PDA

View Full Version : NPR or Enclosed 8.5 x 16

smcguirt
07-15-2004, 11:26 AM
I have a 6x12 open trailer with racks and I have to load and unload the equipment every day. I want to get either an npr or an enclosed trailer. I would like to hear what you guys think pros and cons. I have a F250 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel so pulling an enclosed is not a problem.

Thanks,
Shawn

The C Man
07-15-2004, 12:47 PM
I think you'll probably get opinions favoring both options. Since you already have a powerful truck I can see why you might want to go the enclosed trailer route though. I don't have anything strong enough to tow a larger size enclosed trailer so I'd have to get a new truck as well. For me, spending less than $1000 for an open 6x12 to start made sense, but some of the larger enclosed trailers I've seen cost over 5 or 6k. There's no doubt they look really good when they're all lettered up, but that's still a lot of $ to spend for something that's just a big box on wheels.

I'm not big enough yet to need an NPR or a big enclosed trailer, but when the time comes I'm definitely leaning towards an NPR after reading about them on several sites and seeing pics of guys' rigs. The convenience and time saving really sold me on them.

HUGHES
07-15-2004, 01:19 PM
This is my first year doing this part-time. I do not have a shop/garage to keep equipment in either. Bought an encloesed trailer and my 1/2 ton would not handle it empty very-well, then I started pricing used 3/4 ton and 1 tons - whoa, way too much. So I sold it and bought a used 95 NPR with a GM 350 gas burner. It has a 20ft bed, which you really only need a 16 or 18. I can get check the oil, jump in and be cutting in a matter of minutes.

I like the NPR!

The C Man
07-15-2004, 01:39 PM
Hughes, what did you pay for the '95 ?

Clark Landscaping
07-15-2004, 03:01 PM
I am in the same decision process for next year, and I am thinking about letting a crew do a fair amount of mowing without me. So I am leaning toward the stand alone truck, then there is no backing of the trailer for the crew. Just simpler and easier I think. Also it won't tie up my one ton dump which is what I usually use to pull the trailer. I have a bark blower which works well with the dump, and I make a fair amount of deliveries with the one ton so it would help me to have a seperate truck. I would be interested to know what you paid as well as picture as to how you have it set up, ramp etc. Is it an automatic? that would be even better to set up for a crew.

HUGHES
07-15-2004, 05:25 PM
Found it out in Dallas, $7,500 for the truck. Then spent $800 or $900 to get ramp put on it.

HUGHES
07-15-2004, 05:27 PM
Don't have a pic but yes it is auto. Tailgate is split with spring loaded hinges. My 17 year-old daughter can drive it.

txlawnking
07-15-2004, 07:36 PM
I have an enclosed 6x12' trailer myself. I really like it ( apparently so do a lot of people around here) It keeps crooks at bay, will be a rolling billboard when I letter it, and it keeps my gear out of the weather.. my old 82' chevy 1/2 ton with a 6.2 diesel, 3.08 gears, and 700 r4 has no problems pulling it. If I had the money though, I'd already have an NPR or something similar. they get great mileage and the manueverability is good as well. I suppose I will keep the trailer, and get a better truck soon, as the ol' chevy is really tired and lookin' kinda ruff...

Eric 1
07-15-2004, 10:56 PM
You have a 82 1/2 ton with a diesel? never knew they put diesels in anything lass than a 3/4 ton. Learn somthing every day.

txlawnking
07-15-2004, 11:59 PM
Was the first year for the six deuce.. and GM put diesels in 1/2 tons from 82 until the Duramax came out...They are pretty rare though.. Grandpa bought it new in 82. It needs LOTS of TLC, My grandpa is 93 and for the last 15 years he wasn't really able to take the best care of it. If I can ever get another truck, and a garage to work on it in, I'll fully restore it.

PMLAWN
07-17-2004, 12:30 PM
The area I service is around a lake so there are a lot of cul-du-sacs and dead ends. A single unit would be a lot easier for me so I think that will be the way to go next time. Also I believe cheaper. Looks like I can pick up a 14' bed for less than 30k (gas) where a new truck coat more and you still need a trailer. I still like the box idea as it keeps all the stuff inside and has a built in bill board.
The problem I see is as an only truck it does not work well as a "bed". Hard to dump mulch into and also I dont believe it makes a good tow rig as the bed hangs way over. If this is one of many trucks and you plan to only use as a mowing rig than it would be great.

