PDA

View Full Version : Fertilizing in hot weather...

allstar
07-07-2004, 06:12 AM
The guy who runs the local Lesco dealership,who seems to be pretty knowledgeable,told me that it's best not to fertilize when the daytime temps are above 90 degrees.I'm still getting alot of requests,though, for fertilization and weed control from new customers.From now until mid-September there won't be too many days when the temps are below 90.Is this true what he says?Thanks.

Avery
07-07-2004, 05:17 PM
I put down high nitrogen once a month during the growing season regardless of temps. It has been over 90 degrees with heat index over 100 for weeks now. Has not harmed any of my properties yet. But I do throw the irrigation on right after the apps.

allstar
07-08-2004, 06:41 AM
If the fertilizer contains a weed killer,Avery,is it still OK to water immediately afterwards?

dishboy
07-08-2004, 09:28 AM
Not sure about granular Weed killer but as long as the lawn is dry when going down you should not have a problem. If ithe lawn is very dense so that the fert sits on top I would make sure it got water immediately, as Avery says.

Avery
07-08-2004, 07:27 PM
Read the label. Most ferts. containing herbicide call for the turf to be wet before app. and dry for some period of time after app.

allstar
07-10-2004, 11:41 AM
I think I'll just go ahead and have the homeowner water immediately,just to be safe,and if weeds remain I'll just treat them separately.

LwnmwrMan22
07-10-2004, 12:06 PM
Usually the herbicide has to wait for 24 hours before water, or you wash it right off the plant.

It's supposed to be wet before hand, so the granules will stick to the leaves of the plant.

Again, USUALLY.

Again, label should say when to water after application, AND if you should apply over certain temps.

And one more AGAIN, Lesco reps are good at what they do, but there's been times I've looked into something they've told me, and they were completely off.

Cudos to them, they take it in stride and chalk it up to one more thing learned on the job, rather than blow me off and try to make me look like an idiot, which is the way my old supplier was.

Neal Wolbert
07-11-2004, 12:33 AM
Can you apply weed and feed in your state without a license? Neal