PDA

View Full Version : Cutting GLASS!!!

MOW ED
05-26-2000, 07:17 AM
After a fine day of cutting I finished eating dinner at about 6 when the phone rang. It was one of my customers in a very expensive house on the water, oh ya did I say I cut his lawn at about 2:30 today.<br>He asked if I could come by because when his wife went into the parlor a rock about the size of a golf ball was sitting on the floor. It seems that this rock became airborne by TORO and entered the screen then window 1 then window 2 at about forehead height - proceeded to hit the wall about 4&quot; below the ceiling slightly chipping the wall and then falling to the floor.<br>As bad as it sounds it could have been worse. No one was home - thank God. And the room was filled with glass statues and paintings covered by glass that are probably worth more than I make in 5 years of mowing.<br>I remember hitting something while mowing (been mowing same spot for 4 years) but I thought it was pine cones as 2 trees are right in the area. I even stopped and looked at the house but didn't see anything. Someone had taken a tree down about 10 feet away and evidentally dragged a rock into the lawn and I cut it. I didn't notice it because of the screen and the angle of the sun as well as no indication from anyone inside ,which no one was home. But I wouldn't have left if I knew what I had done.<br>The homeowner was very nice about it and today I will gladly shell out my 100 dollar deductable to cover the repairs. (the windows were about 2'x2&quot; old style plate glass, nothing fancy) I think I'll put my mulcher on. <br>Should I give him a break on the bill? I'm thinking about either 1/2 off or a free cut for the inconvenience.<br>Any of you ever cut glass, what did it cost you. Oh ya I hope my birthday is a better day tomorrow , gonna find the bottom of a few longnecks, no better make it cans, I have bad luck with glass.

columbiaplower
05-26-2000, 07:28 AM
no way you allready bought the window. It would be different if he told you not to worry about paying for the window but he didnt you did.<br>Just keep on cuttin'<p>-Nick

lawrence stone
05-26-2000, 07:35 AM
ed wrote:<p>&gt; I think I'll put my mulcher on. <p>That will cut your productivity by a third.<p>Did you have the defector in the down position when you hit the rock?<p>Let HIS insurance company pay for the damage.<p>If you get to many claims your carrier will<br>dump you.

Alan
05-26-2000, 09:12 AM
So how do you keep the customer if you tell him that the repairs are on his nickel? I got a garage door this past winter while plowing, would not even consider telling my customer that I was not going to cover it. They're not upset, my insurance took care of the damage and I still have a customer. Seems like that is why we carry insurance in the first place.

Gus
05-26-2000, 05:19 PM
I did this once and the funny thing was that the rock launched itself from the opposite side of the discharge chute. The customer was very nice about it and could see that I was pretty shook up when it happened. I paid for it out of pocket being that it was about a hundred bucks.

slingshot
05-28-2000, 10:26 PM
let the owner pay for it i would not pay for it it is not your fault the rock was in the yard it was the tree guys he should have cleaned up whos going to pay for your mowers i own walker mowers and a rock like that just might bust up the gear boxes on the deck that would put me back 800.00 i wouldnt pay for it

Getmow
05-29-2000, 08:24 AM
Slingshot, around here if you didn't pay for what you are responsible for you will 1-end up in court 2-loose at least one customer 3- end up paying for it any way....That is why professionals have insurance.

slingshot
05-29-2000, 09:20 PM
first of all im as profesional as they come and second the post said it was left there by anouther contractor so why is the lawn guy resposible like i said who is going to pay for the 800.00 gear boxes on my walker the lawn should be free of debree

