PDA

View Full Version : Truck and Trailer In One

Sean Adams
07-16-2004, 11:37 AM
If you have not looked into the Super Lawn Truck System, take a look at www.superlawntrucks.com today. I have personally had the pleasure of meeting the creator, Tony Bass, and I have been in several of his (and his client's) Super Lawn Trucks.....sweet! A business on wheels and they have great deals and financing options as well.

The C Man
07-16-2004, 12:29 PM
I've been to their site before and watched the video too. I'm not saying this in a confrontational way, but what is the advantage of getting a truck from them as opposed to getting the truck elsewhere and customizing it yourself? (like in the offseason for us northern guys)

gator-town
07-16-2004, 12:34 PM
sean ... do you have a general idea of cost ... say within $5K .

Sean Adams
07-16-2004, 02:08 PM
You can get new or used which obviously has an impact on price....as well as the marketing that can come with it (custom painting/signage)....so, to be honest, no I cannot come within $5k.....check out their site....you will get an idea there....

The C Man - I know what you are saying, but I think a lot would disagree....guess it depends on what one is capable of both financially and time-wise

Lawnworks
09-30-2004, 07:32 PM
They seem like great people, but I priced their gate system and gas system and it is ridiculous!! $6500 for the gate and $2500 for the gas system!! No thanks I think I will try to be a profitable business.

Gautreaux's LNG
11-11-2004, 09:54 AM
Super Lawn Trucks seemed to be a bit overpriced!

The gate system alone cost what a new mower would! I finally got to see them first had at GIE in Charlotte. Some of the wood "pretty" cabinets with clear plastic fronts would take some abuse with a crew! They actually had a briefcase in a slot inside the bed of the truck like a prop! God know all us lawn care guys need a secure place for our briefcases! They have some good ideas but remember if you have money for a truck like this most likely the owner will not be the operator and a crew can be abusive.

ztoro
12-29-2004, 08:27 AM
While the concept is pretty cool..... I have a couple of trucks... So if one of them is down I just hook up the other one.... What would happen if the SLT was broken down... Cant do any work until you get it back......

PLM-1
01-01-2005, 01:23 AM
How long does it take for that gate to go down...watching that video it seems to take forever. In that time on a postage stamp lawn i would be finished and driving off with my regular trailer ramp gate before that thing was down. I just don't see how it saves time.

i_plant_art
01-01-2005, 02:13 AM
joplin i agree wiht you on the gate thing compare to an enclosed trailer i would be WELL on my way to mowing by the time someone who had a SLT got their on the ground. also ztoro has a good point what happens if it breaks down. im like him one breaks down switch trailers on the trucks and roll out. minimal down times. if a SLT broke down i could be days behind b4 i got it back on the road again. lots of lst $$ to me .. good idea but it doesnt seem usable in the market to me. and what about plowing HA RRIIIIIIIIIGGGHHHHHTTTTTTT

PLM-1
01-01-2005, 02:16 AM
totally agree. plowing might not be too bad if all you do is drive forward. forget about backing up!

Turf Dancer
01-10-2005, 05:08 AM
It seams to me like a 16' with all the options 2 years ago I was quoted around $47,000 without the removable advertising

Patrick.B
02-11-2005, 02:18 PM
i'd agree with you all 100% ....if my truck break down i just hook on to my other truck and keep mower alone ,,i got better thing to do with my money then buying $40.000 Lawn truck ,,,lol :cool:

B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc
02-11-2005, 10:46 PM
I personally think all you guys are being very closed minded about the concept of this truck. I drove 4 hrs on a Saturday to their facility and Gary Fellows bent over backwards to meet with me on a weekend. The GATE system lowers in 35 seconds (YES I DID TIME IT). I was concerned with that also. The reason the gate system is a little pricey is because its a locking rear door, a ramp, and a work platform as well and i feel it is worth the investment. The fuel storage system holds enough diesel, gas, and mix to run a lawn service all week. You just pull up and pump like at the station. I dare any of you to price the same tanks, fuel pumps and other materials used on the fuel storage system and mount it cheaper. I know i can't. If the truck breaks down get it fixed and run your pickup and trailer till it is fixed. I don't plan to sell my trucks and trailers just because i buy one of these. And finally you can get the truck loaded (truck, 16' box, all accessories and interior racks, gate/ramp, fuel stations, chrome wheels, receiver hitch) with marketing package on all 4 sides for $45,000 to $50,000. And if you think that is high go price any 3/4 ton diesel or a dually. I did $55,000 for f-350 and still have to pull a trailer. So why not have it all in one. Less maintenance, easier handling, and better in tight subdivisions and anyone can drive it and you don't have to train people to back a trailer. I PERSONALLY PLAN TO BUY ONE A.S.A.P.

Patrick.B
02-11-2005, 11:15 PM
B&B i wasn't saying anything bad about the truck ..and i don't plan on buying a $45.000 or $55.000 ..i do believe that would be a great work truck but my business is not big enough to have a special truck like that ,,,if anything change in my business in next few years Its would be buying an inclosed triler ,,,,

Lawnworks
02-15-2005, 08:57 AM
I have my own version of a super lawn truck and it was $15k. I have a $1200 gate system that is more efficient than there $6500 gate system. I think they are good trucks, but you are crazy to pay 50k for a truck you could have for 20k.

rookie03
02-22-2005, 01:56 PM
I have my own version of a super lawn truck and it was $15k. I have a $1200 gate system that is more efficient than there $6500 gate system. I think they are good trucks, but you are crazy to pay 50k for a truck you could have for 20k.

Show us some pics of your setup. How does your gate system work?

Lawnworks
02-25-2005, 02:47 PM
Here is a pic of the gate.

OBRYANMAINT
03-20-2005, 02:49 PM
lawnworks,

can you give us some info on your gate mod to your npr?

where was it made/installed?etc?

Lawnworks
03-20-2005, 10:41 PM
I got the dovetail installed at K&K Manufacturing in Griffin, GA. This is really turning out to be a popular choice down here. The dovetail is 4 ft long and the gate is spring loaded and has a trailer hitch installed, but I don't think it would handle pulling something real heavy like a skid steer due to the hitch being so far out back, but I have pulled about 4k lbs or so.

