostly by word of mouth that I did a good job at a good price. When my brothers got old enough to help out I had a good 25 lawns and switched from John Deere to Kubota this was 1977. We grew at a good pace till 1996 when we made the dission to shut the lawn care jobs down . At that time we had 50 full time jobs plus 4 commercial jobs. We had 4 Kubota tractors [ B7200/54'' deck, B8200/ 60" deck , B2400/ 54" deck and a L2950/ 72" deck ] several push mowers Honda's and Lawn Boy .Several Stihl trimmers . We did this at that time because we all three had small children and wanted to spend more time with our kids. Two years ago I was asked to mow a lawn for an older person that they couldnot mow themselves. Well word has gotten around and I find myself with 12 lawns again and a possable 4 more next year . We all built a good lawn care business plus still worked 40 a week jobs,raised familys, and two of us are grandparents. I have one of my daughters helping me out plus I still work 48 to 56 hrs a week as a maintance mechanic.

Patrick.B
08-21-2004, 08:47 AM
Heck we all cut grass when we were kids,,,,sure i cut few yard here and there but you kids today make $20 and think that $20.000 to them ....Get a LIFE kid ,,,,,,,

qualitylandscaping
08-23-2004, 10:01 PM
Started mowing for money at 12..

dkeisala
08-24-2004, 04:32 PM
I remember mowing 2 acres of sloping terrain around our house using a pushmower when I was around 8 y/o. God that sucked! Can you imagine letting an 8 y/o do that today with those old, dangerous mowers? These days if it doesn't have a blade clutch on it, I don't even want to use it. Growing up I always hated yardwork and would only mow when forced and/or threatened. Ironic how I ended up in this business.

fordsrule
08-29-2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Seanl33
I am 15 and have 44 accounts got bored one day so i mad these flyers thinkin no one is gonna call.. The next day i got home from school and my mom says someone called for you to cut there lawn so of coarse i ran down with my little MTD 20" 5.5 HP mower and cut the lawn and that is when i started been in buisness for about 6 years and now have built my buisness up to 44 lawns oh ya and i have a 48" BOBCAT walkbehind and sense it got so big had to rely on dad to take me around so we are now BUIsness Partners S & L Lawncare

Im 14 and couldnt even think about cutting 44 lawns. I have three i mow regularly and one that I do when it needs it.

How much does your dad help you? My dad only tows around my ride on and my dads push mower sincne mine doesnt work. My dad will do the trimming if its really hot but mainly i do it all my self. How much time do you have to yourself?
I would like to be able to have 44 lawns but I also do other things besides mow lawns during the summer.

Ken Kesey
08-29-2004, 09:31 AM
Started at two years old. Ran my business when I was six.

Looks like a bunch of high school drop outs around here.

Patrick.B
08-31-2004, 07:05 PM
LOL Ken ,,,,,,Jeez...where all you kids coming from ??...you know damn well you didn't make that kind of money ,,,,you really think poeple like me will believe that ?....NOT when i was 12 or 14 ..My dad work for living and he sure didn't have time to bring me to cut grass jeez.....My second year in lawn business and i'm 40 year old and just making between 15 to 18 k a yr...NOW Sit on that and think about it ,,,,,,,,,

fordsrule
09-01-2004, 06:06 PM
Mybe some of the kids on hear are but i just started high school and i plan to graduate. school comes first before i cut my three lawns i have.School also comes first before doing anything i want to do.

Green Dreams
09-06-2004, 11:23 AM
There are 2 fellas here locally that started out just like you. One sold his business in his senior year of high school for $100k. Save your money and go to whatever school you want, dude. If you really want to, you can start over.......

NelsonLandworks
09-14-2004, 10:51 PM
this is my first full year in busniess with my sister-so far so good.

I'm hoping to take the busniess in the direction of strictly spring cleanups, mowing, and fall cleanups.

Right now we do that, plus lots of small grunt work jobs here and there, and manage 2 full time residential clients.

but it's all about learning what you do and don't want to do, right?

Patrick.B
09-27-2004, 07:36 PM
i'm not trying to cut you kids down on here and i'd really do hope the best of luck and some of them kids get on here and say they make top $$$ and it not true at all lol ...i mean i'm 40 and have about 18 accounts and making okay but some kid come on here and say he making $40.000 and got 44 accounts jeez come on .lol

pbillings
10-04-2004, 07:08 PM
Heck.....I mowed my nieghborhood lawns from 10 to 16 yrs. old...8 to 10 accounts a week..I even had 3 commercial jobs at some factories where I lived...Commercials had anywhere from 3 to 5 acres of grass areas. Me and my little 20" k-mart lawnmower and the old steel gas can would walk 2 miles to the factories. It took 2 damn days to mow 1 commercial job. They paid me a $100.00 each. that was a million dollars to me back in the early 70's. Then most of the surrounding factories were approaching me wanting me to mow their grass...I had to turn them down. It was killing me....I tried to stick with residential......

