PDA

View Full Version : Battery for skid sprayer?

Ryan Lightning
07-10-2004, 06:45 PM
I have a 5.5 honda with electric start, and a electric hose reel.
Can I run a full size car battery? Will the small engine charge it.
Are do I need a deep cycle?

Turf Medic
07-10-2004, 08:02 PM
The small engine won't charge it. Deep cycle will work better, hold a charge longer and they are designed to take mulitple charges. Definately worth the extra money, you can run a wire from your truck charging system to keep the battery charged. You will want to figure out some way to turn the circuit on and off so the truck doesn't try to use the second battery to start the truck. Possibility of a short if the truck tries to get enough power to start the truck through 12ga wire, ie if the truck battery would happen to go dead.

Pilgrims' Pride
07-10-2004, 09:31 PM
I use a deep cycle that is wired to two reels.
It is not wired to the truck as I like to keep things simple for the same reasons already described.
The battery holds a charge well enough that I only need to charge it once or sometimes twice a week.

specialtylc
07-10-2004, 09:54 PM
Just run the power from your truck battery to run the hose reel and start the honda. No extra battery is needed.

Ryan Lightning
07-10-2004, 11:00 PM
speciatylc, will this be ok though a trailer plug? The spray rig is on a trailer, and there may be a small surflo pump, ect. Thank you

Turf Medic
07-10-2004, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Lightning
speciatylc, will this be ok though a trailer plug? The spray rig is on a trailer, and there may be a small surflo pump, ect. Thank you

Still better to run a battery, if your primary rig breaks down, and you need to use a back up truck, no power to the reel. If you don't want to run a wire from the battery to the truck, just occasionally hook up to battery charger, my deep cycle battery lasts for a couple of weeks.