PDA

View Full Version : First top dressing job...

Lawn-Scapes
07-19-2004, 09:38 PM
I did my first top dressing job today... what fun. Thank goodness it was a small one. I hope to see a dramatic change in the lawn.

Now.. I have one question. My soil/compost mix had a fair amount of pebbles in it. Is this a good thing?

trying 2b organic
07-19-2004, 11:51 PM
Its ok, small pebbles in the "lawnsand" product I mix with premium topsoil and use sometimes. I had a topdress go bad when black medic took my organic matter and went nuts. What is the weed situation in the lawn you topdressed? Did you use 1 yard per k?

Gilla Gorilla
07-19-2004, 11:59 PM
The first top dress job I did this spring about killed me. It was 6 yards of the stuff they call Nutri Green top soil, apparently it was developed by the department of agriculture. The stuff worked great and two months ago they had a sprinkler system installed, needless to say that lawn gets double cut now since I have my mulch kit installed on my 36" wb.

Lawn scapes what kind of money did you charge and how many sq ft was the lawn

Lawn-Scapes
07-20-2004, 12:16 AM
There were only a few weeds. Yes.. I used approx 1 yard per 1000. It was only a 2000 sf lawn. It was my friend/accountant house... so I only charged him for materials.

Based on the time it took including pick up and hauling.. IF I do any future jobs I would probably charge no less than $125 per yard.

I just hope I did a fairly good job of distributing it evenly so it doesn't look patchy or streaky. :eek:

Gilla Gorilla
07-20-2004, 12:19 AM
How much does the top soil run you overthere?
For the Nutri Green Im paying $36.00 plus tax per yard and am laying and spreading it for $100.00 including materials

That first job I did in the spring was 6k sq ft and I also scalped and bagged it. Charged $620.00 but man was that a hard 7 hours

Lawn-Scapes
07-20-2004, 12:28 AM
My cost is $27 plus tax.

What was your technic for distributing it? 7 hours seems like a decent time... Nothing wrong with $56 per hour unless you had some equipment rental.