PDA

View Full Version : Clearing Brush with skid steer

Bings
07-14-2004, 09:25 PM
I just got my first job with my new skid steer. It's clearing brush and undergrowth 4-6 feet tall. My question is do I want to use the 4n1 bucket, open it up and "doze" this stuff or use the solid bottom industrial grapple bucket and push scrape then pick it up with the grapples. The customer wants the area cleared and returned to dirt, he wants this stuff piled up so it can be burned. I don't want to take too much dirt though. How would you guys handle this.

Thanks in advance!!

Tigerotor77W
07-14-2004, 11:14 PM
probably a better idea to use a cutting-type of attachment, not a blade of ANY sort. pushing up stumps under the machine would be baaaaad.

Bobcat Brushcat rotary cutter, for example.

AL Inc
07-15-2004, 09:29 PM
I like the grapple bucket for land clearing. I have found that trying to "bulldoze" with a skid steer usually doesn't get you far. I've done clearings with a 4 in 1, and it will work, I just think the grapple is faster. Just try to clear the bulk of the brush, then back drag to get down to dirt. The fact that you can leave all the debris on site is a great thing. Have fun, I like jobs like that payup . BTW, what machine did you get? I bought a Cat 246 in April and I am loving it.

Mdirrigation
07-15-2004, 10:47 PM
Rented a bush hog and bobcat to ckear a overgrown lot , its the only way to go .

Bings
07-16-2004, 04:59 AM
AL Inc. , I got a Gehl 5640 turbo with enclosed cab (love the A/C!!)
Tracks, and 6 attachments. I just had 2 trenching jobs come up before the lot clearing, first one went well, second one....Buried it to the top tracks in some of the worst mud ever. Had to call a wrecker to pull it out. But...I'm learning! Thanks for the advice on the clearing. Are you saying put the bucket at a angle and push, scrape forward with the grapple?

Big M LawnnSnow
07-16-2004, 05:52 AM
I use a Mustang with the eliminator attachment.
It's the fastest and does a great job.

AL Inc
07-16-2004, 06:39 AM
Bings, keep the bucket a few inches off the ground, angle the bucket down a bit with the grapple open and just move forward. It will gather the brush pretty well. Tracks will definitely help on a job like this. I kept my tracks on all spring, never got too badly stuck, though! I have pics I am going to post of a clearing we did back in the spring, I was able to do it just with the standard bucket w/ toothbar.
BTW, the Gehl 5640 is a real nice machine, I demo'ed one and really liked it. It sounds like you spent some money there, machine, tracks, cab, and 6 attachments:eek: Good luck with it, Mike

Bings
07-23-2004, 12:09 PM
AL Inc., Thanks for the advice. The brush clearing job went very well:D , I agree the Grapple bucket is the way to go!

Still Learning......
Bings

p.s. I would love to see those pictures of the clearing you did.

AL Inc
07-24-2004, 10:27 PM
Pictures of Cat on landclearing job

AL Inc
07-24-2004, 11:12 PM
I'll try that again.

http://www.stageonline.net/mike/1.jpg

AL Inc
07-24-2004, 11:22 PM
another fom that job. I hired a tree service to remove four large trees, and was able to leave most of the debris on site. It was pretty muddy, I was glad I spent the extra $ for the tracks.

http://www.stageonline.net/mike/2.jpg

AL Inc
07-24-2004, 11:25 PM
Moving some logs with bucket.
http://www.stageonline.net/mike/3.jpg

AL Inc
07-24-2004, 11:33 PM
Last pic of land clearing. Will try to take more of other types of jobs.
http://www.stageonline.net/mike/4.jpg

Tigerotor77W
07-25-2004, 12:33 PM
LOL the more I look at a Cat radial lift the more it looks like a Bobcat 863.

No offense -- I love the machine. It looks great and performs well to boot.

cajensen
07-28-2004, 12:35 PM
I am curious why you had the trees felled. I use my 773 on my own land and it is not as good as a Dozer for big trees but you can normally dig around the root to push them over. It takes more time but at least I get rid of the roots/ stumps.
I agree on the tracks. I love my tracks, it gives you a lot of added traction, do not tear up the ground as bad as tires plus the added weight from the tracks stabilizes the Bobcat The only negative is that if I have them on travelling up and down my gravel road it seems to pulverize the gravel.

GreenMonster
07-28-2004, 01:27 PM
Al,

How much does a set of tracks run?

AL Inc
07-28-2004, 05:27 PM
Green, I beleive they were about $2,500

SouthernYankee
11-15-2004, 01:39 AM
I use the eliminator rake which does a really good job ripping up underbrush and breaking up the ground.

I like those tracks, does the dealer have to put them on?

AL Inc
11-15-2004, 08:36 AM
The dealer delivered the machine with the tracks on. They are relatively easy to put on and take off.

YardPro
11-19-2004, 01:26 PM
see if you can rent the bush hog for the front. it will cut anything. i was amazed the first time i used it.

earthwerks unlimited
12-25-2004, 05:50 PM
I would brush hog it first that way you get a clear picture of what the lay of the land is. It will make clean up 10x as fast. Use pallet forks on the loader to pluck out root balls then use the bucket to pile them up. Before I got my 4x4 tractor (new Holland TC33D) and the skid steer (New Holland LS180), I used my backhoe to gig out the root balls, which works ok. I built a type of grate or multi-tined attachment that bolts to the bottom of the skid steer or backhoe bucket. It sticks out about 3 feet from the leading edge of the bucket--it increases the carrying capacity by several cubic yards of fluffy brush and debris.