PDA

View Full Version : best sprayer to buy?

pea
07-16-2004, 11:22 AM
I go through about one sprayer every year. I usually get them at Wal-Mart. What is a real good pump weed sprayer that will last?

pea

Rtom45
07-16-2004, 11:29 AM
Crew here at the college likes Solo.

AuburnGuy
07-16-2004, 11:49 AM
I just got some SP sprayers the are pretty nice

BCSteel
07-16-2004, 11:57 AM
I use SP0's, they work good for me.

Tharrell
07-16-2004, 01:44 PM
I have the Echo, I suspect it's made by SP Systems. You're not talking about backpacks though huh? If you want a really tough handheld, get a stainless steel B&G.

AuburnGuy
07-16-2004, 02:40 PM
The echo M100 is the the SP3. I have an SP2 and SP3.

jajwrigh
07-16-2004, 04:30 PM
I just ordered a SPO yesterday...

bugpage
07-16-2004, 04:54 PM
We sell SP Systems sprayers. Our customers have excellent results with them. If interested you can look here:

http://www.bugpage.com/xcart/customer/home.php?cat=270

United Spray Systems, Inc.
Bugpage.com

ArizPestWeed
07-16-2004, 05:05 PM
My Echo MS 100 lasted 5 years .
I now use SP 3 type .
Got 5 of them and 2 Shurflo ele.

Solo suck , they leak .

SouthernFried
07-16-2004, 07:16 PM
I have had SP's, solo's, echo's...hell, more backpack sprayers than I can remember. I must have at least 5 sitting on racks in my shop.

Every single one leaks...

Whether its around the top cap (nothing worse than a top cap leaking and having a strong herbicide running down your back), or the bottom tubes ( never notice it until the next time you go to your property...and theres a line of dead grass where your sprayer leaked as you were walking from bed to bed.

I bought an SP sprayer from my dealer...it leaked. He replaced it.. the second one leaked too. So now, I just familiarize myself with each sprayers leaking habits...If it leaks from top cap, I only fill it halfway. If it leaks from bottom fittings, I only fill it enough for each job and quickly run through property keeping an eye on drips.

I almost look at these things as disposable. Buy one till it leaks...get another. Guess that's why I got so many hanging around.

I have to admit tho...my maintenance on them prolly is sub-par. But, they seem to need more maintenance than I think they should...as well as needing it much sooner. And I hate dealing with residual harsh chemicals in tubes and stuff...so, I generally just buy another.

These are all supposed to be good Sprayers...in the 100- 150$ range. At least, they were the best sprayers my dealers had that didn't have motors on them.

I freakin' hate sprayers.

jajwrigh
07-17-2004, 12:21 AM
I have heard many, many complaints about solo sprayers leaking...

specialtylc
07-17-2004, 12:43 AM
I have two Field King brand backpack sprayers that I bought from Wilbur Ellis. And they have never leaked in 7 years of use. Except for the shut off in the trigger gets worn and needs to be replaced from time to time as it will allow the nozzle to drip. These have been very good units that have seen alot of use and abuse.

ArizPestWeed
07-17-2004, 02:16 AM
I had 4 Solo's for 2 years .
Grease in the lid would stop leaks for 6 weeks only .

The factory sent me 4 new ones and same thing .
Trashed them.

The SP type leak , yes , but if you take a paper towel and stick it under the handel on the lid , it will soak up any over flow and get sucked back in through the air hole on the lid when you pump it up .
Tessman seed co has the best prices for the SP 3 @ $117.00 each .
I ordered 3 yesterday from them .

OH yes , the solo wand is the best .
I use them on all my sprayers .

MOW ED
07-17-2004, 09:49 AM
My Solo also leaked at the cap but what was worse was the leak where the frame goes into the plastic at the bottom. I use it for ferromec only along with my iron stained tee shirt and pants courtesy of solo.

AuburnGuy
07-18-2004, 11:41 AM
I also got mine from Tessman seed. They are very nice and knowledgable.

bugpage
07-18-2004, 11:48 PM
The prices posted on our web site are all retail. We can do better on price for a commercial applicator. Feel free to call 800-950-4883 or email info@bugpage.com and we'll offer a competitive price on SP Sprayers.

D Felix
07-19-2004, 12:26 AM
I'd have to agree with specialtylc on the Field King sprayers.

We have one at work, it's several years old. Don't have any problems with it leaking unless you bend over at the waist, but then again, I've never used a sprayer that didn't leak when you did that. You just have to learn to bend at the knees....

You do need to replace the valve on the end of the hose every once in a while, when it starts leaking, it picks up pace in a hurry.

I know our local TSC carry's the Field King, I think it runs around $80....

Oh, and it does leak if it's been sitting out in the rain; rainwater collects in the bottom section of the sprayer (not the tank), but a couple of well placed holes solves that problem.:)

My $.02 worth.....

Dan