PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Ram 3500 Disel.

RedWingsDet
07-17-2004, 06:53 PM
well, im going monday to look at a 3500 disel 4 door, 4x4 that they have, they have a sale going on, and its a good price, the paper said the sale ended friday, but im going monday to hope they still have it, and if they do ill be getting it!

im so excited! ill be having the biggest truck at school. lol

Randy J
07-17-2004, 07:53 PM
That's a lot of truck for your age Mark. I'd sure love to have one. Congrats if you get it.

Rich's Lawn Care
07-17-2004, 08:00 PM
It's going to look funny pulling that 5x10 trailer.

RedWingsDet
07-17-2004, 08:37 PM
yeah i know its gonna look soo goofy, but itll be good for hauling around large loads for landscape supplies. also, i plan on getting a 16ft trailer in the near future

and ya it is a big truck for a 16 year old. but itll last me a while, and then in a few years ill prolly need another truck so can get another truck like this or bigger :) lets just hope they keep the sale till monday!

kipper
07-17-2004, 10:11 PM
If they are in the business of SELLING cars they should sell it to you for the sale price. Look for any records you can find on the vehicle especially if it is a diesel. They are very fineky about the maintenance and repair methods. Run the numbers to make sure you are getting a good deal, many people try to jack the price on a diesel up right know because of fuel price and reliabilty, oh and I forgot to mention POWER !!! Good luck hope you get a good deal.

RedWingsDet
07-18-2004, 10:18 AM
the deal is lease it for 24 months. 1500 down, and 333 a month. its a ram 3500 diesel 4x4 4 door. its awsome, i just hope they have the sale still. then once the lease is up, ill be able to buy it.

GeoffDiamond
07-18-2004, 04:42 PM
With the rebates, and discounts out right now you shouldn't have to lease for 2 years first. If you can't afford to buy that truck over 72 months then its more truck then you can afford. Over the next 24 months you will spend almost 10K, 9,492 to be exact and you own nothing. All you own is the right to buy the truck at a predetermined price which will probably be the high side of kelly blue book. If you turn the truck in you may get hit for extra miles and they will hit you on any little dent or ding to the body.

So on the lease you have spent 10K over 2 years and own nothing. The buy out on the lease will be around 26K or so maybe even more. So now you have spent about 36K on a truck that you could probably have bought for 34K to start with. So you spent 2K more to lease the truck then buy it used at top dollar because you can't afford it now.

Your in high school do yourself and your credit a favor. Pick up a nice 3/4 ton or 1 ton gas regular cab pick up with am/fm, ac, cloth seat, ect. You can buy a truck like that all day long for less than 25K put down 5K or so and have a payment around 500 a month. The best part is that in 72 month or 6 years you will own the thing. Your a single kid, why do you need a 4 door crew cab?

Geoff

kipper
07-18-2004, 05:18 PM
It may not be what you want to hear but "Leasing" a vehicle is ot smart thing to do unless you own a big company and have no maintanence skill. You would regret not being able to put as many miles as you want on it.

Scag48
07-19-2004, 12:08 AM
I have one question, why buy a NEW work truck? Or a 1 ton truck for that matter? They ride so rough... I have a '00 GMC 2500 that I paid 11K for and I worry about scratching her up everyday. I would personally buy a used work truck and keep the extra $$$ and put it away. Remember, we're in this business to make money.

RedWingsDet
07-19-2004, 06:41 AM
geoff i want a 4door because when i run a 6 man crew and i have to pick em up it SUCKS having to make 3 trips to get em!!!

i cant get a new one cause i dont have the 15k or so that ill need upfront. and i figured if i lease something for 2 years, for 333 a month, at the end of the term i can buy it out. and also, i think itll be cheaper than 26k, cause my step dad has a 03 dakota sxt and at the end of the lease his buyout is only 6k. sticker price is 19k and his lease payments are 139 a month

selnoil
07-19-2004, 04:20 PM
16 years old, been in business for 3 years, only 43 lawns, 2 mid-size mowers (1 of which is for sale), 3 small mowers, and 6 guys. COME ON!!! Why did you ask us this question?? Admit it, you want this truck just because!!!!!!

How are you going to affort to register the truck if you don't even have the $$ to buy the thing?? You'd have more in your pocket if you did more yourself!!

Leases are not all the great advantages the dealer will tell you. But you'll find out. We've all been there, to be young and foolish again!!

HEY DON'T GET ME WRONG HERE!!! I love to here about a young guy out busting his butt making tons of dough and building his future but what your about to do doesn't make sence. It sounds like your going to spend all your $$ just cuz it'll be cool. Your insurance and registration and payment are going to sink you. Buy a nice used truck or suffer with the one you've got til you've saved 5 or 10 grant to buy a new one.

Your thinking all of us who have responded to you are a bunch of old farts knocking down a good hardworking young guy. Well I think your wrong!!!! I bet most (if not all) of us have been in your shoes!!!!!!! And hope that maybe we can convince you not to make the same mistake. Were not all old, gray, grumpy, and stupid out here.

