PDA

View Full Version : annual blue in P. Ryegrass lawn

trying 2b organic
07-09-2004, 12:30 AM
Can I get a suggestion for this, Is it the case where the products for crabgrass work because the leaf blade on the crabgrass is thicker than the desirable grass and therefore kill the crab while only stressing the good grass? I know thats how the broad leaf herbacides work and am wondering if there is a post- emerg. prefferably or even a pre-emerg for annual bluegrass in a Ryegrass lawn lawn. This customer is quite fussy and wont tolerate it, also, the annual bluegrass (i think it is) goes to seed before it even reaches mowing height therefore looking weedy and propagating itself relentlessly.

Neal Wolbert
07-09-2004, 01:37 AM
We like Barricade as a pre in March and Sept. in the Northwest. Timing is everything so apply before the first seeds show up. May/June and Oct/Nov are the most prolific seeding months here and I would think BC would be similar. Controlling adult, seeding plants by digging and patching or with Roundup and overseeding will go a long way in gaining a poa "free" lawn (if there is such a thing in the Northwest). Neal

timturf
07-10-2004, 06:46 AM
Their are many annual bluegrass plants on gc greens that are an PERENNIAL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tscape
07-10-2004, 10:33 AM
The grass courts at Wimbledon are poa annua.

Neal Wolbert
07-10-2004, 11:45 PM
I agree with the don't fight 'em join 'em bunch when it comes to poa. Most golf courses on the West coast grow poa and manage pretty well. Most home lawns end up with it after the third year unless they are under a pre progam. The short roots require frequent fertilizing and poa won't tolerate drought very well, but it can be managed. And, you're right, they are perennial poa out this way too unless they die from drought/cold stress. Neal

Comanski
07-11-2004, 06:03 AM
Prograss will take poa out of rye. Apply 2-3 apps 4 weeks apart in the winter.

Neal Wolbert
07-12-2004, 03:14 AM
It might in Maryland but not in the Northwest unless the poa is very small, 4 leaf or less. Neal