ToroLandscaper
06-14-2005, 01:05 AM
Lawn works that is a awesome truck at night do you just pull the door down on the back of the trailer? Also did you buy the box truck new or used?

Lawnworks
06-14-2005, 07:16 AM
Yup we just pull it down and lock her down. I bought the truck from a wholesaler that buys them from Lowes. It was fleet maintained. 110k miles - $10,9k No problems at125k so far.

orangejbird
06-15-2005, 12:13 PM
Is that an engineaire precleaner on the Dixie?

br549oicu8
07-12-2005, 01:35 PM
That truck really does look nice and that is coming from a trailer lover guy. Very impressive nice mod!!!!

MowMoney
07-21-2005, 05:21 PM
I have a setup similar to the Super lawn truck system, although I dont have the fuel tanks and Hydrolic ramp. I do however have a spring assisted ramp that opens and closes much quicker. and I have a Dump box incorporated onto the truck for landscape waste. The set up works great.

Sean Adams
07-21-2005, 05:57 PM
I do not disagree with anyone when they say that these trucks are not cheap... but please do not compare a used $10k truck and a home-made ramp, gate, etc... with a Super Lawn Truck. You have to see one, get in one, drive one before you comment.... If you can't afford it that does not mean it is not worth it.

Lawnworks
07-24-2005, 05:41 PM
What the hell are you talking about? A $6500 ramp system that is more prone to failure than my "homemade gate" is a better option? They take less energy to operate, but all the moving parts, hydrolics, etc are just one more thing that can go wrong. Plus they are not as fast to let down as one similar to mine. Super lawn trucks is about 30 minutes from my house so please don't "tell" me which is a better option. 50k is alot of money for a truck that is just going to get beat to hell everyday. For smaller companies like mine that are focused on turning a profit, SLTs are not an option.

Sean Adams
07-25-2005, 10:17 AM
How can you claim that the SLT gate is "more prone to failure" than a gate system you created? A lot of money, energy, and research went into the development of this "system" - it is not merely a truck. I was not directly knocking your gate system, I was just saying it in general. But you say that because it has "many parts" it will break down - that's like saying an 18" reel mower is more effective than a 60" ZTR because it has more "parts".

And just because SLT is 30 minutes from your house how does that qualify you from proclaiming what is a better option? That's like me saying "Hey, I live 30 minutes from the Ford motor plant so I know Chevy makes a better vehicle." - Makes no sense....

And finally, as I said before, I do not deny that a BRAND NEW Super Lawn Truck is not cheap. But you get what you pay for. If you look around you will see a lot of small and new business owners finance $40,000 trucks, buy $3,000 trailers, spend thousands on customizing their truck and trailer and that does not include the ability to have a rolling "advertisement" like the SLT nor does that set-up have the ammenities that the SLT has (carry multiple crew members, large fuel tank, gate system that turns into a work area, and so on.

And you said that the truck is something that is going to get "beat to hell everyday" - maybe that is how you choose to handle (or mishandle your investments) but many people in this industry take stellar care of everything they own.

You cannot justify the statement in anyway that owning a SLT will not permit or allow a smaller company to turn a profit. It is all in how you manage (or possibly mismanage) your business. They key to turning a profit is efficiency. If someone can afford a SLT and they use it the way it was intended to be used, there are too many advantages to deny in owning one of these rolling businesses on wheels.

I'm not saying that a truck and trailer does not work.... I'm just saying that the SLT is a viable alternative.

olderthandirt
07-25-2005, 10:46 AM
Customer perception of you and your company! How many high end commercial accounts want to see a guy and his pick up parked out. SLT is a more professinal way of showing off your company while still getting a truck that was designed for this business.

Lawnworks
07-25-2005, 10:03 PM
How can you claim that the SLT gate is "more prone to failure" than a gate system you created? A lot of money, energy, and research went into the development of this "system" - it is not merely a truck. I was not directly knocking your gate system, I was just saying it in general. But you say that because it has "many parts" it will break down - that's like saying an 18" reel mower is more effective than a 60" ZTR because it has more "parts

It is a nice unit, but I just don't think it is a cost effective option. My "homemade" gate system is more efficient and more cost effective. $1250 installed verses $6500 installed. And my unit is far from homemade. A manufacturing comany does a great job of fabricating the gate system. My gate does not have a hyrdrolic pump, fittings, etc. At a point something will need replacing.

And just because SLT is 30 minutes from your house how does that qualify you from proclaiming what is a better option? That's like me saying "Hey, I live 30 minutes from the Ford motor plant so I know Chevy makes a better vehicle." - Makes no sense....".

You made a comment assuming I have never seen one of these gates, when in reality I see them in use almost every day by Bass Custom Landscapes.

And finally, as I said before, I do not deny that a BRAND NEW Super Lawn Truck is not cheap. But you get what you pay for. If you look around you will see a lot of small and new business owners finance $40,000 trucks, buy $3,000 trailers, spend thousands on customizing their truck and trailer and that does not include the ability to have a rolling "advertisement" like the SLT nor does that set-up have the ammenities that the SLT has (carry multiple crew members, large fuel tank, gate system that turns into a work area, and so on.

I am just saying there is a more cost effective option. Design your own SLT and spend 25k instead of 50k.

And you said that the truck is something that is going to get "beat to hell everyday" - maybe that is how you choose to handle (or mishandle your investments) but many people in this industry take stellar care of everything they own.

I am going to disagree with you here. I happen to live in the real world. Whe you have other people running your crews, things do take a beating.

You cannot justify the statement in anyway that owning a SLT will not permit or allow a smaller company to turn a profit. It is all in how you manage (or possibly mismanage) your business. They key to turning a profit is efficiency. If someone can afford a SLT and they use it the way it was intended to be used, there are too many advantages to deny in owning one of these rolling businesses on wheels.

I'm not saying that a truck and trailer does not work.... I'm just saying that the SLT is a viable alternative.