Good Luck!
Mike

GeoffDiamond
07-19-2004, 06:01 PM
When you can't make your payments, or pay the insurance and at your age your looking at 2K for insurance, or pay to register the truck. I will be a the wholesale auto auction buying it cheap.

Geoff

RedWingsDet
07-19-2004, 09:58 PM
selnoil, i know it says 3rd year, but its really my 1st, my past 2 were just cuttin my familys and such with a lil 21" mower. this is my first BIG year.

see, i NEED a truck, i dont have 12k saved up for a used one. and i have about 4k to work with, so i figure 1500 down, monthly payments are going to be 333, so itll be around 2200 due at signing, and the rest for insurance and registration.

and im making sure i have ATLEAST 8 grand in the bank before november hits that way i wont be late on anypayments in the winter if it doesnt snow.

also, for some landscape jobs im going to need a few more guys, like the 6 i have right now...

but... when i cut i only take one or 2 with me so the truck i have now is fine, EXECPT for the engine, its NOT powerful enough. PLUS i want to plow and i need a 4x4 and bigger engine/truck. also the truck i have now is WAYYYY small for landscape jobs.

RedWingsDet
07-19-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by GeoffDiamond
When you can't make your payments, or pay the insurance and at your age your looking at 2K for insurance, or pay to register the truck. I will be a the wholesale auto auction buying it cheap.

Geoff

i have money for insrance. i pay over 250 a month for it now, which i know isnt THAT much, but it could be ALOT cheaper or ALOT more. im expecting it to be around 300-400 a month, but hopefully 275! lol. to be honest, im not worried about the insurance issue, i have enough to cover that.

Gilla Gorilla
07-19-2004, 10:10 PM
Dude, I would check on the price for the insurance on this truck before you go any further.

When I was 19 I wanted a 1995 Camaro Z28 with all the bells and whistles and power. I called my insurance company and found out that it would be $2800.00 every six months for me on that vehicle and that was with a clean driving record. That would have had me paying almost $900.00 a month to drive a cool almost new car. Anyways I quickly decided against getting that car and am glad at this point in my life that I did not get it.

I guess we are all just trying to let you learn from some of our mistakes or almost mistakes. Take it for what you will.

The best of luck with whichever way you decide to go.

jsr2741
07-19-2004, 10:34 PM
I'am only guessing but I'd guess a sticker of about 42k. $333 a month for 2 years on the lease and about $200 of that or more will go to intrest. So with that in mind $4800 in intrest and $3192 in principle after 2 years providing you only make minimum payments (finance companies love this). You've paid down a 42k truck to $38808. Oh and lets see you put down $1500 so that leaves you with a buy out option of $37,308 for a truck thats now 2 years old, probably 30 to 40 thousand miles, plus wear and tear pushing snow and dings and, scratches and dents. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Oh and full coverage insurance for a 16 year old, I don't even want to guess.

It's unfortunate we only learn by making mistakes and I imagine if you go through with this you'll be kicking yourself in 2 years.

Gilla Gorilla
07-19-2004, 10:41 PM
It's unfortunate we only learn by making mistakes and I imagine if you go through with this you'll be kicking yourself in 2 years.

I would almost guaruntee that he would be

GLS
07-19-2004, 11:14 PM
Age doesn't matter if you have COMMERCIAL truck insurance. At least not for my brother and me. We are 19 and 18 (respectively). The insurance is a lot higher on the new truck but the age thing doesn't seem to matter. Make some calls and find out for yourself. Just make sure you get commercial insurance because if they find out that you got in an accident while transporting your gear they can deny you your coverage.

DLCS
07-19-2004, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by GLS
Just make sure you get commercial insurance because if they find out that you got in an accident while transporting your gear they can deny you your coverage.

They can't deny him coverage if he uses that truck for personal use too. I'm guessing at his age that he will be using that truck more for personal than work. So, he should be fine without commercial insurance.

wriken
07-20-2004, 07:02 AM
With 6 employee's, payroll and workers comp must be killing you, I feel it alot with halve that many, you must be doing something right. Good Luck. I was talking to my accountant the other day about a nissan/UD/ or Mit's vehicle to haul my equipment, I was told me to lease, I know some say buy it, and I'm buying a 2002 f-250, maybe it good to lease for certain situations.

lawnjockey51
07-20-2004, 07:26 AM
We all work to get the things that we want, how many of you own a boat? Does having that boat mean that you are being extravagant, throwing your money away? NOPE, it means that you wanted it, you worked for it, and you deserve to get it. That boat is your reward for working hard, just like the big houses that we live in ... do we really need all of that house? NOPE, it means that you wanted it, you worked for it, and you deserve to get it. I say, this kid wanted it, worked for it, and deserves to get it. Is it the smartest financial decision ... NOPE. BUT, he's 16, he will recover, and twenty years from now, he'll be telling his kid that it would be better to "buy a used truck", "don't lease", etc. etc. ... Ya know, I might just go out this morning and buy a jet ski
JK

J-dub
07-20-2004, 09:27 AM
If I were you, I'd show some restraint and NOT buy this vehicle. It sounds more like you want this truck, rather than need it. I'd recommend getting something used and saving more money/continuing to expand your business. Whenever I want to purchase something "big-ticket" I always ask myself "... whats the hurry...". There's always going to be trucks to get, things to buy, etc. -- it's better off to wait.

