PDA

View Full Version : killing trees with chemicals

ARLawnCare#1
07-14-2004, 08:17 AM
I have 6-8 large(6-8"cal) trees in front of my billboard. I am needing to kill them. I don't want to go to the hassle of cutting them down because of the location. What I need is a chemical, preferably granular, to apply so that the trees will die ASAP!!! Please help me! Thanks!

BCSteel
07-14-2004, 09:53 AM
Girdle them. Pesticide free.

ARLawnCare#1
07-14-2004, 11:47 AM
I am not familiar with that term. Does that mean to "ring" or cut bark all the way around at bottom? Will that work on trees this big? Thanks!

Pilgrims' Pride
07-14-2004, 11:59 AM
Yes, girdleing the trees means just that.
Cutting around the tree deep enough to ruin the cambium layer.
That will kill the trees over time.

THEN HOW ARE YOU GOING TO SAFELY REMOVE THESE BIG DEAD TREES?

I think it would be wiser to hire a professional to do the job right.

ARLawnCare#1
07-14-2004, 01:15 PM
i need a fast kill. As for removing..... I won't ever. I just need the leaves off. They can rot and break for all I care. They won't hit the sign. I am looking for a fast and cheap way. There is NO need to spend a 1000.00+ dollars to remove them.(So high because they must be pulled up ditch long way) Thanks!I am looking for a fast and cheap way.

BCSteel
07-14-2004, 01:19 PM
If they only need to be dead and it doesnt matter if they fall over then why not just fall them and leave them?

Girdling them is probably the cheapest. All you need is a hatchet or knife.

TSM
07-14-2004, 02:43 PM
you do own these trees???

James Cormier
07-14-2004, 03:23 PM
"I am looking for a fast and cheap way."

Most of the time this is the wrong way and will come back to bite you in the a$$

ARLawnCare#1
07-14-2004, 05:14 PM

Most of the time this is the wrong way and will come back to bite you in the a$$

THIS IS THE ONE PROBLEM WITH THIS SITE!!! I am a grown man looking for answers to a direct question. NOT the consequences. Don't you think I know sometimes things backfire? This is in the middle of a cotton field that I OWN!!!! NEXT time don't comment to my posts UNLESS you can acctually ANSWER the question!!

Green Dreams
07-14-2004, 05:20 PM
...then call tru green or lesco or your ag dept and ask them. Too many uncertified clueless people here...thats what really wrong...lol

James Cormier
07-14-2004, 05:27 PM
Gezzz, sorry AR, didnt mean to ruffle your feathers, I didnt read your rules for answering your questions, must have missed that post.

specialtylc
07-14-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Pilgrims' Pride
Yes, girdleing the trees means just that.
Cutting around the tree deep enough to ruin the cambium layer.
That will kill the trees over time.

THEN HOW ARE YOU GOING TO SAFELY REMOVE THESE BIG DEAD TREES?

I think it would be wiser to hire a professional to do the job right.
It dont take a logger to cut down a little 30 foot tree.

Turf Medic
07-14-2004, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by ARLawnCare#1

THIS IS THE ONE PROBLEM WITH THIS SITE!!! I am a grown man looking for answers to a direct question. NOT the consequences. Don't you think I know sometimes things backfire? This is in the middle of a cotton field that I OWN!!!! NEXT time don't comment to my posts UNLESS you can acctually ANSWER the question!!

The big problem with this site is most of the CORRECT answers you will get are from professionals that get tired of people looking for a half ass way to do a job. If you are seeking information like that buy a round of beer at the local bar and take a survey on how to kill some trees.

TSM
07-14-2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Turf Medic
The big problem with this site is most of the CORRECT answers you will get are from professionals that get tired of people looking for a half ass way to do a job. If you are seeking information like that buy a round of beer at the local bar and take a survey on how to kill some trees.

bingo!!!

AR, i understand your fustration (somewhat)
get a chain saw.....
your done in no time

ARLawnCare#1
07-15-2004, 07:38 AM
Thanks to the ones that helped me!

ARLawnCare#1
07-15-2004, 11:12 AM
Turf Medic......thanks for proving my point. If you can't help, don't type!! I UNDERSTAND everyone has different ways & methods of doing jobs . Just DON'T want to be as PERFECT as you on THIS job. Hail to the "lawn god"(Turf Medic):angry:

Ric
07-15-2004, 01:06 PM

THIS IS THE ONE PROBLEM WITH THIS SITE!!! I am a grown idiot looking for answers to a stupid question. I DO NOT care about the consequences or how much damage or contamination I cause. I don't know anything or do I care how things backfiring? This is in the middle of a cotton patch that I share crop!!!! NEXT time Please comment to my stupid questions I posts UNLESS you can actually find a reasonable question ask by me!!

ARLawnCare

After re reading your last post, I might suggest the following, especially if these trees are located just above a good drainage ditch.

Gasoline and Diesel fuel mixed 50/50.

Multiply bags of Water softer salt.

Muriatic acid or sulfuric acid.

Burned Motor oil.

Good Luck and may the EPA be with you.

Turf Medic
07-15-2004, 01:13 PM
Turf Medic......thanks for proving my point. If you can't help, don't type!! I UNDERSTAND everyone has different ways & methods of doing jobs . Just DON'T want to be as PERFECT as you on THIS job. Hail to the "lawn god"(Turf Medic):angry:

Maybe if you do a search you can find that other moron that was looking for a cheap way to kill weeds, I think he finally used gasoline. The point I was trying to make is this, if you are looking for unprofessional ways to kill a tree, don't insult everyone by asking your questions here, go to the bar, buy a few rounds, load a bunch of your buddies up and go out and maybe piss the trees to death.

Green Dreams
07-15-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Ric
ARLawnCare

Good Luck and may the EPA be with you.

That is funny....

James Cormier
07-15-2004, 04:57 PM
AR, I get the impression you where just looking to get pissed off, and complain about " this board "

You say dont type if you cant help, When I read your first few posts I would have never guessed you where the owner of those trees and that site or that you where a adult. I would assume an adult would know that the cheapest way and fastest way to kill trees would be to just cut them down or better yet know that usually the fastest is the most expensive and the cheapest would take the longest.

MOW ED
07-17-2004, 08:57 AM
What is on the billboard?

Sorry just being funny.
Copper sulfate,
Copper nails, slow methods.

Girdling as mentioned cuts the transferrance of water and nutrients thru the bark. Just like debarking with the lawnmower.
Bring a battery operated skil saw or sawzall with a short blade and cut thru the bark in a complete circle. For best results do it twice and remove the bark completely. Do it at a level that is comfortable to work at.

Don't tell me your billboard advertises your Tree Removal company either. :0