PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Ford F250 4x4 Super Duty Crew Cab

kemmer
07-19-2004, 01:34 PM
http://images.autotrader.com/images/2004/7/5/166/388/922054449.166388935.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

2000 Ford F250 4x4 Super Duty Crew Cab $17,200

Price.......................$17,200
Mileage....................79,912
Exterior Color..........Black
Body Style...............Truck
Doors......................Four Door
Engine....................8 Cylinder Gasoline
Trans......................Automatic with Overdrive
Fuel Type...............Gasoline
Drive Type.............4 wheel drive - rear

Comments
F-250 XLT SD OFF RD * Has Warranty! * Vehicle includes: Tonneau Cover, AM/FM/cassette/cd, Power Windows, Power Door Locks, Power Mirrors, Tilt Steering Wheel, Cruise Control, Tinted Glass, Interval Wipers, Air Conditioning, Power Steering, and Anti-lock Braking System.

Options Installed
Power Steering; Power Door Locks; Power Windows; Radial Tires; Clock; Trip Odometer; Tachometer; Air Conditioning; Tilt Steering Wheel; Cruise Control; Tinted Glass; Interval Wipers; Console; Carpeting; Day-Night Lever; Front Bucket Seats; Reclining Seats; Cloth Upholstery; Body Side Moldings; Fold Down rear Seat; Child-Proof Locks; Step Bumper; Sliding Rear Window; Trailer Hitch; Tonneau Cover; Anit Lock Brakes; Step Rails; AM/FM/CASSETTE/CD;

What ya think, should i get it?

Fishin LCO
07-19-2004, 01:41 PM
looks like a good deal to me. that is the same truck I am looking for:D

NNJLandman
07-19-2004, 01:42 PM
Hey my buddy is selling his 1997 F-350 Mason dump, Power Stroke Diesel 7.3, 52,000 miles on it, 10' dump body with 3-4' sides, western 8.5 snow plow, automatic, new trans. as of december I think he said, its a beautiful looking truck,(red) and its in awesome condition. Hes asking $13,000.00 for it. Gimme a pm if you want more information and ill put you in touch with the guy.

Jeff

kemmer
07-19-2004, 01:53 PM
thanks for the offer, but im only 16 and this will be my personal vehical also. but that dump is a great deal. But i dont have the need for it.

BSDeality
07-19-2004, 02:22 PM
two words. go diesel.

selnoil
07-19-2004, 04:29 PM
What is it with 16 year olds, I feel like I'm beeting up on you guys. Please read my last post to premierlandscaping's thread.

This looks like a great truck but please think it through. Registration, insurance, payments, ect. Your better off saving some money at 16 rather then spending it all on a fancy new toy. The newness will wear off real fast when the banks nocking on the down.

Rich's Lawn Care
07-19-2004, 04:35 PM
That is a sweet deal!!!

mag360
07-19-2004, 04:42 PM
get 'em down to $15000 or lower with the warrantee and you'll have yourself a good deal.

Randy Scott
07-19-2004, 04:53 PM
Big truck like that with a gas motor. Have fun at the pumps. Just not practical.

kemmer
07-19-2004, 05:24 PM
y is it not practical with plowing and towing? also i dont want to deal with diesel.

Woody82986
07-19-2004, 08:05 PM
I think it is a good deal. I don't know why everyone extends their opinion of the diesel engine over the gas engine. That isn't what the boy asked for. Just make sure you can handle the payments. The truck will be just fine.

Randy Scott
07-19-2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Woody82986
I think it is a good deal. I don't know why everyone extends their opinion of the diesel engine over the gas engine. That isn't what the boy asked for. Just make sure you can handle the payments. The truck will be just fine.

No, actually he did ask our opinion about the truck. If my opinion includes discussion about gas or diesel, I guess I'm including it.