Eric 1
07-20-2004, 08:28 PM
Personally i think you just what the truck and cant really afford it. I may be wrong but it just does not add up. I whent through the same thing this spring, and am still driving the same truck, and very glad of it.

If you do have 4k i would go get a nice used truck and not have payments. Like others said, if something happens to a mower you may be out of luck. If you do get this truck i would just buy it outright because of the reasons already listed, ie, the fast depreciation ect.

Best of luck with your decision.

RedWingsDet
07-20-2004, 08:46 PM
hmm maybe i should just wait some more until like september or so to get a truck, and maybe even just by the lowest model ram 1500 4x4 for like 14grand. im sure that would get keep me going for a while and be able to plow a few seasons with it.

dcondon
07-20-2004, 09:29 PM
use the money to grow the business.......... Not a $$$$$$ truck.

scottt
07-20-2004, 10:21 PM
I'm not that much older than you, so I remember what it's like to be 16 and want the coolest car at school. But I agree with the guys saying save your money. I bought an '81 chevy truck when I was 16 and paid cash for it. It wasn't the coolest car but it was cheap and reliable and kept me from working just to make car and insurance payments. I know everyone's answers weren't what you were looking for but they are right. Look at how many people are trying to help you.

RedWingsDet
07-20-2004, 11:24 PM
true. i really apperaite the help you guys have for me. im just trying to get a better truck that i can haul more people with when needed, and have a decent truck and not an old rickedy one. cause its hard to find a good used truck up here, and if u do its TOP DOLLAR. if i was going to go used, i would most likley take a drive down i75, which i may just do before i buy something new!

kemmer
07-20-2004, 11:41 PM
look around on cars.com and autotrader.com. ive been looking on there for a while now and ive found some good deals, but im probly gonna get a truck in septmeber. my dad doesnt want me to get a truck just to have it sitting there until i turn 17 and get myh license.

Gravel Rat
07-21-2004, 02:07 PM
I do have news for you a Dodge crewcab isn't a true crew cab if you figure you will pack 6 people comfortably forget it. If your looking for a good used crew cab look at a Ford or Chev srw 1 ton you can find a gasser anywhere.

I don't know how you guys can make a living out of cutting lawns guys that are 16 years old in this area would only make 10-12 dollars per hour at the most supplying his or her equipment.

As for buying a brandnew truck not a wise idea myself I'am worried about buying a 10,000 dollar truck and I have been in 1 ton trucking for 10 years.

You have to keep in mind the dealer is in it for making money the cheap price is too lure the sucker in for the catch once they got you in the net your screwed. That low lease price may look good but there is probably lots of fine print they don't show you.

GeoffDiamond
07-21-2004, 06:16 PM
I think it makes sense for someone to buy a new truck if they plan on "driving it into the ground". However this is if the person can pay for the truck in a normal amount of time. I think that is you can pay the truck off in 3 to 4 years you can afford the truck. If you have no money down ect, then yes maybe 5 is ok as well. If you keep the truck 8 to 10 years and have paid it off at year 4 the next 6 your ahead of the game, and really not faced with too many problems with todays vehicles.

I agree it is hard to find a "good" used truck. Even more so if your thinking of plowing with it.

Geoff

Mdirrigation
07-22-2004, 09:32 PM
I have a friend who leased a truck for work , he threw shovels and all sorts of things in the bed , when it came time to turn it in they wanted him to pay for all the dents in the bed and he also went over the miles allowed and they wanted 20 cents a mile, it was going to cost him over 4 grand to turn the truck in , he had to buy it , re inspect it and pay taxes on it again. You may want that cool truck , I would . But remember the novelty of new doesnt last as long as the payment book , soon enough its a 3 year old work truck with the same payment as a new truck . Good luck in what ever you do.

RedWingsDet
07-22-2004, 09:49 PM
you guys are right, im not going to buy a brand new truck for a while, and never lease it for work. im looking at a 99 ram 3500 diesel 8 foot bed for 14k right now. i can probably get him down to 11k. i took it for a test drive a few miles, and damnnnn its awsome.

only bad thing is that its not a 4x4. can i still plow?

kipper
07-22-2004, 10:12 PM
How many miles? Kinda important for a diesel and has he taken care of it, another big thing for diesel's. If you do get it please put some cash away for when it breaks.