GrassMaster
05-30-2000, 06:05 PM
Hello Everybody:<p>You get paid a fee to perform Lawn Maintenance & if you hit the rock it is your responsibility as a professional to take care of any damages that you inflict on a property.<p>Lets see now lets reverse this situation & put your self in their shoes!<p>Hello Mr. Lawn Service I just noticed that a rock came in through my window & broke another doing more damage when you cut my lawn earlier today. What are you going to do about it?<p>Well Mr. GotRocks I only get paid to cut your grass, I didn't put the rock there. I think Porkys Tree service left the rock there. BTW Mr. GotRocks why didn't you pick that rock up yo self. I just get paid to cut grass & nothing else. I think the best thing you can do Mr. GotRocks is file it on your homeowners warranty insurance. <p>My rock chunker might have threw the rock through your window, but do you see anywhere in my 14 page contract about rocks or as far as that goes any debris in the lawn, I think you better read my Iron Clad Contract again. I'm protected against customers like you.<p>BTW Mr. GotRocks I'm an unprofessional scrub & I always pass the buck as much as I can. Could you please tell your homeowners insurance adjuster that I also received damage to my $12,000 rock chunker & if they don't pay me every penny I need to get my rock chunker back up & running I'm going to take all of yall to small claims court. <p>LOL, My side is hurting trying to finish this this act of Buffoonery!<p>If I heard a scrub story like this from my yardman, I would make it my goal in life to put him out of business, he wants me to claim it on my homeowners insurance? LOL, I would sue this lawn service like I own them!<p>The problem in the Green Industry now is there is so many people passing the buck & that's why good people like MOW ED can't get paid the Money he deserves!<p>MOW ED<p>You did the right thing & very professional at that, but it's no big deal MOW ED has always acted in a professional manner. <p>Yep, when MOW ED rides by the scrubs, they look till he's out of site & then they go back to cutting there hedge with a machete. LOL, one day I'll hack enough of these bushes & I'll have a truck just like his. Shoot I'll just wait til he wears it out & buy it when he trades it in. I can then rebuild it & paint in gold letters over his professional logo &quot;Scrubs Shrubbery Service&quot;.<p>What should MOW ED do now, hasn't he did enough?<p>Well he corrected the problem in a very professional manner. Should he give them more. Yes, give the gift that keeps on giving. Hand write them a letter telling them what Great customers they are, how they were real nice about the situation, how you were glad nobody got hurt & you were glad that none of that beautiful works of art got damaged. Tell them that all your problems would be solved if you had a 1,000 more just like them.<p>Notice not once was there an apology or I'm sorry. You can't be a professional going around saying I'm sorry & apologizing. Ask anybody that teaches customer service seminars. It's down right unprofessional.<p>What is wrong with the above paragraph, nothing. Mow ED just created a life long customer & will probably get a lot of referrals from these people. Do you think these people would have even cared if he knocked $100 off their bill, no. Because $100 is nothing to these fine people. But that letter will stay with them for ever & make MOW ED $1,000's in the years to come.<p>When we do damage on others property, no matter what it is our responsibility to make it right!<p>Chuck sorry for the long post, but I haven't posted in a while!<p>I feel better now, I dedicate this to all the Pro's like MOW ED out there!<p><br>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: GrassMaster

Toroguy
05-30-2000, 07:48 PM
Grassmaster,<br>You could make a nice sitcom out of your story. <p>Good points...conduct yourself like a pro, bite the bullet, take care of the problem, and get back to pleasing the customer, and your bank account.

slingshot
05-30-2000, 09:51 PM
HEY GRASSMASTER is that scrub story aimed at me let me know

Finecut
05-30-2000, 10:15 PM
Slingshot,<p>I can't speak for Grassmaster and won't even try...but as a rule he doesn't point a finger at anyone or make disparaging remarks. <p>There was a moral to the story and you may or may not have gotten the point. The point was when you damage someones property you need to step up and become accountable for the damage. If you rear-ended a car in front of you because you weren't paying attention to where you were going, you certainly wouldn't tell them to get their insurance to repair the damage. You ran into them and you have insurance to cover that type of incident. Mow Ed did the right thing and he still has the customer to make money off of for the rest of the season and probably next year if Mow Ed wants his business next year. The profits from mowing this one lawn will many times over pay any increase in insurance costs. To tell the customer to use his insurance is being short sighted and not very ethical.

lawrence stone
05-30-2000, 11:04 PM
finecut wrote:<p>&gt;To tell the customer to use his insurance is being short sighted and not very ethical. <br> <p>Short sighted? What is short sighted about<br>protecting your best interests. If you<br>get too many claims your carrier will drop you like a rock and you will be blackballed<br>by the other carriers.<p>As a certified pesticide applicator I have <br>to have insurance. If I lose my insurance<br>I lose my livelyhood.<p>So who in thier right mind gives a rat's ass<br>about some little residental job you can replace tommorrow.<p>Self preservation is more important than ethics.<br>

slingshot
05-30-2000, 11:12 PM
THANK YOU STONE WELL SAID

mowerconsultant
05-30-2000, 11:13 PM
question ??<br>do you get paid to walk the property and check for debris ??<br>is this check for debris a part of your charge to mow the property ?<br>if so, let your insurance handle it.<br>

Finecut
05-30-2000, 11:13 PM
So much for your ethics Lawrence.

lawrence stone
05-30-2000, 11:35 PM
What good are ethics when you are in line at the soup kitchen?

