PDA

View Full Version : Shop vac for chich bugs?

cenlo
07-10-2004, 03:46 PM
I just came across some info on the net. It said, "Use a shop vacuum on the dead spot plus a one foot margin of healthy grass around it. According to the Wolfville Parks Department, this removes all the adults, all the eggs, and all the nymphs and is 100% effective. No other treatment should be needed." What do you guys think! Especially on a lawn that is just staring to get damage. And if the idea is good what about dethatching and using a Billygoat turf vac for larger areas?

Thanks in advance, Cenlo

(And stop laughing):laugh:

Ric
07-11-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by cenlo
I just came across some info on the net. It said, "Use a shop vacuum on the dead spot plus a one foot margin of healthy grass around it. According to the Wolfville Parks Department, this removes all the adults, all the eggs, and all the nymphs and is 100% effective. No other treatment should be needed." What do you guys think! Especially on a lawn that is just staring to get damage. And if the idea is good what about dethatching and using a Billygoat turf vac for larger areas?

Thanks in advance, Cenlo

(And stop laughing):laugh:

Cenlo

A Hoover Beater Bar model will do a better job. I suggest you purchase the top of the line model and 400 feet of 8-2 with ground, The Hoover shouldn't draw more that 2 amps.

BTW it is spelled "Chinch"

trying 2b organic
07-11-2004, 07:40 PM
Have you tried nematodes on them?

Ric
07-11-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by trying 2b organic

Have you tried plain old water. Chinch bug can be suppressed by drowning them. A little dish soap doesn't hurt either. BTW the dish soap will also break surface tension and allow water to infiltrate to the roots. Lack of water or dry areas are the best environment for Chinch Bug survival. Of course I still think the 400 feet of extension cord is the real answer.

cenlo
07-12-2004, 07:12 AM
A Hoover Beater Bar model will do a better job. I suggest you purchase the top of the line model and 400 feet of 8-2 with ground, The Hoover shouldn't draw more that 2 amps.

Hey Ric are you serious? Also how far outside the infected area are they feeding?

I thought Nematodes were only for soft bodied critters like grubs?

And what if an entire area of the property is infested? (like 1500 ft2)

Ric
07-12-2004, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by cenlo
Hey Ric are you serious? Also how far outside the infected area are they feeding?

And what if an entire area of the property is infested? (like 1500 ft2)

Cenlo

I am dead serious about needing 8-2 with ground to run a 2 amp motor at 400 ft. Flea eggs go dormant and will survive for a couple of years in a house that is not occupied. Once vibration or CO2 is present the eggs hatch. A beater bar sweeper will create that vibration. Flea control is egg control.

If the entire property is infested, try the soap and water thing if you insist on staying pure from pesticides. Yes my first post was tongue in cheek. Any time you read my posts in the orgasm forum be ready for sarcasms.

nocutting
04-02-2005, 12:00 PM

Thanks in advance, Cenlo

(And stop laughing):laugh: Hi, useing a "Vac" is great, we've been useing them for years both in lawn and our organic landscape program [ rather than hand pruning out infestations its usally faster, to just "Suck" up your problem and there is no waste to contend with?]......Back to those "Chinch bugs"....ever think about useing "Lures" to either attrack benificials to eat your problems or to disrupt your pests life cycle?..."Works for Me".......About seeding...."Always use an enhanced seed w/ endophyte", you can get almost any seed enhanced rather than a cheap "Blend" go stright to a seedsman?.....Regards Saxon :waving: