PDA

View Full Version : changing grass

BVLAWNCARE
07-12-2004, 04:08 PM
Hey guys, I have a lawn and currently it has chewing fescue species of grass and it was never maintained until this year by me. I power raked it, aerated it, and fertilized it with the in season fertilizer. Yesturday i apllied some lawn food and crab grass remover, and there is still alot of crab grass and some of the grass is that healthy despite my constant work and watering on it. What can I do to make it look nice. There is not alot of shade in the areas that are dying and not as healthy. Whjat can I do? Ive looked in books and really Im doing everything I think I can, including mowing at the proper height and everything. Id like to put a better species in suchas Kentucky Bluegrass but they dont have the money to re do the lawn in a different species and what not....

TSM
07-12-2004, 04:43 PM
few things...first chewing fescue will do better in shaded areas, tough to keep em green in full sun and summer heat, however it has a very deep root system which helps make it drought tolorant. Maintain a regular watering schedule.

chewing fescue is also notorious for thatch problems, you aerated, that is good, i aint a big fan of the power raking. So, because of the thatch you want to be sure you water deeply. after a watering go out there with a knife and cut into the turf down into the roots...be sure your water has penetrated through the thatch. ideally you'll want a moist soil at a depth of 4-6 inches.

you need to be careful when applying a post emergent crabgrass control (crabgrass killer) on fescue, especially if it is under stress from heat and/or drought. Might be best to leave the crabgrass be and deal with it next spring with pre emergent control.

Tall mowing height- I'd recommend 3" cut height (this means when you are done mowing you have 3" of grass blades)

Fescues also prone to certain disease problems.

Maybe you can begin an aeration/overseed program for them. this will be less expensive than a total 're-do' See if you can aerate it a couple more times this season...after you aerate broadcast your new seed, lightly rake to be sure seed gets down to soil....this may or maynot be of benefit, really depends on how much thatch is there now and overall condition of site. (when aerating be sure to use a 'core' aerator. you will want to be pulling 'core' out to help break through thatch. a core areator will pull a plug out of the turf about the size of your thumb.

good luck