gusbuster
05-31-2000, 12:08 AM
MOW ED<br>Maybe if there were more business operators like you, there wouldn't be the problems that all trades have. Even if it wasn't your fault, you did the damage, took the responsibility of your actions. That's why insurance exist. I've been in your boat too many times. MOW ED: you did something that any amount of money can't buy; you earned the trust of your client. You only earn trust, canít buy it.<br>GrassMaster I couldn't of said what you said any better. &quot;When we do damage on others property, no matter what it is our responsibility to make it right!&quot;<p>MowEd, Can you go after the tree company? Would it be worth it to you? I've only done this once. Was it worth it, YES! The other contractor was a total d_ _ _ _. Also the customer saw the neighbor's contractor put the piece of pipe in my customer's lawn after BOTH my customer and myself asked him not to. I paid for the broken car window that i broke the following week myself, and then took the contractor to small claims after i filed a claim with him. My customer was very happy to submit an affidavit on my behalf. It took me a while, but after I filed a complaint with the State Contractorís Board in my state, got my judgment paid.<br> Was my customer mad at me, no! He knew that it wasn't my fault. Well yes, it was my responsibility to check for the pipes, that's why, I paid for it. After 7 years, not only do I do still do his house, but 4 other family members other houses. <br>Jean <p><br> <p><p>----------<br>J-LC Landscaping & Maintenance Gardening<br>C-27 Ca Contr# 770044

GrassMaster
05-31-2000, 02:46 PM
Hello Everybody:<p>I wish MOW ED would tell us what he did after fixing the window & what he thinks the results will be in the end, also how the customer reacted?<p>I think it would be very important to us all if MOW ED would when he has the time too, please tell us the rest of the story.<p>This is a story so far about first class professionalism all the way & it could be a dream come true for others.<p>Yes, one thing most of us can always use some brushing up on, that is on customer service & customer retention.<p>It is so easy to keep a customer if you act at all times like a Pro & if you act like a Pro no matter what it is still hard to get new customers.<p>80% of your work comes from 20% of your customers. Ask MOW ED I bet he gets a lot of referalls & thus the people are sold on his service-reputation before he ever meets them. Giving him more time to make more money & getting paid closer to what he is worth.<p>Just think if all your competition were like him, LOL your income would probably be 25% more on the same amount of work.<p>I never try to as some say point fingers at others & critize negetively. I have to much of my life invested on the internet & on this forum to even have one person to dislike me. As a famous saying in a movie a while back was made popular, Help Me, Help You!<p>I try to use nothing but real life situations at all times when ansering post but sometimes I have to be real creative to get the point across. <p>I can't point fingers at anyone, because I've never seen you & it would be a lie if I tried to judge you by your actions on this forum unless you repeatedly acted like a flat out fool, quite a few times. <p>Then LOL, I do not have to point fingers at anyone, because we are judged by our actions by a chosen few. <p>It would make Chucks job easier & membership would go clear through the roof, if we would just let others voice their opionions & let it go at that. Who are we to point fingers at anyone.<p>Forums are a place for the public to voice their thoughts without being critized for what they think & believe in. Lots of times by the time a discussion is finished, everyones opionion has changed anyway. <p>How many times had I wished I could go back & change my post. But when do you do that, because you never know when the last post is made.<p>Lets help keep this Forum #1, lets don't make it sound like #2. If nothing but positive post were made here & that's all. A lot of these lurkers would go ahead & join, not fearing on being slam dunked by others!<p> <p><p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/

MOW ED
06-01-2000, 08:56 AM
Sorry for not updating you sooner but my cursed kohler 25 went to the shop and I've been running behind my TORO to keep up. Rainin hard today 6-1 so I have some time. <p>GrassMaster, thank you for the kind words. I have much admiration and respect for many on Lawnsite and you are at the top.<p>The windows were fixed and the customer called and talked to my wife when I was out earlier this week. She was Very nice and told my wife that I should not worry about the glass as it was an accident. I will retain them as customers and will include the hand written letter with my bill as suggested.<br>I am scheduled to mow today but with the rain it may be tomorrow so I will stop by to make sure all is well. I will also call the glass company and find out the total damages.<p>I appreciate all the comments on this subject and I have considered all of them. I just try to treat people with the respect and consideration that I would like if I was on their end. I know this was an accident but I feel bad that it happened &quot;just because it did&quot;. I have learned a lesson in that when I notice something different on a property - I should investigate further and look around. Thats that. <br>I know accidents will happen in the future but I will do my best to prevent them. If my deductable goes up - so be it. Good Luck folks and thanks again, ed

Lazer
06-01-2000, 11:57 AM
Stone, self-preservation are more important than ethics??!!<p>No WAY man!<p>What good does it do to buy insurance if you can't use it?

