PDA

View Full Version : is the spraying worth it??

wrestlingcoach
07-11-2004, 05:54 PM
So far to date, My partner & i have grossed $3300 in sales
spent $900 in insurance & $1400 in chemicals/fert
(we still have a few bags of fert & parts of jugs of chemicals)

so a grand total of $1000 in profit

we still have to do step 4 & 5 for customers

we ended up getting 11 accounts through our mowing customers and 4 accts. strictly spraying&fert.

We offered a 3 or 5 step plan

WELL , IS IT WORTH ALL THE TIME AND MONEY?

:cry: insurance kills considering I only pay a $434 for my commercial lawn mowing liability. over $50,000 in sales in mowing for the entire year

trying 2b organic
07-11-2004, 06:15 PM
It only pays if you decide to go after 50 squirt and ferts or more. You make a commitment to becomming a marketing company and not just a maintenance company that offers this additional service. So the funny thing is you have to risk more and spend more to hope to make it pay. Like and glossy flyer professionally designed and direct mailed to 10 k households.

TSM
07-11-2004, 06:39 PM
hows your pricing??? to spend $1400 on product for $3300 in revenue is definatly outa whack. Product cost should be no more than 20% of gross revenue (15-17% is more likely)....you're over 40%

another thought is....you have 15 accounts? and have done 2 'steps'?....so you have made a profit of $500 per step???
okay, 15 lawns is about 5-6 hours work.... $500 for 6 hours...can you do that mowing??
Imagine if you could go out every day, 5 days a week and do 15 lawns....adding up now, huh??

check your pricing...keep at it and a day will come where you will post on here if mowing is worth it? :)

cemars
07-12-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by TSM
hows your pricing??? to spend $1400 on product for $3300 in revenue is definatly outa whack. Product cost should be no more than 20% of gross revenue (15-17% is more likely)....you're over 40%

another thought is....you have 15 accounts? and have done 2 'steps'?....so you have made a profit of $500 per step???
okay, 15 lawns is about 5-6 hours work.... $500 for 6 hours...can you do that mowing??
Imagine if you could go out every day, 5 days a week and do 15 lawns....adding up now, huh??

check your pricing...keep at it and a day will come where you will post on here if mowing is worth it? :)

Well said, read and learn wrestlingcoach, and one day you to will prosper.

scottt
07-12-2004, 10:18 PM
Nope, it's not worth it. And to show you what a nice guy I am I'll take those accounts for you just so you don't have to have the hassle anymore. We are from the same area you know. Seriously, TSM gave you good advice. When you get a few more accounts the chemical cost will go down. You said you have some leftover chemicals, that is money just sitting there earning no return. With about 45 fert. accounts ranging from 2k to 16 acres I am at a point where my investment in equipment and time is beginning to pay off. Give it a little more time and work for some more accounts next spring.

James Cormier
07-13-2004, 02:18 PM
Its not worth it if your going to use the 15 lawns as a example.

Im a solo operator with 350 customers, my average customer spends over $545 a year I work 4 days a week ( on the road ) one day in the office and only work 8 months out of the year.

Im only telling you these numbers from a former high school wrestler that dreamed to go out to Oklahoma or Iowa to wrestle.

jajwrigh
07-13-2004, 07:14 PM
I am planning to start small next year and gain a good feel for what I am doing then grow slowly each year. I am in the process of dropping all of my mowing and landscaping accounts. I hate mowing now....so I have chosen to focus on chemicals.

TSM
07-13-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by jajwrigh
I am planning to start small next year and gain a good feel for what I am doing then grow slowly each year. I am in the process of dropping all of my mowing and landscaping accounts. I hate mowing now....so I have chosen to focus on chemicals.

oooh, dont say chemicals, sounds scarry.

Lawn care products
:D

jajwrigh
07-14-2004, 12:57 AM
Well, you know what I mean!