Well what I am saying is build you own SLT and save 25k.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35043

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC
07-25-2005, 11:09 PM
OK A FEW THINGS....
1) DO ISUZU TRUCKS BREAK DOWN ???? I NEVER KNEW THAT BEFORE :rolleyes: .....I DROVE ONE FOR 4 YEARS AND IT NEVER MISSED A DAY. ON RAINY DAYS WE TOOK IT FOR BS STUFF LIKE OIL& LUBE/ TIRES AND BRAKES. IT NEVER HAD A WARRANTY ISSUE OR FAILURE OF ANY KIND.
2) I BET THE SLT GATE COULD SAVE A LOT IN THE CASE OF AN OSHA VISIT OR A WORKERS COMP CLAIM.
3) WE HAVE HAD A LOT OF NASTY ACCIDENTS LOCALLY INVOLING LANDSCAPE TRUCKS AND THE DOT IS CRACKING DOWN HEAVY. ALL MACHINES MUST TIED DOWN AND FUEL CANS SECURED. THE DOT IS DOING CHECKPOINTS IN A DIFFERENT LOCATION EVERY DAY AND HANDS OUT SOME HEAVY FINES. ENCLOSED TRAILERS AND TRUCKS ARE USUALLY WAIVED PASSED WITH ONLY A QUICK VISUAL INSPECTION. ( THEY ALMOST NEVER GO IN A CLOSED TRAILER UNLESS IT IS A POS OR LOOKS OVERWEIGHT. SO YOUR ENCLOSED UNIT SECURES YOUR EQUIP AGAINST THEFT AND WEATHER PLUS SAVES TIME IN NOT HAVING TO TIE EVERYTHING DOWN.

ed2hess
07-26-2005, 05:17 PM
Lawnworks,
I like you truck and set-up. We looked at the super truck a few years ago and the price was out of line for our business. And, I do not like the big ramp system can't use it in tight residential situations. They need to redesign the ramp and get the price on their unit down around $30K, maybe get a simple Ford chasis. Most of us don't need a unit that will go 250K miles we average about 5K a year.

fourseasonlawns
08-07-2005, 07:52 PM
Where do you park this thing at night? It seems like an easy target for theft. Do you have a trackable alarm system on there?

Lisk
09-04-2005, 11:44 AM
Honestly, i think the whole straight truck idea is pointless. I'd rather spend 50,000 on a f550 dump thats a hell of alot more versatile than a straight truck. Can you pick up stone, mulch, and top soil with those? No!......Also 35 seconds for the ramp to either go up or down is very long when your trying to meet your goal at the end of the day, beat the rain, or even beat daylight. I'd rather just stick with pulling the the door down manually....takes a whole 3 seconds if that.

dbianchilndscpe
09-05-2005, 08:44 AM
I have been looking for a box truck with a manual ramp similiar to my Pace and Wells Cargo trailers.I don't know if the D.O.T. will let them be on a box truck but it would save the $6500 on a SLT. It would also be a big time saver and not have as many moving parts to break down. The back of the truck would need to have a sloping dove-tail the last 3 to 4 ft to meet ramp length clearance, but is possible. Does anyone know of anything on the road or if it's allowed by the D.O.T.?

Lawnworks
09-05-2005, 10:02 AM
I have seen boxes w/ dovetails. They are out there... you probably have to go to a commercial truck dealer. The ones I have seen have a mesh gate that is flush w/ the back of the box as well as a pull down door.

jbc789
10-01-2005, 09:15 AM
I agree with many of you...the SLT's are overpriced and many more affordable alternatives are available. In addition, why is the owner of this website giving advice on how to run a landscaping business. MR. ADAMS OWNS AND OPERATES A WEBSITE NOT A LANDSCAPING BUSINESS. If I want advice on running a landscaping business, I'll talk to someone who has been in the business for 10 or 15 years and is out in the field working. Owning a website that caters to landscapers DOES NOT make you an expert on landscaping. If you want advice on your website, talk to Mr. Adams. If you want landscaping advice, talk to a landscaper.

cubbie
10-11-2005, 11:37 AM
personally i like that truck, b/c it will save time, in the fact we don't have to get gas like ever 2 mins b/c they gas and mixed gas will be on board, and the ramp might go faster in real life then the video, it is a good concept, b/c i can't back up a trailer worth anything, but i can backup a truck like that in a heartbeat

MOZE4MUNY
11-29-2005, 10:57 PM
Is SLT a sponsor? They look like nice rigs, but maybe too rich for my taste. I've looked at them and they've spawned some great ideas if my business evolves that direction. Considering the length and nature of my routes a new box truck isn't foreseeable. I have considered building a rig quite similar to Lawnwork's. His looks like a very efficient and proffesional solution. SLT isn't for everyone, no sense arguing Ford vs Chevy, gas vs diesel, Echo vs Stihl, open vs enclosed. Everyone has varying conditions and services which doesn't lend itself to a one equipment fits all solution.

Lawnworks
11-29-2005, 11:04 PM
No doubt the SLTs are a super nice truck, but for a small company it is hard to justify 50k truck versus a 30k truck that accomplish the same tasks. At the end of the day the $6500 gate does not make you more money than the $1200 gate. And the $6500 gate will have more wear issues down the road. To me the SLTs are just hard to justify... but then again my bottom line does not have 6 zeros behind it.

lawnsbyrj
12-12-2005, 05:14 PM
Man if I am gonna spend $50k on the buisness I am going a diffrent direction. I am going used dually with a stake bed dump or adding it and buying a nice 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton streetable truck. I can see a need for a box truck or landscape bed but those to me are too tall, you need like the toyota's that uhaul uses with dual rear wheels. I agree with most everone here that Gadgets have their place. but when others are incharge of using your stuff , GADGETS GET BROKEN. so if i am gonna have a crew running around they are in a base model truck and trailer, or a used landscape bed truck, $50k is not for the average lawn care company.