HOMER
06-01-2000, 08:48 PM
Hey wait, I want a pat on the back too! About a year and 1/2 ago I sent two blundering idiots(sorry, thats what they were and I'm so ashamed) to do a itty bitty weed eatin' job just cause a customer of mine asked me to. It was on a property that was supposed to be maintained by the renter but wasn't. I said sure Mr. Got Money out the Kazoo, I'll take care of it. Sent the pair with explicit instructions, idle the trimmers as much as you can, these were weeds that had grown up in the back of a commercial parking lot. Sent them on their way with 2 of my trimmers and expected them back in 20 minutes. Got a call on the phone instead from an irate woman claiming the 2 idiots had knocked out her back glass in a compact Ford, 98 model, brand new to her. She was whalin' and cussin' and me being the master of caalmness and quick thinkin' when the stinky stuff hits the fan, I had her calmed right down and eating out of my insurance companys hand in a second. Told her I'd be right there, 20 seconds later I was! The 2 numbskulls had spun the mighty Stihls to top speed in pea gravel of all things! Well, needless to say it busted the back glass into a trillion cracks and 1 puff of wind would have caused the whole shootin match to fall inside of her new Ford. She was scared to drive it home, 25 miles for her, so I offered to keep it at my house, free of charge of course, and deliver it back to her when the windshield showed up the next day...........fine she said and got a ride with her redneck boyfriend, I thought he was drunk and wanted to start something but hey, Homey don't play that, I was about to advise him to go to my web page, www. Homey WILL woop yo a//.com but fortunately for him he remained calm in his drunken state. Anyway the glass did not come the next day which was Friday so the little green p.o.s. had to stay at my house all weekend, no problem, I said I would take care of it and I did. We got her fixed up and I EVEN washed the Fart......Ford for her and she was pleased. A little inconvenient for her, a little nerve racking for me, but all was well, the best thing is I didn't even hace to pay a deduct on my insurance. The bill for the glass and install was 580.00 so I'm sure glad I had that Auto Owners policy! <p>Moral of the story: Don't trust anybody..........ever<p>Pay for that insurance, use it sparingly<p>If it's broke and you made it broke, be a man/woman/child whatever, and fix it. Whatever it takes it's your resposibility<p>Sorry bout the short story, must be the drought.<p>Homer

MOW ED
06-03-2000, 07:17 AM
Update on this isssue:<br>got the bill from the glass repair company yesterday.<br>Total due - $103.00<br>Insurance deductable - $100.00<p>Obviously I won't submit this thru insurance.<p>BTW this is one of my biggest residential accounts so all in all I'm feeling pretty good about the outcome. <p>Homer, I'll pat you on the back for takin care of business. But I think some people out there don't appreciate the full service we give. Go to my Power Brooming post and read slingshots reply. I think you listened to him and are on to something with the car washing service. But you forgot to change the oil :)<br>

thelawnguy
06-03-2000, 01:44 PM
Ive busted lots of stuff on people, never had to put it thru insurance (oh except the time I rear-ended a Rotsun) generally speaking if it will cost me under 500 Ill pay out of my own pocket. I have customers that are tradesmen who will do repairs for me on the cheap. Another reason to have a high deductible, you dont want to involve insurance unless its absolutely necessary.<p>My opinion, you break (or cause to break) it you fix it. Doesnt matter who left the rock there. Some of the responses here, you'd swear some of you guys will blame it on Neanderthal man for digging up the rock in the first place.<p>Its what separates the scrubs from the pro's.<p>Bill

goose
06-04-2000, 10:46 PM
I busted a back glass on a 2000 expedition , it cost me $618. I paid for it myself.I have my insurance for major accidents.The Expedition was the owners car of the comm property we were cutting.The first day we had ever been there.It is a $25,000 a year account , I would have paid more if I had to.

MOW ED
06-05-2000, 04:07 PM
Talked to the insurance adjuster today. They will not have to pay so as far as they go I have no claims. I'm sending the check today. Thats all on this subject I hope. Be careful.

BUSHMASTER
08-06-2000, 05:41 PM
ALWAYS BE AWARE OF WHAT YOUR CUTTING ... IF YOU CAN:T SEE IT DON'T CUT IT.......
IF YOU CAN't SEE IT DON'T SHOOT IT....