PDA

View Full Version : ornamental care

jajwrigh
07-19-2004, 12:53 PM
Since I am starting small with my turf clientele next season, I was looking for additional services to supplement income. I was thinking about an insect prevention program for shrubs and flowers as well as fertilizing. Does anyone have any suggestions or feedback for me?

TSM
07-19-2004, 03:43 PM
lawns are, in my opinion, much easier to maintain. only a few insects to watch for. tree/shrubs a bit different. many more insects to know about, lifecycles, host plants, etc etc.

average landscape will have several different varieties of shrubs. each one could potentially have an insect population at different times.

Not that it is a bad idea for added income...i just feel it is much more intense and you need to be on your toes much more when caring for shrubs as compared to lawns.

Personally, at my business, we make sure a lawn tech is very well versed in proper lawn care (grass ID, weed ID, insect ID, proper application techniques, etc) before we start to train on tree/shrub care.
On average, in my opinion, one will need a minimum of 3 seasons in lawn care before they are ready to begin to learn shrub care.

Green Dreams
07-19-2004, 06:01 PM
I always looked at it the opposite, TSM. I like new guys on shrubs to start. They can do alot less damage spraying i & d than herbicides in my opinion...

martn
07-19-2004, 09:42 PM
Sell them a twice a year preventive program. Use Merit.

Green Dreams
07-20-2004, 06:27 AM
Y'all like Merit? I use it in the granular form for scale on bigger trees/shrubs. But as far as spraying it, I wasn't the happiest with the results.

jajwrigh
08-26-2004, 02:10 AM
Any other suggestions for a preventative product?

Neal Wolbert
08-27-2004, 02:10 AM
If you apply Merit correctly it should do a great job. Can be injected in the fall/winter or sprayed in season. What pests are you trying to control? Merit won't control mites if they are on your list. Floramite and Hexagon work the best in the Northwest anyway. Gets the bad mites and is gentle on the good mites and other beneficials. Neal

Grassmechanic
08-27-2004, 09:14 AM
I offer an ornamental program. Early spring a dormant oil app is applied to all evergreens, euonymous, and flowering trees/shrubs, with a few exceptions. Later in the spring, I do a root injection of fert., mychorrizae, and Merit. Generally, nothing else is needed during the season.

TOTALLAWN OF KY
08-28-2004, 09:28 AM
I have always followed this advice
"make money to grow your business"
"DO NOT GROW YOUR BUSINESS TO MAKE MONEY"
think about that
I made that mistake the 1st season or so and lost money
cocentrate on one thing till its making a lot of cash then keep growing it
you,ll thank me in the long run

philk17088
08-29-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by jajwrigh
Any other suggestions for a preventative product?

There is no single wonder product and very few preventative products. You are going about this with a mis- guided approach. Take the time to learn tree/shrub id, the problems that are inherant to them and the various treatment options. It would be well worth the money to take a short course on these factors before trying it out on customers.
As far as a business stand point, I prefer t/s to lawns. I can make a lot more money out of 200 gal of tree spray than I can out of 200 gal of lawn spray. The material usage is a lot less, handling of materials a lot less. etc, etc. As far as revenue, I shoot for $195 per hour for t/s. The best I can do on lawns is about $125-$135. Now if you really want to make cash, talk to a pest control operator. Thoseguys can really wring revenue out of a small amount of chemical if they know what they are doing.payup

philk17088
08-29-2004, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Grassmechanic
I offer an ornamental program. Early spring a dormant oil app is applied to all evergreens, euonymous, and flowering trees/shrubs, with a few exceptions. Later in the spring, I do a root injection of fert., mychorrizae, and Merit. Generally, nothing else is needed during the season.

How do you control mites? tent catepillar?mimosa webworm? Not to mention the various diseases that hit a lot of ornamentals.

Grassmechanic
08-30-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by philk17088
How do you control mites? tent catepillar?mimosa webworm? Not to mention the various diseases that hit a lot of ornamentals. Those pests are treated on an "as needed" basis. I've found that an application of Merit early in the season will usually take care of any problems with chewing-sucking insects. Diseases are also treated on an "as needed" basis. However, I have found that fungus problems are greatly reduced on ornamentals that have had an application of fert and mychorrizae (with the exception of roses).

D Felix
08-30-2004, 11:22 AM
I was thinking about an insect prevention program for shrubs and flowers
I wasn't aware that you had gotten your ornamentals license yet? Or have you/will you between now and then?

Just wondering, not that I have anything to add.:D

Dan