PDA

View Full Version : Perma Greens in the South?

ArchiesLawns
07-16-2004, 09:46 PM
Anyone on here live in the South and own a Perma Green?

Just wondering if you have ever sprayed your pre-emergent with your machine? If so, what kind of control did you get? I used barricade this spring, but I was wondering how simazine was going to do this fall?

So far the control has been pretty good.

Just curious how you did this year with your spring app.

Thanks

jajwrigh
07-17-2004, 12:20 AM
Just a question...why would a pg be any different in the south? Or the north, east, or west for that matter? I am not trying to be a smarta**, but I am being serious...

DUSTYCEDAR
07-17-2004, 12:24 AM
i luv my pg as a spreader but as a sprayer i am not to happy with it and i dont think the pump is powerfull enough to get even spray pattern
i have not sprayed any pre-emergent with it because of that

ArchiesLawns
07-17-2004, 01:25 AM
The only difference would be (from the south and the north) would be down here we spray our pre-emergents own our bermuda and zoysia lawns. Where LCO's in the north use a granular pre-m. That is the reason for my question. Since I am in the south I was just wanting to here from some people down south and what kind of control they got with there pre-m. Our crabgrass season is a lot longer than the north, and I wanted to see what kind of results people were having.

Thanks for any input!

James Cormier
07-17-2004, 10:19 AM
The other day I was spraying talstar on a very dry lawn, it was blazing hot and the lawn was very dry...rice crispies....any way I was watch the front tires and they where getting very wet from the spray, when I was on the driveway I was amazed at the amount of material ( liquid ) that was showing up on the drive.

My thoughts where just how much product was getting into the lawn, wouldnt things work much better if the spray boom where on the back?

DUSTYCEDAR
07-17-2004, 10:25 AM
I thought the same thing but then it would be in the way of getting on and off

ArchiesLawns
07-17-2004, 07:10 PM
James,
I sprayed a lawn just the other day with msma. After I sprayed the lawn, I went to the next door neighbor (who is a customer) to put fertilizer out. Did not have to spray anything, the yard has been clean for years. Anyways, 3 days later I went back by the house I sprayed with msma, and you could see my tire tracks for about 20 feet where it had burned the bermuda from the msma.

I guess what I am trying to say is, yes James there is alot of material getting on the tires. Especially, when you are putting out talstar it can be be expensive!

Archie

LwnmwrMan22
07-18-2004, 08:47 AM
James -

Couldn't you turn your nozzles up more, so the spray is shooting about 15-20 degrees up and then out? I've got it set up this way to get the 11' spray pattern, and I don't have that much material on the wheels, at least not from the nozzles. I suppose the tires pick it up off the ground when I run over the grass, but I don't think there's really any way around that.

Even with a skid sprayer, your feet would have picked up some material. I suppose if you had the boom on the back, that would eliminate some, but what a pain of always looking over your shoulder to see where the spray was going. :confused:

scweedman
07-18-2004, 09:20 AM
I used my ultra this year for post app. and it worked fine.
I just find it hard to fert. and spray at the same time.
Especially in high gear.