PDA

View Full Version : Well Water and Turf Disease

2 man crew
07-11-2004, 11:04 AM
Is there any correlation between turf disease and certain elements in well water?

I have a large lawn that is healthy. 2 weeks ago it got dry, so I watered a 4000 sq ft area that I wanted to keep green. That area stayed green and a few days later we got some rain (1").

So the whole yard is doing good except the areas that had been watered with well water. The entire 4000sq has Rust. Non of the other areas have any signs of disease or rust.

Ric
07-11-2004, 08:17 PM
2 man crew

yep water quality can be a big factor in plant growth. Not just the microbes in it but chemicals. Fungus and chemical burn have very similar appearances. suggest you have it tested.

sprayman73703
07-13-2004, 01:58 AM
In addition to my lawn spraying business I operate a water well drilling business. I would suggest that you or the home owner pour one gallon of clorox bleach into the well and let it set over night, then pump it out the next day or two. This will disinfect the well and the water can be pumped out on the lawn and not hurt a thing. Just remember a couple things, don't get the bleach water on you tilll the smell is gone or you jeans will be white, and don't use the sented bleach just the plain. This is a legal way to disinfect a well and is what we do each time we drill an new well. Good luck.

Ric
07-13-2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by sprayman73703
In addition to my lawn spraying business I operate a water well drilling business. I would suggest that you or the home owner pour one gallon of clorox bleach into the well and let it set over night, then pump it out the next day or two. This will disinfect the well and the water can be pumped out on the lawn and not hurt a thing. Just remember a couple things, don't get the bleach water on you tilll the smell is gone or you jeans will be white, and don't use the sented bleach just the plain. This is a legal way to disinfect a well and is what we do each time we drill an new well. Good luck.

Spray-man

Great advice, BUT only after a Water quality TEST. Adding more Chemicals to a already chemical contaminated well is not a good thing.

2 man crew
07-13-2004, 09:51 AM
Thanks

Who does well water testing and will they know what to test for?
Is there something specific (chemical or element) they should be testing for that would cause Rust or any other turf disease?

Ric, are you thinking a chemical may have damaged the turf, making it susceptible to disease? Or are you saying the chemical may have burned the turf giving it Rust like characteristics?

My first instinct was there must be some kind of fungus or bacteria in the water that is causing the rust because of the very quick symptoms after one watering.

Ric
07-13-2004, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by 2 man crew
Thanks

Who does well water testing and will they know what to test for?
Is there something specific (chemical or element) they should be testing for that would cause Rust or any other turf disease?

Ric, are you thinking a chemical may have damaged the turf, making it susceptible to disease? Or are you saying the chemical may have burned the turf giving it Rust like characteristics?

My first instinct was there must be some kind of fungus or bacteria in the water that is causing the rust because of the very quick symptoms after one watering.

2 man Crew

I am saying Chemical burn and fungus have the same physical appearance on the turf. There are other ways to tell the difference. However a water quality test will tell for sure if the well is good or bad. If it has microbes that cause fungus then maybe the Clorox will solve the problem. In Fact Clorox is also an oxidizer and can cure some chemical problems. However Clorox can cause more contamination should the problem be different.

Test the water and let the Experts on water tell you what to do.

TSM
07-13-2004, 03:12 PM
i know nothing about wells, but i do have a customer who was screaming in my face saying one of the guys stained his driveway. Driveway was definatley stained and looked like a stain from iron. also the street was stained. then i noticed the stain on his driveway also ran along a planting bed, not just the lawn area, i knew we wouldnt have caused that. This was a new stamped asphalt driveway.

guy insisted it was from us, i didnt know what to say, but this was some stain, like nothing i've ever seen before from a fert with FE. Same staining along his inground pool, the pool area is fenced in and has no turf, just plant material. of course thats when i was able to say he was barking up the wrong tree.

turns out they have well water, the irrigation system bypasses two filters. very high mineral content.

Ric
07-13-2004, 10:00 PM
TSM

Oxalic acid will remove that stain.