PDA

View Full Version : NISSAN and TOYOTA drivers - need info (pt 2)

A1 Grass
07-15-2004, 04:05 PM
I'd like to hear from any NISSAN or TOYOTA truck drivers. I am narrowing down my search for small trucks. I wasn't sure if Nissan Frontier was any good, but I am hearing that they are pretty decent. Tell me about your small truck and what you haul and MPG's, etc. THANKS!

ZOO YORK
07-15-2004, 09:49 PM
1 of the trucks in our fleet is a 2001 nissan frontier ex 2wd 4 cyl. it is ext cab short bed. 5spd. it has over 53,000 miles on it and it has been a great truck.in over 53,000 miles we have had zero problems. its towing and hauling capacitys really suck though. it is great forhauling tools and a mower and cannot haul mulch or any thing heavy. i think you would be really happy if you went ahead and got a frontier. the mpg on it has been the best of all. 21 dollers fills the tank and itll last for 3-4days.

txlawnking
07-16-2004, 12:06 AM
Man, it's too bad we (Americans) Can't get the best the Japanese have to offer... Turbo diesel compact trucks.. Except for the few that isuzu and toyota imported in the 80's, I have not seen many around. Overseas, on the other hand, they are real common. I wish the Japs would bring them here.. Oh yeah, my Uncle's hardscape outfit in Houston just returned their Nissan frontier's off of lease, they were pretty much trouble free for the extreme abuse they saw with him..

grillonz
07-16-2004, 05:43 AM
I use a Nissan Navara pickup. 2.7L diesel. Nissan build good reliable motors that have a long life if serviced.
As for Toyota you need to watch the turbo diesel. Seems to haver a problem blowing heads. It is thought that the problem is that the motor runs too hot.
Towing ability is about the same. I have a tandem axle trailer rated to 2500 kg gross. The Nissan will pull that but don't try it without trailer brakes.
Happy mowing
James

Rex1321
07-16-2004, 02:53 PM
I've had 4 Nissans and 1 Toyota over the years. All great trucks. The Nissan's would out pull the Toyota. But the Toyota got better mpg. 27 for the toyota and 21 for the Nissans. (highway unloaded) Which ever one you pick I don't think you will go wrong as long as you remember it isn't a 3/4 ton.

Rex

MSgardener
07-16-2004, 04:02 PM
Both Toyota and Nissan are rolling out replacements for the Tacoma and the Frontier for 2005. I'm waiting to see both and then make my decision. If the trucks have improved significantly, I'll consider a 2005. If not, I hope to get a good price on a 2004 closeout. Good luck.

z_clark
07-17-2004, 01:06 AM
I pulled a 6'X12' w/ my frontier (4 cy, 5spd) for my first month. This was just to get my business started. It was really too much for the truck. I did have brakes on the trailer, which was the only thing that made it possible. The clutch would slip often.

I LOVE my Nissan frontier. Now is used for estimates and quick trips to the nurser/parts store. I get 23 MPG +-

The brand spankin' new Dodge w/ the Hemi that replaced it gets 8 MPG towing :angry:

Good Luck!

MTR
07-17-2004, 01:53 PM
I think if you want to use it as truck pulling mower and stuff as for lawn maintenance, I think you should look at a used Ford Ranger like '97 or something around that and it like half price cheaper than the Toyota or Niss. I would not spend 10K or more on a newer Toyota or Nissan to do lawn service. The sun will eat it up, besides I barely see people use a Jap truck to do lawn service, but instead mostly older F150 or Ranger. They are cheaper and easier to fix and those things take abuse or scratches daily very well. just a thought.

A1 Grass
07-17-2004, 05:49 PM
I am only doing minimal lawns these days with a 21", so I won't be pulling a Landscaping trailer. I might have to pull a boat or small trailer once-in-a-while, and maybe the occasional small load of dirt. Mostly I'm looking for a fun, cool little 4x4 that gets good mileage and won't die if I happen to hook it up to a trailer for a day.

MOJO111
07-22-2004, 04:49 AM
I've a 24 year old toyota hilux with a 6cly holden motor it pulls hard no problem, trailer on board all the time fully loaded with waste as well. total weight 3.85 ton. and it still goes hard.:D

Lawnboy112
07-22-2004, 09:12 AM
I have a 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 4x4. Ive driven through over 1'8" of snow with no problems. Great Solid Truck. I pull my boat, jetski and Trailer with it and have no problems.

2tall
07-25-2004, 11:57 PM
I currently use a 97 T 100 and love it. I use it day in and day out to pull a 6x12 single axle with 2 Ferris mowers. It s been loaded down quite a few times and pulls very strong. MPG 15-17 depending on the situation. The truck has the 3.4 V6 5 speed 4x4. The truck only has 109K on the odometer. Looking forward to another 100K.

scweedman
07-31-2004, 10:30 AM
I have a 2000 Toyota Tundra V8 pulls great don't know the
trailers behind you. Waiting on a 2004 crew cab to get some
miles so i buy a used one. Can't see buying a new one with all
the miles i put on one.

bdemir
09-19-2004, 09:01 AM
I would go with a used t 100 or a tundra v6 model you cant go wrong with a toyota.

LawnScapers of Dayton
09-19-2004, 02:51 PM
I have had 4 Toyota trucks and now use a 96 4Runner for my service vehicle.....all have been great.....great reliability, good power, etc.......electric brakes on the trailer is a good thing....

I hear Toyota may come out with a Diesel 3/4 ton Tundra...that will be my next truck...

Derek

PS. I also plow driveways with the 4RUnner....works great....