PDA

View Full Version : Break my knee and still complete Rnd. 3 ???

ChicagoLawn
07-11-2004, 06:50 PM
Well as of last Saturday I managed to slip and fall at relatives house breaking my right patella(knee cap). Doctor said 6 weeks before it heals or ok to walk on without a leg immobilizer and crutches!

This first week out of commision really gave me a "greater appreciation" for my health(keeping it......) but also great respect for the systems in place to "cover" my lawn care services.

What kind of strategies and better yet motivation have you used to overcome long term adversity(more than one month) in YOUR lawn care business??????

ChicagoLawn

TSM
07-11-2004, 07:07 PM
hope you heal quickly.

when i first started it was a huge concern for me as a one man show. I always would think, 'what if i break my leg today?'

been in business a while now and have employees in place, things can operate nicely, maybe even better, if i wasnt around for awhile

gr8 1
07-11-2004, 09:08 PM
I feel your pain!

I broke my right patella in the fall of 95. I was out for a month and had about 3 weeks of therapy. I came back just in time to shovel snow in one of the worst winters. Alot turning and twisting... bad move.
I've always had some pain mostly with the muscle that goes onto the top of the knee. The first 6 months that I was back to walking on it, I would have terrible pain when I did not move my leg. I could not drive for more than 10 min. and I would have to stop and walk around. I would wake up at with the worst muscle cramp.
I was fine for about 8 years untill I worked on a wall with large barn foundation stone, and alot lifting with my legs. I went back to the doc had x rays and it was still broke!
He said I could have the smaller piece taken out but it could be 6 to 8 months till I was back to normal use, IF the muscle heals right.
Take it easy as long as you can and heal it right. I'm only 27 and groan like my 85 year old grandpa when I get up off the ground.

leadarrows
07-12-2004, 12:24 AM
I broke mine a few years ago. It's hard to accept how hard it is too get around. I had too keep working. Driving the dump truck with just my left leg was a real treat. Good luck and I hope it heals fast.

ChicagoLawn
07-12-2004, 04:59 PM
Thanks to everyone for the encouragement!

I managed a way to cover the rest of round 3 so I should be ok.....

Those of you that have broke a patella did you start working the ole' legs any sooner than the 6 weeks that most doctors recommend? I know......... it is not exactly smart to put any strain on a mending broken bone of any kind, just curious though.

Went today for my second x-ray - the patella is looking fine, still together! I am going to drive tomorrow....... I have to, many small job related details require attention. Right leg in immobilizer to the gas pedal and left to the brake, I think I'll manage?

Have a good one!