The LawnSmith
10-12-2004, 05:02 PM
I started 2 years ago, and am slowly building equipment. I have 8 solid customers that I do bi-monthly, and the occasional add-ons. I would love to have a ZTR, but it will be awhile before I can afford it. I really like doing lawn maintenance and it is quick money for a little sweat. I'm retired Army, and my full time job is developing training doctrine for the Army. I would like to be able to go full time lawn maintenance within the next two years, and I have picked up a lot of useful information on this forum. I haven't had a dis satisfied customer, because I put a lot of effort into detail on my customer's properties. My current equipment is probably a joke to most of you, but I'm trying to save up for better stuff.

1993 Ford F 150
4x12 trailer
John Deere L110 w/bagger
John Deere STX 38
Stihl Handheld Blower
Toro Self Propelled 22" bagger
Ryobi Straight Shaft Trimmer
Husqvarna 322 Trimmer
Murray Edger
2300 PSI Pressure Washer
and assorted other lawncare goodies

Mike

wdb
10-15-2004, 07:05 PM
Hi,
Like many here, I first started mowing my parent's lawn. I was around 10 at the time. It wasn't long before I found a couple neighbors who were more then willing to pay me to do their lawns as well. Initially I started by using my father's mower, but I was able to buy a good used 21" push mower by the end of that cutting season. I mowed a couple lawns and delivered news papers till I was in my mid teens when I went on to other things. Now, several decades later, I find myself a participant in the corporate downsizing. About two years ago, I decided to replace my aging lawn care equipment I used for my own yard. I could see the writing on the wall where I worked, so I bought some insurance in the form of a 14' trailer, a Hustler Mini Z, two Toro two cycle push mowers, two Maruyama trimmers, a Maruyama hedge trimmer, a Jonsereds chain saw, a Husquevarna back pack blower and several hand tools. I figured this stuff would work great in my own yard, and if I was to ever be laid off from work, I could go in business for myself. Well, guess what. I'm supposed to be laid off in November. The cool thing is that all my stuff is paid for and ready to go. Man, am I glad I didn't spend it all on a new boat or something. So, things are coming full circle for me. Looks like I'll be going back into lawn care for a living.

wdb
10-15-2004, 07:20 PM
z.....My second year in lawn business and i'm 40 year old and just making between 15 to 18 k a yr...NOW Sit on that and think about it ,,,,,,,,,[/QUOTE]

Now This I can believe. A lot of us are getting into this because our 'day jobs' are going away. I have a couple things I will be doing soon. One being lawn care. I think you can make a bit more then 15 - 18K a year, but it requires a lot of work. If you get $50.00 a lawn and can do three to four a day, then only have a season that lasts 6 or 7 months, you are looking at around $26K plus or minus a couple grand. But, that is not bad for 6 - 7 months of work. Even here in Florida, you have an off season.

Carolina Cuts
10-21-2004, 03:36 PM
Started at age 2 with a Fisher Price Bubble Mower... :blob3: :blob3: :blob3:

Now I have 100 Bubble Mowers and bubble-up the whole neighborhood. :blob3:

lawncutr
10-21-2004, 03:59 PM
I have been monitoring all this illegal unreported activity for a few months now and think that it is time to call an end to all this competition. I knew it was just like this...damn illegal aliens....just joking, I started when I was 10 and have not stopped since, except for that time that I went to chase some women in college or on that 10 year drinking binge. Did I say I was joking?

Mico Landscaping design
10-22-2004, 02:14 PM
I started out when i was tall enough to stand behind the good old 48" scag... been doin it since then went to school graduated all that good stuff.. i ran my dads company when i was 16 and plus i had my own bussiness going.. We now service 90 + lawns a week.. do everything there is to do.. keeps 6 guys goin 40 plus hours a week besides mowing.... GO EXMARK!

pbillings
10-26-2004, 11:43 AM
That's Hilarious, Carolina.....Funny thing. I had acouple of those too. I also had one of the old toy mowers that when pushed it had a clear dome on top where little balls would jump around inside.....

K.Carothers
11-27-2004, 07:57 PM
Started at age 2 with a Fisher Price Bubble Mower... :blob3: :blob3: :blob3:

Now I have 100 Bubble Mowers and bubble-up the whole neighborhood. :blob3:

LOL :drinkup:

Smalltimer1
11-28-2004, 01:38 AM
I had a bubble mower too.

