PDA

View Full Version : CUSTOMER COMPLAINTS

HOMER
06-04-2000, 09:44 AM
I had a customer call and make me aware that I had missed one of my cuts in May. We have struggled lately getting everybody done on time for a # of different reasons, one being lack of help. I was wondering if any surveys had ever been done on the #1 reason why customers choose to drop a company and go with another, no he didn't drop me but I was just thinkin' again. I have picked up 43 new accounts in the last week, one was due to quality, the other 2 were dependability. I really don't want to tarnish my rep. and be considered undependable so I have been giving a lot of thought to the operation, gonna give up an entire town probably so that I can tighten my &quot;loop&quot; and reduce travel time. I have never had any complaints on my quality, except for the weed pulling thing, and that may be why I stay behind more than I should. I wonder if I just flew through everything and didn't sweat the small stuff if I would get any complaints then? <p>What are some of the complaints ya'll have had in the past and what did you do to correct them? Do you ever get behind and if so what do you tell your customers? How do you bill them at the end of the month if you miss a cut, take one off, tell them you'll make it up next month? Do you ever review your accounts and determine which ones are slowing you down and are they really worth the effort? More is not always better as I am finding out. I am shooting for efficiency and on time everytime targets, need some insight from the &quot;group&quot; to see how they have handled their growing pains.<p>Homer

Charles
06-04-2000, 10:13 AM
When my business was really rolling. i turned down business outside of a tight looped service area. Just told them over the phone that it would be hard for me to get to them on a regular basis. During rainy periods when you get behind makes it especially hard.

bdemir
06-04-2000, 11:28 AM
I dumped work to get a tighter more profitable route and now i make more and get to all my jobs on time and have extra time to work on equipment and if i want more work then i can always get landscape work. Around here there is much work so its easy too keep a good route but its up to you and the strucutre of your route. I would let go the ones that are least profitable then break up your route. If your route is tight all the way then drop the ones that you want to. Dont take more work than you can do yourself if you have trouble with employees because you can only depend on yourself. Try paying your help a higher wage. Im having the same problems with employess they are never really that great. Its part of the business.<p><br>&lt;font size=&quot;1&quot;&gt;Edited by: bdemir<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: bdemir

bill phagan
06-04-2000, 11:53 AM
QUALITY CONTROL is the key to growth as well as being a pro-active versus reactive business owner. The above advice is certainly valid. However, in lieu of dropping accounts, try selling them off. Most of us react negatively to customer &quot;concerns&quot; and we should see this as an opportunity to upsell them for more services. Suggest implementing a QC System that can also help you find those existing money trees with existing accounts. Something as simple as a mailed survey with the invoices or supplying them with self addressed envelopes for payment and having a &quot;checking system&quot; on the back works well. The survey can also act as a referral systems for marketing purposes. Keeping them happy with quality services is Job 1.

lawnnut
06-04-2000, 12:56 PM
Homer <br>43 new accounts in one week????<br>At that rate of growth I would guess you<br>are lucky if you just missed one account.<br>

HOMER
06-04-2000, 07:06 PM
LOL, Sorry, I meant to say 3, 4 if I pick up one I haven't bid on yet. That was a typo, and 43 would really kill me!!!!!! Good advice from all, I will tighten the loop but will try not to add on any services until effective help comes along. <p>As for selling the accounts, explain to me how I would approach the customer with this, it seems to be such a personable business I think they would want to interview the prospective operator. I could probably sell 10 or so to a fellow that is struggling right now because he has no annual accounts set up, he does quality work and has a decent personality.<p>Homer

bill phagan
06-05-2000, 09:43 AM
Typically, smaller operators do not have the cash to purchase accounts. If they do, that's great. Regarding your customers you are selling, simply tell them (and thanks to them)your business has grown and due to their location, you will be unable to service them. However, you ARE CONCERNED about their continuing services and you have retained another professional provider for them beginning ________. Further, to ensure he continues servicing in a professional manner YOU will continue to invoice them and check with them periodically regarding services. The new contractor works off the debt to you by doing the work for whatever period you agree upon. You keep the money. Just one way to do it and everyones a happy camper!

Charles
06-05-2000, 09:58 AM
Bill Phagan, Isnt it true that if you recommend someone and/ or subcontract with them. That you can be legally responsible along with them if something goes wrong? You can be on the list of being sued because they are an agent of yours. I am not an expert on this. But have heard this from a few sources. I stopped recommending other companies because it made me look bad if they didnt show up or didnt do quality work and it reflected bad on me

PLS
06-05-2000, 11:52 AM
Charles:<br>I know on my insurace audit each year it asks for specific information on subcontrator's. I assume if they want to know, there is something to it.<br>

Koby
06-12-2008, 10:56 AM
43 new accounts thatís amazing. How where you able to do that Iím looking to get in to commercial accounts but I would like to start off with small commercial accounts I am having a small problem coming up with money to get bigger and better mowers and back pack blowers and a truck with a trailer. All I have right now is a Monte Carlo a 24Ē home mower and weed whip can anyone please help me out I need guidance. How to pick up more accounts to help pay for better equipment

ALC-GregH
06-12-2008, 11:24 AM
gezzz, the thread is only a few posts long and your asking how he got 43 accounts. God, please help these guys "READ" all the posts first before posting and also god, please teach them to use a search feature on this site.

Charles
06-12-2008, 11:42 AM
gezzz, the thread is only a few posts long and your asking how he got 43 accounts. God, please help these guys "READ" all the posts first before posting and also god, please teach them to use a search feature on this site.

Lets not be rough with the newbies. Welcome to the forum Koby:waving:

Yater
06-12-2008, 11:52 AM
This thread is over 8 years old. I'd say he was using the search feature.

MOW ED
06-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Hey Charles and the higher LS powers to be, is it possible to color code the messages that aren't from the current year? Its not critical but just something to think about. I haven't seen Homer here for a while. He had a cool avatar.

Charles
06-12-2008, 01:01 PM
Hey Charles and the higher LS powers to be, is it possible to color code the messages that aren't from the current year? Its not critical but just something to think about. I haven't seen Homer here for a while. He had a cool avatar.

Yea Homer was a charactor. Would be nice to have him back in here. You would have to ask Sean about color coding