PDA

View Full Version : Spraying in mid=summer

trying 2b organic
07-19-2004, 10:23 PM
Its better to spray in spring or fall when the grass can handle the mild stress a 3 way puts on it. What do you do if customers ask for spray in mid summer?

Will a 3-way usually work against false dandilion or do you have to go with MCAP or mecoprop?

Im in process of getting licence and trying to learn all I can for next yr. Plus I have customers asking me the above for stuff they want to spray themselves.

sjj14
07-19-2004, 10:28 PM
I woild be real sure its gonna rain or the cust. has irrigation before putting any herby on in the mid summer season. all it takes is one 90' day after app and poof!

specialtylc
07-19-2004, 10:34 PM
I just got done doing weed spray last week on 50 acres of turf. It was in the low 90s. Heat is not a problem. You think all the big spray co. like TRU GREEN just sit around all summer?

trying 2b organic
07-19-2004, 10:35 PM
t.y. Im doing a lot of reading as I study for test and trying to balance against what I read vrs. what works and doenst in real world. Of course all the labels warn of high temps, its unusually hot here now and will tell cust to wait.

sjj14
07-19-2004, 10:38 PM
What are you spraying and what kinda of turf are you treating? just curious

trying 2b organic
07-19-2004, 11:45 PM
It seems like I will be spraying Trillion on P. Ryegrass. The thing I wonder about is that the 3-ways claim to work on pretty much everything but then they have specialized products to go after the tougher stuff like buttercup or cat's ear. Products like MCAP or pure Mecoprop. That makes me wonder, do the 3 way products (Killex, Par 3 and Trillion) really work on all 50 weeds they claim to? oh and Acclaim for crabgrass, and I found out the fix for annual bluegrass (Prograss) is unavailable in Canada.

So again, the books im studying to write my test wont recommend products, they just say read the label. Now I have to balance the wisdom of the labels with real world expertise and experience.

BCSteel
07-20-2004, 01:35 AM
Par III works good on everything that I have sprayed it on except yellow woodsorrel. I just can not kill that stuff.

I add extra mecoprop to my mix to make sure that I get the black medic real good.

Neal Wolbert
07-20-2004, 02:23 AM
Don't count on the Prograss for any poa with more than four leaves (very small...like can you see it?). Won't touch any more mature poa in the Northwest anyway. The deal with herbicides and temp is effectiveness when it's hot. The leaf stomata close up when it gets hot to conserve moisture. Spray when it's cooler (85 or less) and/or cloudy for best results. Neal

James Cormier
07-20-2004, 08:05 PM
You gotta use your head with this, If its hot say above 85 and the lawn is in drought stress but there are weeds present I wouldnt spray it, I would explain to the customer most likely it will look worse after spraying

Now I have sprayed on 90 days with confront but only on lawns that have sprinkler systems that are being used, ( no stress Present) and had no problems.

So its a lawn by lawn issue

TSM
07-20-2004, 08:16 PM
another good answer from James....

I was hoping that James would give his 2 cents worth on the dollor spot thread just below. I'd be interested to see your comments :)

specialtylc
07-20-2004, 10:31 PM
The temp warnings on most labels is a caution for drifting in the higher temps.

LwnmwrMan22
07-20-2004, 11:25 PM
Shoot.

Looks like I shouldn't have finished my rounds then.

Nothing but 90 and sunny for the next week.

Oh well, don't have to mow them now either ..... :)

James Cormier
07-21-2004, 06:05 PM
Thanks TSM, you make me feel special.

I read the dollar spot thread and it seemed like alll the questions were answered but I re check it and ad my 2cents:blob3:

Runner
07-21-2004, 11:41 PM
We've had to spray with every ap this season. With so much rain we've had, it is nothing but germination, more germination, and more germination. It's amazing how much spotting we've had to do.

MOW ED
07-22-2004, 10:16 AM
Runner I see the same thing here but I am letting the customer be the guide as most will tolerate some degree of weed infestation.
It personally drives me nuts to see generation after generation of weeds popping up in these lawns.