PDA

View Full Version : Locking your trailers

alpine692003
07-14-2004, 02:40 AM
How do you guys lock your trailers @ night when you park it outside your house?

I dont think my garage is big enough for my 5x8 trailer (open) that I have sitting in the garage right now, it takes up the whole darn space..

I would like to park it outside, but I'm afraid it will get stolen without locking it! What are your guys methods of locking the trailers?

riches139
07-14-2004, 07:56 PM
Tie a doberman to the coupler.
Seriously, if it will fit in the garage, I think it would be worth the peace of mind to leave it there at night.:sleeping:

MOlawnman
07-15-2004, 12:26 AM
I have a 22 ft trailer so parking in my garage is not an option.

I leave mine parked on the street with the truck attached. That way if they want the trailer then they can just take the truck too.

If I have to uncouple and leave the trailer unattended then I put a trailer lock on it. I purchased mine online from etrailerpart.com. The lock works very well and was not that expensive.

In today's society one can not be too careful, and that is a crying shame.

alpine692003
07-15-2004, 12:46 AM
Yep, too bad there.. I was thinking of just putting a padlock on the coupler?

alpine692003
07-15-2004, 11:59 PM
I was thinking about wrapping chains around the tires and putting a padlock on the chain!

I have to go check what to get to lock the coupler!

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
07-16-2004, 12:17 AM
chains & locks just keep an honest man honest....a good pair of bolt cutters can get past allmost anything....

had about 33K in equipment stolen 3 years ago....someone cut the chain we had around the gate at our yard

if someone want to steal your stuff then they will

Outdoor Services
07-16-2004, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by Five Star Lawn Care LLC
chains & locks just keep an honest man honest....a good pair of bolt cutters can get past allmost anything....

had about 33K in equipment stolen 3 years ago....someone cut the chain we had around the gate at our yard

if someone want to steal your stuff then they will

That is very true, look at those guys on the news tonight stealing ATM's out of shops in less that 50 seconds!:blob2:

alpine692003
07-16-2004, 03:01 AM
Damn ... well, I just bought a coupler lock to lock the coupler, I put chain on the wheel with padlock and I blocked it with my truck.. so they have to steal my truck which has an alarm and exhaust system, then unlock so it will be like 30mins by then..

LawnScapers of Dayton
07-16-2004, 07:16 PM
leave the trailer outside and put the equipment in the garage...

By ythe way....my 6x10 fits in my garage...

Derek

alpine692003
07-16-2004, 09:59 PM
Thats what I do.. I leave all my power equipment in the garage..

but I can't park my trailer inside the garage, it's going to be outside so I have to lock the coupler and wheel base!

ElephantNest
07-16-2004, 10:07 PM
I can park my fully loaded 6.5' x 12' in my garage, but it is a tight squeeze. Very tight. I admit, sometimes I unload everything into the garage and just use the coupler lock for the trailer, which is in my gated backyard, but I still lock it.

I use a trailer dolly which makes it easier to get it in such a tight space, since my second driveway curves at a crucial point in backing into the garage. I drop it right at the door, and dolly it into the garage.