Anyway, I've been on a riding mower since I was 5 years old. It was an old Craftsman 10/36. Pop still uses that one. It's on its second engine now though. The first engine died and the Sears mechanic said that it was because he let me drive it too much. ;)

John P.
12-02-2004, 09:37 PM
I started mowing my parents lawns, and my grandparents. Thats when i was only 7 years old, and had an old craftsmen. Now, im 14 and have over 25 customers in my neighborhood only. Not including the ones i have that my dad drives my too. I was 12 when i thought i should start a lawn care business. Now that i have experience the cost of the equipment i should tell most kids my age, have at least!, 700$$$ saved up. I currently have 1 dixon 48" ZTR, 2 Toro 36" walkbehinds, 2 echo trimmers, 2 echo backpack blowers, and a 8x14' trailer. Last year i made over 15,000$$ just from mowing lawns. Right now i have nearly
All i can say is that lawn-boy.............you are full of b*ll Sh*t. Don't give your self "THAT" much credit. We all had to start somewhere and there are guys out there that have been doing this before you where born and are not even making that sorta green. Do come on here and tell lies........you tell lies you can get real feedback on your posts which means you won't learn anything new!!!

Todd's lawncare
02-08-2005, 01:41 AM
i think alot of you kids talk smack i offer about 20 different services and i don't make 25k a year go back to 4th grade

urban ag
02-10-2005, 03:05 AM
my dad never help me
I started mowing at 8yrs old (mine and a neighbors). My daddy never bought me a mower or bottle of coke. I started with a crapsman at 8 and bought a kubota at age 10 a 19in never seen one like it since. Cause all of these guys could smoke you when it comes to making it look good and the equipment I'm 26yrs old and I'm not Impressed with equipment anyboby can buy equipment. Only some of us are going to have the touch in the grass biz when it goes to a few big companies. I'll be one will you. I'm fixin' to take over the south.

Patrick.B
02-10-2005, 08:42 AM
LawnBoy112 ,,,you aint got $40.000 save up and i'm sure the rest of the guys in here don't believe you ..i know guy around here been in Lawn business for 12 years and like hes said ,,,its take years to build your lawn business ,,,you don't drive and you gonna tell me you got that much money save up ? Okay if you say so pal ,.,,

evont22
02-11-2005, 11:48 AM
I started when I was about 11 mowing at my house with my dads massey ferguson (1127?) with a 6ft pull behind... I really started mowing for other
people at age 15, but was hard because I had to get dropped off, now I have a 99' dodge 2500, 04' exmark xp, 04 polaris ranger, 00' cargo express 7x16, 02' 12k lb rated 12x7 dump trailer, and just recently bought a bobcat 743---- The lawn care business is great! Expecting another year of large growth- did lots of advertising this year.

E.T.'s Mowing & Lawn Care

metiernan
02-11-2005, 05:23 PM
I started mowing commercially when I was 13 and I am now 19. I contiribute my sucess to the fact that I was always buying new mowers. I started with my dads 36 inch snapper rider, then bought a 38 inch John Deer, then bought my uncles 36 inch bunton walk behind and put a sulky on it, then I taded up for a 61 inch snapper, then I jumped up to a 61 inch encore prowler, and this year I will have 2 exmark 60 inch lazer z's. I have just as nice of equipment as my competition if not nicer.

promower
02-13-2005, 03:25 AM
I started at about 22 and went into business for myself at 24. Sure I mowed a lawn at 9 or 10 but I wouldnt say thats when I started. And Lawnboy I'm gonna have to call your bluff if you saved that much then you must have zero overhead, nothing ever breaks down, your equipment magically runs without fuel, you dont have ins. and dont pay taxes. At your age I find it hard to belive that you have enough expierence managing your financials to save that kind of money.

chuckers
02-16-2005, 11:17 PM
WOW! Its funny to see all you guys fight. I also love how you guys compare equipment to compitition. I mean I say hi to them if I see them at the gas station but I dont look at there equipment. It doesnt matter equipment wise just if you can provide professional service. Also if you have insurance taxes and all other required material.

old dog
03-06-2005, 09:24 PM
i'm not trying to cut you kids down on here and i'd really do hope the best of luck and some of them kids get on here and say they make top $$$ and it not true at all lol ...i mean i'm 40 and have about 18 accounts and making okay but some kid come on here and say he making $40.000 and got 44 accounts jeez come on .lol
I started when I was 10 in '68.I quit for awhile and started back up in "80
I went full time in "88 & never looked back.Last year I grossed 260 K off
of 160 mostly residentaial lawns.If they have some help they could do it! payup

Patrick.B
03-07-2005, 08:39 AM
Everybody start cutting grass when they young and i did too but just cut my dad grass cause that was my job ..which i did went in lawn business long time ago when i was young ,

ajmctree
03-07-2005, 12:47 PM
Does it really matter what Lawn boy is saying ,that hes got x amount of accounts or making a million dollars . I don't think so but because of his post look at how many people have posted in respone to it .
If it's truth or lies it doesn't really matter ,if it makes him feel good which ever way so be it .

