PDA

View Full Version : sub contract pricing

turf hokie
07-17-2004, 09:12 PM
Just curious what kind of pricing you guys give to your LALA guys for a 5 step program 2 pre-m w/fert and 3 straight ferts with weed sprays as needed. Also just weed sprays with nothing else(48 hr notification laws have guys all worked up here).
Before you guys start......I've been licensed since 97, even worked for LESCO. Started my own gig this year in NY so you know I have a business license and insurance too. I know my overheads and costs, just don't want to be "that guy" who low balls.

turf hokie
07-18-2004, 10:34 PM
ok 28 peeks and no help
is 2-3 cents / sq ft for a basic 5 step in line for a season
and 4-5 dollars in line for a squirt if that is all the LCO wants.
remember this is sub work (bulk stuff)

James Cormier
07-20-2004, 08:50 PM
Sub work is tough, Most landscapers want you there yesterday, call and complain about each little problem and take forever to pay.

Then on top they want a discount?

Keep your regular prices for everyone

TSM
07-20-2004, 09:13 PM
actually, i was one of the 'peekers' yesterday, didnt have time to reply then.

James hit it on the head!!!

Landscapers will want you there yesterday

Will give you the attitude that their business is far more important than your business

Will complain....mostly out of ignorance, so you gotta be a very patient person to deal with them

Will take forever to pay...yet expect you to continue to drop everything when they call....regardless of how much $$$$they owe you

They do expect some sort of HUGE discount...even then, they will still take forever to pay!

KEEP YOUR REGULAR PRICES FOR EVERYONE

We are to the point we will not work (sub) for landscapers. unless they pay in full prior to any service.

Seeing as how you just started...yeah landscapers can SEEM like a good source of income, you will need to keep a heavy hand on them, keep them current on balances, and remind them (often) that they hired you for your expertise and that they dont know jack

when i started i did indeed solicit landscapers, so all the above comments is from first hand experience.

Pilgrims' Pride
07-21-2004, 07:58 AM
Gotta agree with James and T on this one.
Subbing yourself out can be tough.
Most of the guys you will deal with don't know spit but will try to make you think they do.
Then, as the other guys mentioned getting paid can be tough.
I suggest keeping these guys/gals well informed on ALL of YOUR policies from the beginning and things may work out.

In fairness, I do have a few that I work for who seldom if ever call, give me complete control over what and when and then there is a check in my P.O. right on time.

Just be smart.

turf hokie
07-23-2004, 01:13 PM
Thanks guys.
I have been doing work for a few and the checks are timely and they give me complete control. 48 hour notifications keep them from getting real antsy. It is at least 7-10 day turn around from the time they call until I can get on the lawn b/c of this law. I also have the advantage of knowing who doesn't pay, who pays slow and so on from my time on the other side of the counter.

TSM
07-23-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by turf hokie
Thanks guys.
I also have the advantage of knowing who doesn't pay, who pays slow and so on from my time on the other side of the counter.

that could be a huge advantage to you!!

and the 48 hour notification, we dont have that (yet) in MA, could also be to your advantage when dealing with 'scapers.

good luck