DUSTYCEDAR
12-12-2005, 05:37 PM
i have seen there trucks and i think they r great but i can afford to have that setup for 50k
i did find something close from supreem truck body it has a dovtail but it gets the job done for about 30k http://www.supremeind.com/html/service_bodies/vanscaper/main.html

MacLawnCo
12-12-2005, 07:26 PM
Thats right Dusty. I got a quote this spring of about $8k for that body. I decided to get an enclosed trailer instead.

DUSTYCEDAR
12-12-2005, 07:29 PM
i really like the body my friend has 1 and it works out great anyone can drive it i was looking at putting that body on a ford cab and chassy

green_mark
12-13-2005, 11:44 AM
I purchased a used 24' straight truck and put on a cube van ramp from www.handyramp.com.

This has worked as a floating warehouse on wheels with better maneuverability than a trailer.

COLLINSVILLE
12-13-2005, 12:18 PM
green mark, will a zero turn go over the top of the ramp with out draging?

green_mark
12-13-2005, 01:11 PM
The ramp is 12' long with a center support leg that can be adjusted to provide a two angle entry point. With this feature, I have never had an mower bottom out. This truck in the photo is dock high. Anyway the ramp can be modified to suit your individual needs prior to taking delivery.

South Florida Lawns
01-15-2006, 06:31 PM
WOW

I could have 2 used NPR's and 2 decen't sized Z's for the price of an SLT alone.

And I don't see anything going wrong with a simple dove tail and hinged ramp, just give'r a little grease and never worry about it failing.

Hatchett Brothers
01-29-2006, 11:02 PM
thanks for the pictures

Hatchett Brothers
01-29-2006, 11:27 PM
I have just purchased a 2000 Mitsubishi w/16' box and need to build a ramp. I couldn't actually find any pictures and may be doing something wrong but i would like to see what you have done. Are there any improvements you might add if you were to build it again?

Carolina Lawn Care
02-09-2006, 12:37 PM
I would like to take a look at the pic you have posted but can't seem to have access to it. Please help

rjblg05
03-01-2006, 07:47 PM
HHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA what a Joke, you have to be kidding. This may be useful only if you have a very large commercial business, but I now possible way can it help the residential industry.

twj721
03-01-2006, 09:37 PM
I personally think all you guys are being very closed minded about the concept of this truck. I drove 4 hrs on a Saturday to their facility and Gary Fellows bent over backwards to meet with me on a weekend. The GATE system lowers in 35 seconds (YES I DID TIME IT). I was concerned with that also. The reason the gate system is a little pricey is because its a locking rear door, a ramp, and a work platform as well and i feel it is worth the investment. The fuel storage system holds enough diesel, gas, and mix to run a lawn service all week. You just pull up and pump like at the station. I dare any of you to price the same tanks, fuel pumps and other materials used on the fuel storage system and mount it cheaper. I know i can't. If the truck breaks down get it fixed and run your pickup and trailer till it is fixed. I don't plan to sell my trucks and trailers just because i buy one of these. And finally you can get the truck loaded (truck, 16' box, all accessories and interior racks, gate/ramp, fuel stations, chrome wheels, receiver hitch) with marketing package on all 4 sides for $45,000 to $50,000. And if you think that is high go price any 3/4 ton diesel or a dually. I did $55,000 for f-350 and still have to pull a trailer. So why not have it all in one. Less maintenance, easier handling, and better in tight subdivisions and anyone can drive it and you don't have to train people to back a trailer. I PERSONALLY PLAN TO BUY ONE A.S.A.P.
B&B
you are right that not a bad price I stopped by the chev dealership here last month they ha a crewcab cabover with not anything fanacy with 16 ft landscaping bed with dove tail and manual tailgate already on it and they quoted me 52500.00 I would love to have one but they would be a muder in this house already in enough trouble seeing how I bought a 61" turf tiger last May and just got finished buying a Scag Saber Tooth Tiger with a 72 " deck last week
What I would like about the truck set up is is is compact no trler to hookup or unhook from.
It has to get better fuel mileage than what I get when pulling my trailer all I can say is maybe before I retire or die I would like to have one but not a real topshelf thing . TWJ

Lawnworks
03-01-2006, 10:41 PM
Point is... you don't have to spend 50k on a truck to get one that does the exact same thing.

MowMoney
03-02-2006, 12:19 AM
I built and applied for a patent on this set up a few years ago. Its been a long wait and lots of money but fiiiiinnnnnaaaallllyyy I was granted a patent. I have several of these trucks on the road and several other companies in the area run them as well. Lots of benefits to them over the traditional truck and trailer set up and the crews love them. but true, its not for everyone.

Regards,
Mowmoney

B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc
03-05-2006, 11:04 AM
Guys,
I know this truck is debatable from everyones standpoint and everyone may not have a need for this truck. Let me explain my situation since i made one of the first post supporting these trucks. My business is a mix of 80% residential and 20% commercial. My oldest pickup was a 1996 GMC K1500 4X4 with 257,000 miles pulling a 2003 built rite 16' open lawn/landscaping trailer. I started looking at first of 2005 for new Diesel trucks. I was pricing the GMC or Chevy dually 4X4 with duramax diesel. Yes i like a little style and percs in my work trucks so the prices were between $45,000 and $52,000 and i still would have to pull an open trailer. I looked at the super lawn trucks and i love them and still support them firmly but i found a great deal on a very similar truck and could not walk away. I now have a 2003 Isuzu Diesel NPR HD with a crew cab and only 27,000 miles. One of my customers deals in lease trucks. It had no bed on it so we had an 18' enclosed box added and a custom 4' dovetail added to rear with manual gates just like my trailers. I got in this truck for the amazing price of $31,000. Lots cheaper than a new dually and it's enclosed. Pull up to the house in the evening pull down the door and lock her up. Now tell me that's not a great investment. Have plenty of pics if anyone interested. But like i said this steup may not be for everyone but for the money i could not turn it down.

B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc
03-05-2006, 11:09 AM
HHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA what a Joke, you have to be kidding. This may be useful only if you have a very large commercial business, but I now possible way can it help the residential industry.
By the way RJBLG05. Since you live in Huntsville AL and I am in Guntersville, AL, only 45 miles away i would be more than happy to show you my setup and maybe you would see both sides of the deal.