This is just my two bits worth.

Ajmctree

FL&G
03-08-2005, 06:02 PM
I started doing this part time for friends and neibors. I had a three day work week and was looking for something productive to do in my spare time. One thing led to another and this year I am going at it full time.

dvmcmrhp52
03-08-2005, 06:13 PM
[QUOTE=Green Dreams]There are 2 fellas here locally that started out just like you. One sold his business in his senior year of high school for $100k QUOTE]

Really?
I don't suppose you REALLY know what kind of business you need to have to sell it for 100,000 smacks now do you?

A senior in high school?
:rolleyes:

C'mon guys, keep it real.

Stephanie Lynn
03-08-2005, 06:17 PM
I am 15 and I am getting started expanding, I am trying to get new customers, does it matter about your age and do you know any girls who have made this their business?
:waving:

dvmcmrhp52
03-08-2005, 06:23 PM
There are two women that have a lawncare business near us,they do an apartment complex about a mile away.

Good for them and good for you, just keep it real cause
it's quite easy for people who have been around a bit to know when the truth is being stretched.
When people feel they are being told less than the truth there is less cooperation in answering questions.

Stephanie Lynn
03-08-2005, 06:32 PM
lawnboy112

please email me at
beachbumsteph89@hotmail.com

i need to ask u a few ??

Stephanie Lynn
03-08-2005, 06:34 PM
yeah thanks for the advice, i am not planning to make it rich on mowing lawns but i do hope that i can earn some money this summer.
wish me luck!!

kwelch
04-15-2005, 09:38 AM
So can the IRS audit a 14 year old??????? All these kids on here making a ton of money and not paying taxes? I would think if the IRS found out they would go after the parents. Should we all filter everything though our kids name...LOL. My 7 month old bring in 100k a year, I don't think the IRS would be suspicious. payup

bicmudpuppy
04-20-2005, 01:23 AM
The guys bragging about how much they are making seperate themselves very quickly from those of us who are actually keeping books and records and (if your like me) trying real hard not to share 38% w/ our favorite uncle :)

The one thing we don't do is mow grass. The one thing we specialize in is keeping that graas alive with water! I don't know if I want to figure how much I'm making on the terms most have posted that want to share...... At the end of year 3 I'm showing a loss one more time :) You've got to love them old beat up trucks with lots of miles to show. Bless my kids who can make $4550 a year each on their taxes and not pay a nickel. (so to answer someone else's question, if your not incorporated and your kids are old enough to contribute, yes you can show them earning cash, but if they make more than the $4550 that the standard deduction allows.....they pay an even worse rate than you do) So, with mileage deductions at $.38/mile and a payroll to my own kids of $9100, and all the other expenses.......I don't make squat, but......we eat :)

Scag52
04-26-2005, 11:00 PM
I cut 7 lawns with a 52" and dont have a car. Thats alot of work and i could probably do more. But i am reading stories about 15 year olds (like me) cutting 45 yards. I would know and that is just about impossible if you cant drive. BS

wrestler07
05-05-2005, 09:22 PM
well im 16 and i kno that my parents wont cruise me around they have better things to do than drive me around but i may go into business with my dads bud if not then fine but i will be cutting yards this summer for the first time and actually make money

exmark72
07-11-2005, 12:40 AM
some this other kids are saying they have 45 accounts and maybe they do but they probably dont do it alone. if they do a big developments they could have 45 accounts. im only 16 i have 4 lawns that i do one being my own. next year i hope to have about 10.

Howie's Lawn Care
07-11-2005, 09:56 AM
I'm sixteen too and I have 20 lawns, hopefully at the least 35 next year. I can understand you not having too many, but only 3 besides your own? Did you pass out flyers or anything? Also, what equipment are you using? The funny thing is, if you charge good prices, you probably make more than some punk ass bitches at McDonalds. You already make more per hour obviously, but I meant per week. Plus, you don't smell like french fries, just grass and sweat :cool2: . Well, good luck with your mowing.

exmark72
07-11-2005, 10:08 AM
the three i have one is my aunts, my neighbor, and some time my grandma. next year i my going to pass out flyers on my street and my aunts because i know i can beat the other companies how are over chargeing.

Jcs Lawn and Landscape
07-11-2005, 10:30 AM
well im 16 and i have 22 lawn accounts and i jus have my permit right now so i have my dad drop me off with my trailer at my accounts. i only work from
5-8 at night when my dad gets home and i have no problem finsishing those lawns not to mention these lawns are in a mile radias from my house next year i plan to expand to a 5 mile radias and i want to have atleast 40 customers because i will be able to work from 2-8 instead of 5-8 when im driving last year i only had 3 customers same with the year before that and the year before that now i am expanding rapidly