LLandscaping
07-17-2004, 03:31 PM
I would suggest you go for the NPR. Right now we pull a trailer, but next year hopefully, we will have an NPR. Towing a trailer everyday get old, it's hard to park places. Plus it would be nice to have a separate work truck and a personal truck. It would eliminate having to hook up the trailer. In my opinion, it looks more professional to have cab over and is safer.

The C Man
07-17-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by PMLAWN
I dont believe it makes a good tow rig as the bed hangs way over

That sounds like a logical argument, but here's a pic that says otherwise. This isn't my rig, I think it belongs to Scaper-S2k. Looks like a standard trailer but with some sort of extension on the hitch.

specialtylc
07-18-2004, 07:49 PM
The NPR is not an econpmy rig. Mine is a 2002 HD crewcab diesel with auto and 12 ft dump stake bed and it has never got over 12.5 miles per gallon with or without the trailer. About the same as our F250 Powerstroke pickup. But the Pu has more power.

The C Man
07-19-2004, 12:05 AM
Man, I love the crew cab versions of those trucks!

txlawnking
07-20-2004, 01:09 AM
Specialtylc, how much does your truck weigh? And does it have the 3.9? It looks like it weighs at least 10k unloaded, am I close? If so, you have just explained the relativelly poor economy.. Too small of an engine, trying to push to heavy a load continuously= really bad economy..I my self wonder why Isuzu doesn't put the 6 cylinder in more of those trucks.. I think you have to get an NPR "HD" to get it, or the NQR/NRR...If I'm wrong, let me know, as I really want one and would like to know more.

PMLAWN
07-21-2004, 06:02 AM
Specialtylc, I have a 3500 with the 8.1. To me the NPR is very economical! LOL

Cman, the rigs I see have a longer overhang and a beavertail. As you extent the drawbar you greatly reduce the tow capacity as leverage will kill the hitch. Than again, with a tailgate you cannot use a trailer anyway or not open the tailgate

Victor
07-25-2004, 03:07 PM
All I can tell you buddy, is that if you get an NPR, you'll never want to go back to a truck and trailer again. I've operated out of both set ups and the difference is like night and day. You already have a pickup for plowing and doing estimates like I do. The writing's on the wall man. If you have any other questions, by all means, feel free to PM me. If I can help you, I will.

Vic

Eric 1
07-25-2004, 08:07 PM
I have always wondered how you deal with fueling up the mowers. with the open trailer it is really easy but if it enclosed do you have to pull out every thing, sounds like a pain.

gogetter
07-25-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Eric 1
I have always wondered how you deal with fueling up the mowers. with the open trailer it is really easy but if it enclosed do you have to pull out every thing, sounds like a pain.

That's what gas cans are for. :)

Victor
07-26-2004, 12:35 PM
Until now, I've been pulling the mowers out of the truck and up to the pump. From now on, I'll carry a 50 gallong fuel tank in the box that I'll be able to fill through the front wall of the box. I'll use a fuel nozzle and pump I'm getting from Northern Tool to fill the equipment in the truck. It will be a great set up for me.

Vic

Acute Cut
07-30-2004, 10:48 AM
You know, i just sold one of my dodges so i can get an npr next year. My biggest concern is grass clipping and the such. Every now and again we have to bag some lawns. I get about 1 truck load of grass per week or so in the summer and about 2 loads in the spring. What do yall do with them then?

Nother question for those of you (Vic) that have customized the NPR yourselves. Cheaper than an SLT?
Im guessing 35K for base truck and box and a ramp system of some sort. Sound about right?
I looked at used but LITERALLY 9 out of 10 had MAJOR engine problems. I had a good mech. that i trust check them out. He said i was lucky some even made it to him.
So what are we honestly looking at for cost? I'm thinkin 16ft bed. Then i can carry what i have in my one eclosed trailer already- a 36wb, 21", 52" wb, and a 52" lazer. THey are wider as well i know so maybe i could even get more. But i would guess just those weigh about.......... 3K all together? Which DIESEL engine should i get?

Basically, after searching this topic extensively i feel that this is probably going to be the way to go. I just need more input so i am an intellegent buyer next spring.

Victor
07-30-2004, 10:55 PM
Do a search for posts with my name in them under the Truck and trailer category. You'll read all you need to know about everything you asked in your last post. You'll find some good informative reading. If you still have any questions, by all means, fire away Buddy.

Vic