PDA

View Full Version : flat bed or dump trailer

ChipsEarthWorks
07-12-2004, 06:30 PM
If you guys had a choice would you by a dump trailer or change you currnet truck into a flat bed dump I am trying to get some advice in this for a friend his truck is a 1994 dodge ram diesal and he is trying to figure out which option to go they are the same in price well the are close enough in price lets put it that way any hepl would be great:D

Scag48
07-12-2004, 10:28 PM
A dump conversion on a flatbed is not going to let you haul as much as a dump trailer. Our dump trailer is rated for 12K# and that lets us haul quite a bit of material. The most weight you could haul in a truck like you are talking about would be around 3K at the most I'm guessing without doing significant damage.

Lawn In Order
09-27-2004, 09:14 PM
I agree with Scag. For his reason and others, from the fact that the dump trailer can be used for years with numerous trucks, your not altering the pickup that may or may not be a selling factor for a potential buyer for the truck at resale, the trailer will be designed for what your looking to do (more axles means more weight capacity and more braking capacity) plus the rear gates can be the swing away or the top hinged "spreader" type. Just a few extra cents for your consideration. I hope this helps. :waving:

wellbuilt
08-05-2007, 09:25 PM
The dumps are the best thing ive bought . I have 2 7x12 12000lb and a smaller one 6x10 10000lb . Im a GC and build additions on houses I load my stuff in and go build a house . I have one with racks for ladders and sideing tools and toolboxes this stays on the job. I have to for dumpster rentel .I get 450 for the 12000lb and 350 for the 10000lb and they are rented every week almost all year .I like to drop off on friday night and pick up on monday but i leave them longer with no charge. I can load a large scoop of stone at the gravle pit,Its around 4 yards but im runing over weaight 3 1/2yards is better .There is no scale and i bring the guys coffee so they try to burry the trailer with stone. I load dirt 31/2 yards at a time . I can fill it with wood and dump it out. We rip down houses and fit 18 yards of stuff in the 7x12 with 7' sides.it cost about 200 bucks if we pack it tight. I been renting mini excavators and skidstears and driveing them in .The kabota 121 sticks out the frount and i have to hook the bucket on the out side of the dump box and chain it .I am thinking about a 14' 14000lb dump for a excavator . Ive been geting the trailers used the smaller one was 1500 but needed paint and rubber.one was 2000 and needed lights and breaks and i stole one from a guy that went belly up last winter.2400 6 months old .And i can leave the guys to demo or clean up and i dont have to stay with my truck

PerfectEarth
08-05-2007, 09:29 PM
The dump trailer!!! I love my Bri-Mar. 12,000#

grandview (2006)
08-05-2007, 09:30 PM
Here's mine.

janb
08-05-2007, 10:04 PM
If you have fairly solid surfaces and not rough and steep terrain the dump trailer can be a good tool. I like the fact you (or employees) can / will treat the dump rig roughly, and it is not a large capital asset getting hammered. A 4x4 w/posi and a manual tranny is pretty necessary when pulling a heavy load, and you are better off doing that than leaving the risk of liability / damage to an employee...

I'm still partial to a roll-off (Hook-lift) truck, as I can see it a benefit when running a few sites, and leaving a storage container with tools on a construction job. Small...(dial-up) sample pic follows... these fleets are very popular in the PNW and mountain states that are now more involved in doing "bio-mass" for power generation (it is a good idea to get those fuels BEFORE the forest fire does) a view not shared by all.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v349/jboldt/th_HOOK_lift.jpg

RockSet N' Grade
08-05-2007, 11:20 PM
If the choice is convert a pick-up type truck or buy a dump trailer........hands down get the dump trailer. I like the gooseneck trailers myself, but a bumper pull would be just fine. Alot better set up in the short and long run vs. converting a one ton truck to a dump.

Kepple Services
08-06-2007, 11:31 PM
I would vote trailer also. I have a 7X14 14K lb dump with 33" sides. I dont really "use" it for what I do these days as I have outgrown it. But I rent it our, and its almost ALWAYS out so it more than pays its own way. There are actually some days that the trailer makes more than I do working!

Fieldman12
08-07-2007, 09:51 PM
You say that you rent it out. What are they mostly putting in them? I suspect junk? Are they good about not tearing then up and so on? If they are putting junk in them how much is it costing you to get rid of the junk? I take it you are taking it to where they need it and they are lettting it sit there and fill it up? Or are they towing it also?

wellbuilt
08-09-2007, 10:58 PM
I mostly rent to home owners . Most people load building debre in them some people fill it with fire wood and i dump it at there house. some people rent them when they move in or out of a house.To day I filled three 7x12 x7' tall boxes with a house i throwing away.the boxs where stuffed very tight with wood and it costs $160 at the dump (70 bucks a ton) then wefilled a box with roof framing and shingels 2" thick it cost about $190 Most home owners dont no how to pack a box so they are less then $100 . most of the time i repack the box at my job and fill them with more stuff before i go to the dump. The dumps i have get rusty fast i dont think they are painted very well . My guys are throwing junk at them 6 days a week .filling them with gravel dirt rocks dosent help there look much. To day i had the guys at the dump pulling junk out with the hoe .(I think he bent my door strate again. I would rent 30 yard dumpsters but i cant get them to the house .I get 9 tons in a 30 yard dumpster for 650 but unless you are filling it with plaster or sheet rock demo you are rideing very lite .It cost me $450 today to dump 60 yards of stuff 60 yards cost 1300 dollers for the boxs and you have to wate for them John

Kepple Services
08-10-2007, 09:57 PM
You say that you rent it out. What are they mostly putting in them? I suspect junk? Are they good about not tearing then up and so on? If they are putting junk in them how much is it costing you to get rid of the junk? I take it you are taking it to where they need it and they are lettting it sit there and fill it up? Or are they towing it also?

I get either C&D or yard/tree debris mostly. Whatever they fill it with it is RARELY even $50 to dump it, and on average only about $35. I charge $200-$225 each load. If the person is going to be re-renting the trailer again I will go with my grapple truck and pick it clean on the spot and leave it there so they can refill it. A Few times I have gotten appliances in the trailer, but I pick them out and turn them in for scrap. If someone calls for the trailer and wants to put concrete or dirt in it I either talk them into letting me pick it up with the truck or upsell them to a 20 or 30 yard dumpster.

leaflandscape
08-13-2007, 09:18 PM
dump trailers are the best darn things since bikinis, you can leave 'em on the jobsite and take off in the truck, they can be left overnight, and they're really easy to maintain. The trailers get my vote.