PDA

View Full Version : MB question

LwnmwrMan22
07-09-2004, 12:35 PM
Finally got around to mixing up a batch of MB today to spray around my own deck, so my wife and son can start hanging out, out there.

Anyways, I wanted to try something, using some spreader-sticker since I've got that in bulk instead of the oil. I wanted to try this instead to try to limit the amount of containers that I've got to carry with me, since I've already got the sticker in the truck.

My only thing was, is that when I mixed the MB, sticker and soap, it turned into a gel. Not a hard gel, but gel-like. As soon as I put some water with it, it softened up again.

Just wondering if anyone's seen this before with using the oil, or if since my MB has been sitting around for 3-4 weeks it's the MB, or trying to eliminate whether it was the sticker that caused the gel.

TSM
07-09-2004, 01:56 PM
thats interesting, we have not had that happen using canola oil.
and we had a gallon and a half sitting around all winter from last year that we used in the spring without a problem.

we did get a case this year that i swear something went wrong with...i dont know what. it does say keep out of direct sunlight...maybe it sat around in the sun all day or maybe it sat in a very hot truck or something. this case was very difficult to spray the garlic was extremly thick and had 'stuff' floating around in it? It still worked well, but man, it was tough to get it to spray, had to clean the filter screens and nozzles very very often.

James Cormier
07-10-2004, 04:29 PM
The MB is oppisite of alot of materials this stuff cant get hot, but it can freeze then still re use it.

i bet the stuff Tsm had just got too hot, either sitting in a truck for too long or direct sun/

I find some gallons really need a good shaking before mixing, I try to mix my stuff in a 5 gallon pail with the oil and a little water before pouring into the pg.

This winter I plan to get a 55gallon barrel and just fill tip-n-pours during the season. not too sure how to mix up that size thought

Turf Medic
07-10-2004, 05:19 PM
I have run into that with a couple of other products, can't remember what, had the consistancy of rubber cement, plugged filters, big mess. Now I mix the sticker into the water and get it agitated real well before I add anything else to the tanks.

Green Dreams
07-10-2004, 06:25 PM
you should always add your products to water separately. It's a good habit to get into...

Turf Medic
07-10-2004, 06:27 PM
yep, first tank of fertilzer/herbicde I mixed, grabbed a big bucket and started pouring it all in the bucket. Figured I was going to be more efficient and not be walking from the storage area to the spray rig mulitple times. Huge glob, figured it would break up in the tank, figured wrong.

LwnmwrMan22
07-10-2004, 07:19 PM
Label says to mix it all together first

Turf Medic
07-10-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by LwnmwrMan22
Label says to mix it all together first

label on the mosquito barrier or the sticker spreader?

IMO the guys at mosquito barrier have a decent product, but I'm not sure if they are well versed when it comes to actual spraying out in the field. I emailed them for information on different spray volumes and the reply was pretty much "all the information we have is on the web site". This may be new enough for them that they are waiting for feedback from the people that are using it day in day out.

LwnmwrMan22
07-10-2004, 11:41 PM
Label on the Mosquito Barrier

Turf Medic
07-10-2004, 11:52 PM
they may have not tested it with the spreader sticker you are using. If I remember correctly they recomend, horticultural oil, canola oil, mixed with dish soap, or just water. Judging by your experience it appears the best choice would be to add the ingredients one at at time, JMO.