Lawnworks
03-05-2006, 02:41 PM
Guys,
I know this truck is debatable from everyones standpoint and everyone may not have a need for this truck. Let me explain my situation since i made one of the first post supporting these trucks. My business is a mix of 80% residential and 20% commercial. My oldest pickup was a 1996 GMC K1500 4X4 with 257,000 miles pulling a 2003 built rite 16' open lawn/landscaping trailer. I started looking at first of 2005 for new Diesel trucks. I was pricing the GMC or Chevy dually 4X4 with duramax diesel. Yes i like a little style and percs in my work trucks so the prices were between $45,000 and $52,000 and i still would have to pull an open trailer. I looked at the super lawn trucks and i love them and still support them firmly but i found a great deal on a very similar truck and could not walk away. I now have a 2003 Isuzu Diesel NPR HD with a crew cab and only 27,000 miles. One of my customers deals in lease trucks. It had no bed on it so we had an 18' enclosed box added and a custom 4' dovetail added to rear with manual gates just like my trailers. I got in this truck for the amazing price of $31,000. Lots cheaper than a new dually and it's enclosed. Pull up to the house in the evening pull down the door and lock her up. Now tell me that's not a great investment. Have plenty of pics if anyone interested. But like i said this steup may not be for everyone but for the money i could not turn it down.

Sounds like you have a sweet truck? Got any pics? I think buying slightly used and equipping the truck yourself is much more cost effective than a new Superlawn truck. Although I do like their fuel system.

LawnMowerMan3875
03-05-2006, 03:55 PM

Where's the pic. I can't see it...

LawnMowerMan3875
03-05-2006, 03:59 PM
Never mind, I found those pics..Really nice setup MowMoney...Do you offer trash pickup in my area....JK....That would really come in handy...I throw all the trash and brush into the back of my pickup and then clean it out later...Kind of a hassle to do it that way...Any Idea's...

MowMoney
03-06-2006, 07:29 PM
Thanks LawnMowerMan. If the price is right I'll do trash pick up in any area!!! I do alot of residential work in the city and it's proven to be a great time saver in the way of manuvering, parking and having everything you need to do the job readily available. Not to mention the security aspects and the time saved loading and unloading every day. I recall the days when I used a P.U. truck and trailer too and yes it is a bit of a hassle. About the only way to make life a little easier would be to install a dump insert, I'd think.

Happy mowing,
MowMoney

biglawndog
03-06-2006, 07:53 PM
MowMoney,
Great setup. I've been trying to find someone in South Florida that builds a dump like that and I've had no luck. Where are you and how much would it cost me or do you know anyone down here that can do it?

MowMoney
03-07-2006, 12:22 AM
BigLawnDog,

I sent you a PM. Let me know if I can be of further help.

grassaholic
05-17-2006, 01:09 AM
Mowmoney, The pics you posted of the red truck with the dumpster look just like the Super Lawn Truck that I'm interested in. I've been thinking about collecting grass with my Walker mowers year round, instead of just in the fall when I pick up leaves. The only problem is I need a way to hold all of the grass clippings. My current setup is a dump trailer with a billygoat in the fall to reamove the leaves and grass clippings. I can't use that setup all year because it requires 2 trucks and the dump trailer is used by the landscape crew in the spring and summer. Before I get a bunch of replies about how crazy I am for collecting consider this. I mow 90% high end residential lawns. These homes have elaborate landscapes and small to medium sized lawns. Right now I use 52" side discharge decks to mow the accounts that work fine. The problem is the SD decks get lots of grass in the landscape beds and around trees. Then I have to go back and blow all the grass out of the beds which is impossible to do without blowing some mulch out at the same time. Eventually the tree beds and other areas end up with little to no mulch in them and look like crap. I'm also tired of double and triple cutting lawns to mulch up the clippings and make them look good. My Walker[with GHS] can cut a thick lawn and look good on the first cut without screwing up the landscape and making a mess everywhere. Yes I have demoed several different mulching decks and they just don't work well on the Bluegrass/fescue lawns I cut. The lawns grow way too fast from April till about the end of June for a mulching setup. Even when the hot/dry weather hits most of the people have irrigation and water the crap out of their lawns so they stay thick and green all season.
I guess my Question Mowmoney is, What is the difference between your truck and the Super Lawn Truck?

MowMoney
05-23-2006, 09:43 PM
Gasaholic,
Please Email me at GrassMasterTruck@aol.com or PM me.

Thanks,
MowMoney

Christine
06-06-2006, 04:13 PM
Super Lawn Trucks seemed to be a bit overpriced!

The gate system alone cost what a new mower would! I finally got to see them first had at GIE in Charlotte. Some of the wood "pretty" cabinets with clear plastic fronts would take some abuse with a crew! They actually had a briefcase in a slot inside the bed of the truck like a prop! God know all us lawn care guys need a secure place for our briefcases! They have some good ideas but remember if you have money for a truck like this most likely the owner will not be the operator and a crew can be abusive.
This is pretty funny. SLT does not have a place where you can store your briefcase. It was probably one of the workers using the bin to store their briefcase.

Christine
06-06-2006, 04:14 PM
How long does it take for that gate to go down...watching that video it seems to take forever. In that time on a postage stamp lawn i would be finished and driving off with my regular trailer ramp gate before that thing was down. I just don't see how it saves time.
The gate takes less than 35 seconds to go up or down.

