PDA

View Full Version : I've turned into CHEM-LAWN !?!?!?!

LwnmwrMan22
07-16-2004, 03:16 PM
I've been running behind with my second round apps because of 28 of 35 days of rain May - 1st of June, then mowing equipment failure, then family from Germany here for 6 weeks, then the 4th of July, then 2 days of rain AFTER the 4th of July.

Anyways, I had one of my banks call me up and tell me I killed the yard.

For a split second I thought CRAP! Prosecutor instead of Momentum! :eek:

But then I know better, so I told the guy I'll be over to check it.

About 3 weeks ago I was going to spray the yard, but ran out after 1/5 of the yard and realized I didn't have any more Momentum in the truck, and then with the 4th, rain, etc., I didn't get back there for a week. Then 2 week, I drove by the place and my flags that I had put out before, the ink had ran on my flags (I print them off on an ink jet printer, so the ink runs if there's enough water, so I can tell if a property had been watered or not.)

So, I start to spray again, and the owner comes out and wonders why I'm going to spray again. I take him to the area that I did, and show him how the dandelions and clover are dying, and show him the rest of the yard, where the weeds haven't been touched yet, and explain to him what happened.

He says ok, and I proceed to spray, post NEW flags and get on with life.

Last week I drive by the place and it looks dry. Not the dead gray color grass will turn when it's dead dead, but just a dry tan color, so I don't mow it, I leave it. The signs have just ran a touch, about how much they will from heavy dew.

I go in and tell the banker that I'm not mowing that week, because the irrigation hasn't been on, and they need to turn it on, since I'm not going to mow and stress out the grass more.

So, long story getting longer now, I go over to the bank today and show the guy the cracks in the ground in a couple of areas and show him where the grass at the bottom of the gutters is a nicer green that the rest of the lawn.

He SWEARS up and down the irrigation is on, that I must have put down too much chemical and that I've destroyed the lawn and that I WILL have to replace it.

I go back into my truck and take out the two signs and show him the one where it rained on the sign, how much my ink has ran, and show him the sign that was posted for the last week where the irrigation hasn't been on, and tell him that the irrigation is NOT on, and THAT'S who's responsible.

He still doesn't believe me, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

I told him to call the irrigation guy, have him come out and check the irrigation system, if it's not that, I'll fix the yard.

Now I get to wait for the phone call saying, "you're right, the irrigation wasn't on". :D

jajwrigh
07-16-2004, 03:28 PM
Sounds like you are trying to take on too much a one time!!

TSM
07-16-2004, 03:48 PM
I could swap stories with ya all day long. lol
heres one...
customer has a fairly large lawn and has finally opened up his wallet to have a irrigation system installed. of course he hires the guy with the cheapest estimate.
I know the company he hired (they suck)
anyway, customer calls me says lawn looks bad, he thought it was his irrigation not working properly so he called that guy first...that guy goes out there and tells customer ite a disease, he sees it alll the time, so customer calls me.
I go out there and from up the street i can see that his irrigation does not give uniform coverage. I walk the lawn with the customer and his wife. i ask them to pick a spot where they feel the lawn looks the best...they do...i go over with my soil probe and pull out a core of nice moist soil. then i ask them to pick the spot they feel looks the worst, they do....i go over with the soil probe and i can barely get the thing in the ground. the small plug i was abe to pull out blows away with the wind, lol, so i tell them that their irrigation system...well, it sucks and you get what you pay for.
the customer gets a bit ticked off because he thinks I'm making excuses and he thinks the irrigation guy is probably right that it is indeed a disease.now i cant help but laugh at the guy..."look, i showed you the proof, wher it looks good the soil is moist, where it looks bad its dry as can be"

anyway, i suggest he set up another appointmewnt with the irrigation guy and that he tell me when they will get together on his lawn. I get there early (on purpose) park my truck across the street and one house up. the irrigation guy shows up...40 minutes late, but at least he showed. I then get up in this guys face and ask him to name the disease! well, he says he doest know the name but he knows it is a disease because he sees it all the time on his customers lawns.LOL (pathetic) I agree that his customers lawns must look terrible IF he installed a system like he did on this property. i pull out my trusty soil probe and the irrigation guy says he doesnt have time for this and leaves.
I turn to the customer and say that i showed up 20 minutes early for the meeting and waited the until this clown finally showed, i prove to him with my soil probe that he has large gaps in his system and his only response was that he didnt have time for this. I once again pull plugs out of the lawn and tell the customer to get a uniform color they need to get those dry spots to be as moist as where the lawn is green.

they called another irrigation company, all set now.

Pilgrims' Pride
07-16-2004, 04:34 PM
lwnmwrman,

Get yourself a soil probe.
Customers cant argue when you show them dry soil!

specialtylc
07-16-2004, 11:48 PM
Couldnt you have gone over to the irrigation controller and showed him right then and there? I would have.

James Cormier
07-17-2004, 09:13 AM
soil probes, so many guys nowadays dont even know what there for

sounds like TSM was gonna use his as a weapon

DUSTYCEDAR
07-17-2004, 09:31 AM
soil probes dont lie

TSM
07-17-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by James Cormier
soil probes, so many guys nowadays dont even know what there for

sounds like TSM was gonna use his as a weapon