From what I've seen these trucks go for, it's no special deal. It may be worth what they're asking, but certainly no sweet deal.

blublazes
07-19-2004, 08:30 PM
why dont you want to deal with diesel? a truck that size with a V8 is just too underpowered IMO, i have a 2001 powerstroke and it has all the power i'll ever need to do anything with, and i get around 17mpg, probably a lot better than you'll see out of that truck, just my opininon though, dosent have to be yours

Gilla Gorilla
07-19-2004, 08:39 PM
Once again the truck seems like a decent deal, but he might get tired of only getting 8.5 to 9.5 mpg when towing the trailer like I get now out of my 2003 F150 with a 5.4 liter.

That is one reason that I am seriously looking for a F250 or F350 at this point along with the added towing capabilties and added longevity from the motor.

Diesels do cost more up front to buy and also maintain but the quality is there in those motors.

That is just MY opinion though

Randy Scott
07-19-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by snowyleaflandscaping
y is it not practical with plowing and towing? also i dont want to deal with diesel.

It's not practical in the sense it most likely has a small V8. That's a lot of truck to move, aside from whatever you tow with it. You will not have any too much power nor will it be good on gas. Dealing with diesel means putting a different fuel in it. Oil changes are $45 done by yourself. That's the only difference between gas and diesel. We have a 2000 crew cab with a diesel, and a 2004 crew cab with the new 6.0 diesel and five speed auto. The new truck is incredible with the torque and power it has. Makes our 2000 7.3 seem like a joke. I can't imagine having a gas motor. We've got 92,000 on our 2000 and is still doing great (knock on wood). We have pulled trailers for 70,000 of those miles.

I guess ultimately, it depends on what you can afford and the application you put it to. Just be prepared to spend a lot on fuel. With your age and being new to driving, you will always be behind the wheel of that ride. You'll have more than paid for the diesel difference in fuel costs in less than a year, and lack power and resale in the future. Just my opinion though.

BSDeality
07-19-2004, 08:51 PM
i merely suggested diesel because that truck will not get more than 13mpg EMPTY. towing will yield in the ballpark of 8-9mpg. my cousin had a 99 f250 with the v8. he just traded it in because he was spending so much on fuel getting 9 mpg on a daily basis.

Scag48
07-19-2004, 09:28 PM
Towing a trailer on a lawn route would suck royally with that truck. It's so long and just big that I would seriously re-think that truck for towing a mowing trailer. Now, if you're towing alot of weight, such as equipment trailers and such where you actually need a truck that big, that's different. My dad has a '99 F-350 and I really hate driving it compared to my '00 GMC 2500.His truck has the worst turning radius I have ever seen, it takes forever to turn it around. When I'm running my route I like a truck that I can get turned around easily and that Ford is just way too big. But if you're set on getting a truck that big, go for the diesel. Your mileage is going to suffer if you don't and the V8 gas is underpowered, F-350's weigh around 7,000 lbs, that's alot of truck to move PLUS tow anything. So basically if you're getting a truck this big you're gonna be towing some big stuff, so do yourself a favor and go for the Powerstroke.

kbenvironmental
07-20-2004, 09:31 PM
I purchased my first F-350 diesel and would NEVER consider a gas truck again. The torque of a diesel along with 13 to 18mpg fully loaded won me over. Remember, at 100k mi the gas engine may start needing serious maintenance, while the diesel will just keep going, and going, and going....

kbenvironmental
07-20-2004, 10:58 PM
What F250 GAS engine is going to pull a trailer during the day and turn an 11 sec 1/4 mi that night ?

Obviously diesel F350 (http://www.nsswfla.com/~leighton/humor%20-%20stuff/F350Run.wmv) :D :D :D

Gilla Gorilla
07-20-2004, 11:05 PM
Dang KB that is impressive. That would not happen to be your ride would it???

selnoil
07-21-2004, 08:16 AM
Did you guys catch Snowyleaf's last post on Premier's thread?? If he purchases this truck its going to sit til September til he gets his license. As I've already said, doesn't make sence at this time!!! Hold off, you'll have a nice truck soon enough!! They make them and sell them every day.

