PDA

View Full Version : Help on bidding this fertilizing prospect

dsaldivar
07-14-2004, 12:57 PM
Hi everyone,
Thanks in advance for any opinions and assistance you may give.
First let me comment that I have a license to apply chemicals.

I have a commercial prospect that is wanting a bid on fertilizing.
The details of this property are as follows:

Approximately - 3.5 acres of grass area.
Most grass areas are on slopes and hills.

Up until now I haven't done fertilizer apps for a customer this large and currently only use lesco rotary spreaders.

Here are the two things I need your opinions on.

1 Price per app to bid
2 Does it make sense to apply the fertilizer apps using a rotary spreader or would you invest in a more productive way of applying the apps i.e. spray or ride on fertilizer spreader?

Thanks again in advance for any suggestions, comments or advice you may give.

Danny

James Cormier
07-14-2004, 03:07 PM
one property of 120k you can do with a hand spreader and maybe a drop in sprayer for weeds ( if you dont have a tank ) I wouldnt buy a ride on just for that site.

Price per app is a little tough to answer cause we dont know what your applying, for instance a price for just fert would be much lower that a price for merit grub control.

My commerical pricing is $30.00 per K for a 5 step program, example would be 120,000 lawn x's$30.00 = $3600.00 then divide by 5 to get app price =$720.00 per app grub control is extra ( $9.00 per K ) and lime is $5.00 per k

muddstopper
07-16-2004, 12:42 AM
I might suggest that you get a tow behind spreader instead of the push ones if you dont already have one. I use a drop spreader instead of the broadcasting kind. It will hold about 350 lbs of lime,( pulverised) or about 250lbs of fert. I can put out a ton of lime an hour with it. Fert goes quicker. I use the drop spreader because pulverised lime is cheaper than pellitized and it can be calibrated for the granular materials such as weed and feeds. And I dont have to worry about drift like I would with a broadcaster. On acerage, I usually just double the price of materials for application, but it doest take me long to apply them either.