MowMoney
06-10-2006, 10:12 PM
Grassaholic,

I work in the Chicago-land area where Fescue and Blue grass is predominant and grows thick and quick so I experience the same problems when it comes to mulching. Like you I have found that bagging the clippings is requirement for most of my jobs. First let me say that the SLT is a fine truck. But to answer your question, the biggest difference between the SLT and my truck is the waste bin and the rear gate/ramp. The SLT is very narrow in size and as such you are very limited in volume capacity. My waste bin is much larger in size which will allow you to carry more volume. This is especially crucial for spring clean ups when there is a fair amount of thatch and debris collected and in fall for leaf clean up. It also comes in handy for small mulch jobs and other lite material hauling. You can even slide a pallet in to it if needed. The bin can be built with a volume capacity of nearly 6cy. As for the rear gate/ramp, The SLT gate/ramp moves rather slow, taking some 35 seconds to open or close. If you make as many stops as my crews do in a day (20 to 25) you can imagine how much this will slow you down. For example, 3 men to a crew x 70 seconds(open & close) x 20 stops = 1hr 10sec per day x 6 day = 7 hours per week x your average crew rate (say $12) = a cost of $84.00 per week. Mine on the other hand is opened or closed in under 5 seconds. Using the same formula above your weekly cost is $6.00. A difference of $78.00 per week. I think the larger waste bin in its self is a pretty significant difference. And when you consider the differance between the gate/ramp, it warrants strong consideration.

dwc
06-12-2006, 10:54 PM
do you use walker's and if so how do you empty the walker into the bin?

jet andrew
06-22-2006, 10:12 PM
CAN YOU EMAIL A PICTURE OF THIS GATE CMONTGOMERY@COX-INTERNET.COM

jet andrew
06-22-2006, 10:49 PM
can you email me a picture of this gate. cmontgomery2COX-INTERNET.COM

Mayday's Man
12-23-2006, 09:58 AM
I received a qoute for one and it was $47,000 equipped my way truck, box, ramp, gas tanks. It was to much monthly to profit itself, but the idea is solid if you have employees wasting time learning to pull trailers, fueling equipment, loading-unloading if you don't have a enclosed trailer which I already do, and money saved on tires, ins., registration on trailer. I was researching the idea when I came across there site. I've seen the hydro Ramp in person and watched it go up and down, nothing like the speed of my trailers spring assisted ramp. I don't know if can plow or not, I live in Orlando, FL. I've done all or most of the research if you have any questions.

Mayday's Man
12-23-2006, 10:27 AM
Lawnworks, Where can I see your truck pic.

Mayday's Man
12-23-2006, 10:34 AM
Please send me pics.
Jason@maydayslawn.com

ant
01-01-2007, 01:31 PM
please send pictures to
anthony@cgmlawns.com

mezammit
03-09-2007, 08:17 PM
I noticed on your profile you have some grid iron trimmer racks. I was looking at buying a trimmer rack from them. How well do they work.

scogdell
03-21-2007, 10:47 PM
It sounds like there are lots of mixed reviews here on the SLTs. My brother-in-law Mike purchased one last year for his business and he loved it. He said it saved him time because he didn't have to worry about backing and unhooking a trailer each night. He was going to use it as an on-site workshop as well for sharpening blades, etc. And he was pretty quick with the gate.

Sadly, Mike died a month ago unexpectedly. I am helping my sister with the estate. Mike's SLT has a GMC frame, hydraulic gate, auxillary fuel tanks and other extras. It has less than 5000 miles on it. I have the SLT with me in Maryland and am trying to sell it. He paid closed to $46K for it. If anyone is interested in a used, low-mileage, like-new SLT, please contact me.

Thanks.
Steve

mcwlandscaping
03-21-2007, 11:11 PM
Very sorry to hear about your friend! best of luck with everything!!!

for better results, post this in the "for sale" section of LS

scogdell
03-21-2007, 11:47 PM
Thank you. I posted again in the sale area although I couldn't repost the pictures, so I listed the link.

Steve

DUSTYCEDAR
03-22-2007, 09:18 AM
sorry for your lose are the mowers for sale? or just the truck
is it gas for diesel?

Marek
03-23-2007, 09:10 PM
Does this truck have the side door on the box ? Does it have the hydro rear ramp? What is the length of the box?

scogdell
03-25-2007, 12:54 PM
Hi,

It does have the side door and the hydro ramp. I'll have to measure the length and width and get back to you. But for reference, I had an Exmark 72" straight in, and two Exmark 60" behind that turned sideways. Then I had about 6" to spare from there.

I have a lot of pictures. If you send me your email, I'll email them to you.

Thanks.
Steve

Marek
05-23-2007, 05:16 PM
What type of mpg do the diesels get?

Waterscapes By Design
07-28-2007, 07:50 PM
man how difficult would it be to lift a bag of clippings up over the side of that bed??
I do like the lil dump part of it, but it doesnt seem much easier to lift a heavy bag of lawn clipping 6-8 ft in the air and try to dump it in there...

Also, I dont use catch bags so I dont really know how much they weigh, just seems like they would be heavy...

verant
10-02-2007, 10:05 PM
this super lawn truck is impracticle and it looks dumb too, and expensive

BrandonsLawnAndSnow
10-27-2007, 08:44 PM
I would never get a truck and trailer in 1, bc if the truck ever broke down your screwed, and if you had a truck and trailer seperate, you could always get another truck to pull your trailer

Lawnworks
10-28-2007, 03:10 PM
why wouldn't you have a trailer anyway? These trucks do pull trailers as well you know?

TINYTRACTORSERVICE
11-23-2007, 11:49 AM
Hi all some what new here Just letting u all see my new little bizz. I picked up a 94 Diesel 17' u haul truck My BX24 Kubota tractor fits well inside c pics all my Implements to. I still have a lot more work to do to the truck to get it the way id like it. Backhoe & thumb,box scraper,tiller,post hole digger. If you have any input Id like to here it Thanks TINYTRACTORSERVICE http://TINYTRACTORSERVICE.COM :usflag:

mowman84
02-05-2008, 02:47 PM
SLT trucks are a joke. Is it really that hard to learn how to back a trailor. I know i can mow all day with a 5 gallon gas can full then fill it up at the end of the day so there is no down time, and the ramp... give me a break. I dont think that big sign is any better than mine on my door. Also Can't plow snow, Cant put rock, mulch in back just doesn't make any sense.