kemmer
07-21-2004, 10:29 AM
actually i get my license in jan. but with leaf season we want to have a truck if we need to hual anything. also my dad wants it so if the snow is bad he can drive it. he just doesnt want it to sit there for such a long time and still have to pay insurance on it. but in september i plan on having a helper that can drive or worst comes to worst my mom can continue driving me. (she doesnt mind that much)

kbenvironmental
07-22-2004, 10:31 PM
Do you REALLY want to be a novice driver learning on icy roads? Won't you be pulling a trailer too? It's bad enough learning to drive a barge like our trucks let alone coupled to a trailer.

kemmer
07-22-2004, 10:47 PM
i am already driving a suv and pulling a trailer, so i am already used to backing up, and mauvering a trailer. when it is cold and icy i wount be pulling a trailer-lawncare.

dlandscaping
07-22-2004, 11:22 PM
Dont buy the truck
First why spend that much on a used one? You are more than likely going to have payments so why not buy new. You get your choice of options and a warranty for what 10 grand more. I doubt you can afford it anyways.
Figure
truck payment initial or yearly is at least $10k
Gas $4-5k
Insurance $3k
Do you have 17k just to dump into a truck?
Its only a bare boned xlt half that stuff isnt added options.
As far as being a long truck and Ford turning w/e its crap. I have a new supercab long bed 350 and i can put it wherever. I also drive a crew long bed and same thing, obvjously the drive thru at the local Mc D;s is a lil tricky but other than that its fine.
As far as the v8- i have one in mine after numerous diesel problems. Guess what im truck shopping again for a diesel. I get an avg 9-10 mpg city highway; Highest was 14 open tailgate highway. When towing i get 6-8. That is towing a 7*14 dump trailer weighing 10-14k lbs. Can the truck do it- yes would a diesel do it a little easier yes Ive tried it with both the 7.3l psd and 6.0l psd and the trailer empty is still heavy no matter what is pulling it. You will not pay off the cost difference from a gas to a deisel in a year unless you drive 60k miles a year.

kemmer
07-22-2004, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by dlandscaping

Do you have 17k just to dump into a truck?

actually i do, i have $19k laying around waiting to be spent on a truck.

dlandscaping
07-22-2004, 11:40 PM
So you have 19k
what happens if lets say u break your arm and have to hire help for all the fall. thats money. a mower breaks more money etc etc
You say you have 19, so buy the truck
no money left for insurance or registration or gas.
These things are alot more than you thought.
I found this out only after my second brand new truck in one year. Its tough to afford them and the estimated cost of a truck is always lower than what it comes out to be.
I put 21k down on a truck and guess what i still pay 750 a month for payment and insurance
my fuel bill is 450 a month
cell phone 60 a month
nevermind help or equipment. Do what you want i was getting you to think for a second.

txlawnking
07-23-2004, 01:35 AM
Snowy, listen to the older WISER, guys. First, that isn't any kind of good deal, second, I'd say the mileage figures posted by folks here ( 8-9mpg ) are optimistic, pulling trailer it would more likely be 6-7. Third, Why would you wan't or need a truck like that to WORK out of ?? You can find an older, clean Diesel or Gas, for that matter, for thousands less, that will serve your needs as well or better.. BTW there's a reason Ford sells like twice as many Powerstroke Diesel HD pickups than gas one's.. POWER and ECONOMY. That truck will be a dog. If it were me, I find something less thirsty, more affordable ( say, in the $7500 range) and take the money saved on a truck, and apply it towards something that MAKES you money, not costs more... Just my nickel, and I wish you the best luck either way, God bless you.

kemmer
07-23-2004, 10:23 AM
i understand what everybody is saying, txlawnking im not going to waste all on a truck, next season i plan on buying a wright stander also.

hosejockey2002
07-23-2004, 11:40 AM
I have to go with the other guys on this one. The 5.4 just won't cut the mustard in that big of truck. If you are dead set against a diesel look for a truck with the V10. It will have all the power you need but you'll really take it in the shorts at the gas pump. It's your money, but you can get a pretty decent (but older) truck for 10K and have the rest left over for all those unexpected expenses that tend to come up.

dlandscaping
07-24-2004, 08:47 PM
A friend of mine pulled a 37' trailer to the Cape and he averaged 6 mpg on the highway. I would highly suggest getting a diesel.