PDA

View Full Version : Cars in Driveways

rlc321
07-14-2004, 09:50 PM
What do you guys do when your costumers cars are parked in the driveway 2 inches from the grass? Do you ask them to move it or try your best to cut around it. I keep thinking that sooner or later I am going to damage their car and have a claim on my Ins.
Thanks Ron

EastProLawn
07-14-2004, 09:52 PM
If I can safely cut & trim around them then I will not bother the client, but if there is any doubt I politely approach them and explain why they need to move the car, I have never had any problems yet:)

tiedeman
07-14-2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by EastProLawn
If I can safely cut & trim around them then I will not bother the client, but if there is any doubt I politely approach them and explain why they need to move the car, I have never had any problems yet:)

exactly what I do.

primecutmo
07-14-2004, 09:59 PM
me too thats what i do

Green Care
07-14-2004, 10:04 PM
I never ask to move I just do what I can without damage.

If it means no edge or trim.

geogunn
07-14-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by rlc321
What do you guys do when your costumers cars are parked in the driveway 2 inches from the grass? Do you ask them to move it or try your best to cut around it.

Thanks Ron

ron--dude, if you got 2 inches clearance I see no issue.

GEO

Avery
07-14-2004, 10:29 PM
I live/work in a resort area and do many HOA's. No way to ask everyone to move. We cut around them. It is a mad house here in the summer. Sometimes as many as 10 cars at one house. In the drive, on the lawn, in the street.

Woody82986
07-14-2004, 10:30 PM
If I can work around it, I don't bother them. If I need it moved I ask once. The next time I just skip what I can't do due to the obstruction and explain to them in the bill why the area wasn't serviced.

Tider6972
07-15-2004, 04:18 PM
how do you like your Gravely 34z? Does it work OK on the small berms and banks found in the Space Coast area?

Do you do any canal props, with the small back yards, pools and docks, and is the 34Z manuverable enough in these tight areas?

I ask the question for myself and "The MANY Others" who are interested in this mower as well as other small Zs....

.....and that is why I don't just PM you.....
Thanks,
Steve

captken
04-02-2005, 12:24 AM
how do you like your Gravely 34z? Does it work OK on the small berms and banks found in the Space Coast area?

Do you do any canal props, with the small back yards, pools and docks, and is the 34Z manuverable enough in these tight areas?

I ask the question for myself and "The MANY Others" who are interested in this mower as well as other small Zs....

Thanks,
Steve

It's okay, just remember to bring your snorkle..lol.
kenny :angel:

lawnman_scott
04-02-2005, 12:37 AM

Thanks,
SteveI just got a 34z, and its everything you could ask for and more. Great little mower, and manuverable as well.

BCSteel
04-02-2005, 09:18 AM
What do you guys do when your costumers cars are parked in the driveway 2 inches from the grass? Do you ask them to move it or try your best to cut around it. I keep thinking that sooner or later I am going to damage their car and have a claim on my Ins.
Thanks Ron

I go around anything that doesnt get blown in by the wind; they know what day I'm coming.

nobagger
04-02-2005, 09:26 AM
I never ask to move I just do what I can without damage.

If it means no edge or trim.
This makes no sense! so your going to leave a lot un-edged or trimmed in certain spots just because you can not ask them to move their vehicle? I'm sure that lawn looks great too after they are gone and so are you. Now if no one is home thats a totally different story. Nothing looks worse than seeing stray grass that got missed.
So YES ask them to move if possible, they will appreciate it! :dizzy: ;) :D

traman
04-02-2005, 09:33 AM
if cars are parked to close to grass two things ,weedwack more or get the 21 out and due a little more trim , the only time i knock on the door is if the windows are down ,or the top is down

nobagger
04-02-2005, 09:40 AM
I live/work in a resort area and do many HOA's. No way to ask everyone to move. We cut around them. It is a mad house here in the summer. Sometimes as many as 10 cars at one house. In the drive, on the lawn, in the street.
Well this would be an exception to my ealier response. If there were cars in every driveway house after house then I can see where you would just say screw it and mow the best you could around them. But if they complained then I'm sure you would tell them the day they you are coming and to expect no cars on the lawn or in the driveway where its a burdin on you. I had a guy at the end of last season, and he was in the middle of the route, he knew what day and even aprox. time we would show up. Well he had a graduation party and there were cars everywhere, he forgot to notify us that he didn't need us that week. We show up and nothing to mow. I told him that we still needed to bill him for travel time and he was fine with that, (equals half) They get charged for something like that and I'm sure it will cure the problem.

lawnandplow42
04-02-2005, 10:34 AM

yup, same here

dvog99
03-03-2006, 10:05 PM
whatever i cant cut i weedwack

ECS
03-03-2006, 10:17 PM
whatever i cant cut i weedwack
Same here. If there was a problem after the cars left, they would gladly pay me to come take cae of it. I also live in a resort area with a lot of rich people, and most of the time if they were to have a lot of guests, they would have me come there before their event.

CrewCutEnterprises
03-05-2006, 02:42 PM
This makes no sense! so your going to leave a lot un-edged or trimmed in certain spots just because you can not ask them to move their vehicle? I'm sure that lawn looks great too after they are gone and so are you. Now if no one is home thats a totally different story. Nothing looks worse than seeing stray grass that got missed.
So YES ask them to move if possible, they will appreciate it! :dizzy: ;) :D

I agree about leaving it Un edged. Intrimmed, no. We run tight routes and for one of my guys to stop at 3 or 4 of our 20 to 30 houses a day takes about 20 mins or so.. Tooo much time. I tell them to trim under the car and if you cant edge or string edge.. dont. Our customers have a scheduled day and normally thye leave us about 2 inches, but there are times where they do park on the grass...

Sorry you know the routine. If we cant cut it, and you dont hear us cutting and come to move it, your loss.....Our loss too.

prizeprop
03-05-2006, 03:43 PM
We have several commercial accounts and the people park there cars with the nose of the bumper hanging over the curb into the grass, Trim what we can but these people think there driving big rigs or something.18" OVER THE CURB AND FIVE FEET OF PARKING SPACE BEHIND THEM. Makes no sense.

mike lane lawn care
03-05-2006, 04:17 PM
i had one lady who loved to park her 4,500 pound SUV on the lawn and then drive accross the yard, even when it was wet. she always left the keys in the ignition and told me to move it whenever i needed to. but i dropped the account last year because of the 10 inch deep ruts that were ALL over the lawn.

P.S. her car's AWD system was crappy and several times did she ask me to try and get the car unstuck from her lawn. True story

ProStreetCamaro
03-05-2006, 07:09 PM

Thanks,
Steve

We love our 34Z to death but be warned it is horrible on any sort of slope. It is to narrow to be stable on the side of a slope but you can go strait up a steep hill and back down it in reverse. We use it every day and the cut it produces is fantastic. The 15hp kawi has plenty of power. The rear tires on it suck and are wore completely out after 320 hours on our machine. This machine is very manuverable in tight areas.

This is my experiance with the machine so far. If you have any other questions just pm me.