Lawnworks
02-05-2008, 03:14 PM
I disagree. I am seriously thinking about adding the fuel system to my nprs. My guys fill up everyday at the gas station while I pay for there time. This 15-30 minutes per crew everyday adds up.

These trucks are explicitly for maintenance not landscaping. Typically when you grow you will have dedicated divisions/trucks.

As far as trailers... they are a pain. Trailer tires, lights, and bashed quarter panels are reason enough to stay away from them.

The ramp is a joke though. The dovetail versions are much cheaper $1500 vs $6500 for the hydraulic ramp. Plus that hydraulic ramp is slooooow.

As far as the signage, I think people will notice a 16' sign a bit more than 2' sign that every mowing joe has.

PlatinumLandCon
02-06-2008, 05:33 PM
I don't get why anyone would buy a SLT when you can easily adapt any box/cube truck yourself. There's only a few things they change, aside from the slow a$$ hydraulic ramp. You can buy a used box truck and add all the goodies and have about $10-12k invested.

Tinytractorservice, thats a sweeeeeeet setup, I'm going to send you a PM.

JohnnyRoyale
03-25-2008, 06:38 PM
Honestly, i think the whole straight truck idea is pointless. I'd rather spend 50,000 on a f550 dump thats a hell of alot more versatile than a straight truck. Can you pick up stone, mulch, and top soil with those? No!......Also 35 seconds for the ramp to either go up or down is very long when your trying to meet your goal at the end of the day, beat the rain, or even beat daylight. I'd rather just stick with pulling the the door down manually....takes a whole 3 seconds if that.

Although I havent read the rest of the thread, i do agree with you. I like to make my trucks as versatile as possible, and if it means I have to pull a trailer around, so be it. The SLT is a great idea, but if you go one step further and mount that box on a hooklift, you could slap a dump body on the same chassis when your not using the SLT Box. But its gonna cost you another 10-15K or so.

Triple L
03-25-2008, 08:24 PM
totally agree. plowing might not be too bad if all you do is drive forward. forget about backing up!

I think it would be an awsome plow truck, in the fall bust out the tractor and impact wrench, pop off the u-bolts and pull the body off, slap on a 4-yard snow-ex salter on the frame and your laughing straigh to the bank in the winter, expecially with a truck with a payload of that compacity... Then come spring slap the body back on and away you go in the summer, Plus you could use the body as outdoor storage in the winter time... I think SLT are awsome idea's except I totally agree about getting a spring loaded gate over thier hydro gate, other then that, I will be getting one soon!

johnnybravo8802
04-10-2008, 08:38 PM
They are nice trucks. I spoke with Tony at an expo in Orlando back in 00.' I looked at the trucks and asked the same question. I ended up getting an 01' Isuzu(versus the Super lawn truck) that was a little nicer with the sliding side door for about $10,000 less. I didn't have the hydraulic ramp, or the auxiliary tanks, but I didn't see the point of it versus the drop down gate. That's an expensive option and something else to break. Not knocking Tony's trucks(nice guy)-just can't see spending an extra $10,000-that's another mower.

johnnybravo8802
04-10-2008, 08:43 PM
I've seen the hydraulic ramp operate and you're right, it is slow and does slow you down. That was my impression in 00' and still my impression 8 yrs later.

DUSTYCEDAR
04-10-2008, 09:12 PM
I HAVE seen many coolways to get the gate down on a straight truck and cant wait to see what else is coming

dbianchilndscpe
04-30-2008, 01:11 PM
Have you checked into a ramp door for the back of your truck? Like a Wells Cargo trailer has on the back w/an overhead spring similiar to an overhead garage door spring? I have a granny goose aluminum bodied potatoe chip truck i want to convert to a gardening truck,but a ramp door is a must. Dominic Bianchi dbianchilndscpe@comcast.net 559-786-0476 Thank you.

Koby
07-22-2008, 11:03 AM
I have to tell you i might be cheaper to by a delivery truck and go to home depot and get racks and bolts

Kglenn04
09-23-2008, 02:45 PM
2500 for a gas system heres what you do go to The home depot get you some 11gal tanks fill em up good and cheap 12 bucks

Kglenn04
09-23-2008, 02:55 PM
so I was out cutting my lawn the other day with my mower I just bought when the landscaper next to me said all I need is a trailer well that sounded good but I think he was thinking get a trailer and hook it up to the car I thought to my self isn't that bad so if there is anyone who can school me one tucks and trailers 101 i'd be greatful

johnnybravo8802
02-28-2009, 03:58 PM
I built and applied for a patent on this set up a few years ago. Its been a long wait and lots of money but fiiiiinnnnnaaaallllyyy I was granted a patent. I have several of these trucks on the road and several other companies in the area run them as well. Lots of benefits to them over the traditional truck and trailer set up and the crews love them. but true, its not for everyone.

Regards,
Mowmoney
I haven't read this thread and maybe I'm missing something. How did you get a patent on that truck? That idea has been around for a while. Again, maybe I missed something.

MowMoney
03-09-2009, 05:57 PM
Hi johnybravo8802,

The idea may have been around for a while which is why I said "a few years ago" as it relates to the patent. The patent wasn't issued until 2004, and it wasnt applied for until 02', and the whole concept of the dual body set up even further back. Super Lawn Trucks was the first to really come to market with a box truck set up, except they did not have anywere for the clippings and landscape waste. I came up with the idea of incorporating 2 bodies (box body with ramp and side dumping landscape waste bin). Super lawn truck didnt start offering this option until after I came up with it. Here is a link where you can see the patent info for yourself, http://www.google.com/patents?id=mVgQAAAAEBAJ&dq=6817676 . Hope this answers your question.

Best.

johnnybravo8802
03-09-2009, 06:59 PM
Hi johnybravo8802,

The idea may have been around for a while which is why I said "a few years ago" as it relates to the patent. The patent wasn't issued until 2004, and it wasnt applied for until 02', and the whole concept of the dual body set up even further back. Super Lawn Trucks was the first to really come to market with a box truck set up, except they did not have anywere for the clippings and landscape waste. I came up with the idea of incorporating 2 bodies (box body with ramp and side dumping landscape waste bin). Super lawn truck didnt start offering this option until after I came up with it. Here is a link where you can see the patent info for yourself, http://www.google.com/patents?id=mVgQAAAAEBAJ&dq=6817676 . Hope this answers your question.

Best.
I certainly wasn't questioning it, just a little confused. Good job on the patent. I've been doing this a long time and have had some ideas but don't know how to get them in motion. It seems like every time I think of something, it pops up in a magazine. I have my idea of the perfect mower but it's all up in my head. I wish I had an engineering degree and a lot more smarts-I'd be rich my now:laugh::laugh:

bwatley
04-16-2009, 11:10 AM
What the hell are you talking about? A $6500 ramp system that is more prone to failure than my "homemade gate" is a better option? They take less energy to operate, but all the moving parts, hydrolics, etc are just one more thing that can go wrong. Plus they are not as fast to let down as one similar to mine. Super lawn trucks is about 30 minutes from my house so please don't "tell" me which is a better option. 50k is alot of money for a truck that is just going to get beat to hell everyday. For smaller companies like mine that are focused on turning a profit, SLTs are not an option.

Lawnworks, I agree with you. I am a small business and I would have no use for that truck. Maybe some of the larger companies would profit from it, also you can only have one crew on that truck, if you have several trucks out there you have several crews thats the way I see it. I'm not paying 40K for a pickup let alone this super truck.

Lawnworks
04-16-2009, 11:28 PM
Lawnworks, I agree with you. I am a small business and I would have no use for that truck. Maybe some of the larger companies would profit from it, also you can only have one crew on that truck, if you have several trucks out there you have several crews thats the way I see it. I'm not paying 40K for a pickup let alone this super truck.

Exactly, especially in this economy. Used isuzu values have hit rock bottom. I love my isuzu trucks, but do not have 40k in all three of my mine. The maintenance and repair cost on these trucks is great. Not to mention new trucks nowadays seem to fail as much as the used trucks... minus the 1k payment.

dadertgf
07-15-2009, 04:16 PM
haha about the plowing. I think that is a good idea like not having to worry about tools being stole and having everything on board. But the price would kill me i could have tools stolen and still make more of a profit becuase the cost of the truck is to high.

Marek
10-14-2009, 02:35 PM
Will there be a Superlawn truck in Ky at the show?

skclawncare
12-05-2009, 02:43 PM
I like the idea of a super truck and think it looks nice but still I like the old fashion truck and trailer combination.

lawn plus snow
02-19-2010, 02:35 PM
1998 Isuzu NPR
116,218 miles
Chevy 350 gasoline engine
12,000 lb GVW
151" Wheel Base
18ft box

This truck has been completely outfitted with all the equipment needed to run a lawn maintenance crew. Truck is easy to drive because of it's extremely tight turning radius, and works perfectly to pull in at the shop and lock it up. No loading or unloading of equipment, and no garage needed!

Has 10 ft fold up ramps that allow for driving heavy equipment into the box. See The ramps were installed new in 2008.

Truck has a Super Lawn Trucks Fuel Station System (Cost new was $2500 plus installation). Here's what superlawntrucks.com says about the tanks: "Save Labor, Prevent Spills, Reduce Mixing Time! Heavy-duty construction allows for convenient storage of 39.5 gallons of regular gasoline and 14 gallons of pre-mix fuel. Completely installed with electric fuel pumps, fuel gauges, hoses, hand valves and vented fuel caps. You will carry enough fuel to last all week and prevent wasted time at the gas station."

Has 2 JoBox tool boxes mounted under the rail for quick walk up access.

Inside the truck there are racks for 4 trimmers, racks for blowers and other tools, shelves in the front and a ladder rack for an 8' or 6' step ladder.

The hard to find 18ft box fits 2 large zero turns and a commercial walk behind mower all at the same time.

New tires.

$8950

Call 636-337-0606 and ask for Justin. Or reply to this by email. I will get back to you right away.
http://www.caldwellequipment.com/familyphotos/boxtruckfront.jpg

conyerscorp
03-22-2010, 12:25 PM
There are cheaper solutions to this system. A spring loaded dovetail and the inside tricked out by Conyers Truck Bodies.

PetesLandscape&Supply
03-22-2010, 12:35 PM
There are cheaper solutions to this system. A spring loaded dovetail and the inside tricked out by Conyers Truck Bodies.

Post some pics...

ron greentree
11-13-2010, 04:23 PM
seems over priced to me i mean i looked at them but really it just is a over hyped box truck with a few mods make your own just my 2 cents as far as their claims to make you more profitable is complet bs onsite fuel storage for example you still have to fill the thing just like you would with any other fuel storage who knows maybe they just bring the gas to you:laugh:

PetesLandscape&Supply
11-13-2010, 04:48 PM
Yes there cool to some degree , but no way would I buy one for the price ....and then have it sit in a garage for 5 months till spring....best bet is an enclosed trailer and truck.......:)

palombo
11-17-2010, 08:48 AM
I am looking for a used Trugreen spray truck... Anyone know where to find one ?

electronics2667
05-18-2011, 07:41 PM
They seem like great people, but I priced their gate system and gas system and it is ridiculous!! $6500 for the gate and $2500 for the gas system!! No thanks I think I will try to be a profitable business.

I have been to their plant in Ga. & they prices are alot higer then anyone else , you can customized a truck yourself for about half of there price. Nothing on there lot is under 10,000.00 for what i seen. I am from Live Oak also are you still in business.

FoxHill
05-05-2012, 07:39 AM
I'm new to this site so bare with me.

Looking to go from an open trailer to an enclosed. Anybody have opinions on brands of enclosed trailers, as far as which brands are constructed better, last longer, are more popular, etc?

Try and keep the postings to something I'ld be able to aquire, I'm in the northeast (Massachusetts).

Thanks

vistalawncarega
09-02-2012, 11:50 AM
price seems a bit high but all in all a pretty good truck. You might want to do
some more research on the gas mileage , I would try to talk with someone that actually has one. Maybe someone here can add to that.