PDA

View Full Version : the heat is on

Charles
06-03-2000, 10:06 AM
96 degrees here yesterday in sc. We have had one 2 hour rain in the past 2 months. And the summer hasnt even began. I believe we are a month ahead of schedule in the heat and drought area. Soon it will take over much of the country. Doesnt take much time of 90+ temps to zap fescue. Like living in an oven. I can take the heat and humidity though. Just the lack of rain zaps the enthusiasm

Toroguy
06-03-2000, 10:16 AM
Charles,<br>I spent a summer in Savannah, it was the most uncomfortable heat I have ever experienced. You would need a water truck to accompany you on a route I bet.<p>Are you doing any yards?

Charles
06-03-2000, 10:32 AM
Not many yards at all Toroguy. Doing odd jobs mostly. Put my bushhog ad back into the paper. The only good thing about this is that the competition is suffering too. But i see alot of them out there cutting dead grass. This is what keeps alot of people out of the grass business here. Not too dependable at all. You have to be willing to diversify. But there is an ad in today paper for lawn care help with a national company with a 800 number. Wonder what they need help with? lol. This red clay we have is like cement at this point. Not many people even go outside in the summer and early fall. Now you cant go out in much of the spring.

Keith
06-03-2000, 03:58 PM
It is 98 here right now. It has been over 100 a couple of times already. The last really decent rain we had was aroun February 27th. We have had a couple showers, but not much.

Charles
06-03-2000, 04:21 PM
Keith, we are at 100 deg now. Might as well live in hell lol

Keith
06-03-2000, 05:07 PM
For the last three years it has been hotter, earlier. We have had higher highs already, than we do usually during the summer. Up until '98 a 100 degree day was unusual and maybe happened once every couple of years. We used to get seabreezes and afternoon clouds :) Not anymore. <p>What is really amazing is the ground heat. No wonder everything is brown. I dug a hole in a dry location to see at what depth there was any noticable moisture. At 10 inches the ground was hotter than the oustide air.<p>For those in Florida here is an &lt;a href=&quot;http://fawn.ifas.ufl.edu/Standard1j.asp&quot;&gt;automated weather site&lt;/a&gt;<p><br><p><font size="1">Edited by: Keith

Nilsson Associates
06-03-2000, 05:26 PM
It's weird to see an off season (within) a season with no rain. Maybe time to switch to HVAC with mostly AC?

osc
06-03-2000, 06:20 PM
Charles:<br>I'm really sorry about your weather. Many times I have wondered how people live in the south in the summer regardless of drought. <br>I lived in Florida for a year but I was right on the beach. I dreaded going inland in the summer. The humidity was unreal.<br>I also took a trip to Memphis in July once. The temp was 110 and that was not heat index but actual temp. I still have nightmares about those cady-dids or whatever they were screaming in my ears. You could'nt even think.<br>When my business was over I pointed the car north and I didn't stop for 10 hours.<br>I hope things turn around for you but if they don't then maybe you should move north for the summer and go home in the winter. You can probably pick up business up here and do better.<br>Good Luck Either Way.

Toroguy
06-03-2000, 08:44 PM
Charles,<br>The national lawn co. is probably looking to replace the people who were laid off...in anticipation of rain.<p>I bet with the extra time you've caught up on the latest movies, happy hour specials, etc. Try and make the best of it.

lawrence stone
06-03-2000, 08:55 PM
osc wrote:<p>&gt; You can probably pick up business up here and do better.<p>San Kinison said about people starving in Africa &quot;Why don't they just move to where the food is.&quot;

Eric ELM
06-03-2000, 09:25 PM
Sorry to hear of the lack of rain and intense heat in your area. We have the opposite problem, the grass is growing as fast as it did a month ago. We had rain 19 of the 31 days in May. I just came in and it almost seems cold, 62 degrees and 10 MPH wind with 53% humidity. I wish I could share some of this rain and cool weather with you. I guess it's that time of year when you guys hope for hurricanes so you can get some rain. I hope you get rain, but no damage.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

Keith
06-03-2000, 09:30 PM
We just had a pretty big thunderstorm roll through. I thought we were going to miss the rain but I think we got about 3/4&quot; or better. The air temp dropped about 22 degrees as well. Did get some hail though. I don't know if it damaged my Mustang, it is at another location. That would suck.

thelawnguy
06-04-2000, 07:54 AM
I am having my best season ever, its been much wetter than normal and cooler than normal so the grass just keeps on growing. In past seasons I would have some customers on 14 day schedule, not this year, if I cant keep to a 6 or 7 day schedule the lawns are a bear to keep looking neat. Grossed close to 7k in May, by myself no help, if June is almost as good it wont matter at all if it snows this winter Ill have clear sailing.<p>Pretty much the same story anywhere in the northeast.<p>Bill

Nilsson Associates
06-04-2000, 07:59 AM
Charles,<br>few suggestions ...<p>. take temporary employment in Mexico<p>. go to Australia, help southside out he's always talking big so he must be a big outfit needs help weed wackin the outback.<p><br>. add pavement maintenance to you kit, line painting parking lots, works good with no rain. Under $1,000 gets you in that, outfit<br>in Ocala, Florida makes the machines, buy airless, canvass the lots, ones where lines worn out, just walk in, you can paint an 18 foot line in 15 seconds, gallon of paint costs about $15 - $20 bucks, you end up making about $45.00 to $60.00 an hour after everything (net)in your pocket. Blowoff, paint and otta there paint dries under 5 minutes, few road cones, buy machine that goes between cars, don't try to get cars moved, paint between them with that narrow stainless machine from Ocala, goes in close, long as car tire not on line you can reach it, don't need advertising, drive around find worn out lines, count lines, for connectors divide by 18 feet to see equivalent lines, handicap symbols charge $25.00 each. Buy paint yellow, white after you get jobs, Home Depot has special pavement paint, plus you need naptha to thin down the oil base kind, don't buy water base, longer cleanup time. For small lots with like 20 to 30 parking spaces, charge a minimum of let's say $100 (it'll take you less than an hour to go, do, get out. For bigger lots charge by the number of lines at 18 feet. <p>Since you're in a hot clime, add this service, good one man job. Lines need painting every tow three years, so management can't remember who did it last time, new guy comes along, gets the job.<p>How's that for a way to get you out of a bind? You can make $45,000 plus extra if you work it right. Easy to teach a helper to do it too. Remember who you got it from. If you decide to go work for southside, when you see em, give him my best regards. <p>Phil Nilsson<br>Nilsson Associates<br>Green Industry Consultants<p>P.S. Charles, forgot to mention .. I wrote a book about pavement maintenance bizz (it's yours free) email your mailing address, I'll send it to you. My email address is Nilsson.Assoc@Snet.Net I only expect to get one address emailed to me .. from Charles. Thanks<br> <br><p><font size="1">Edited by: Nilsson Associates

HOMER
06-04-2000, 09:16 AM
Hey Chuck, weatherman said the rain may be on the way this afternoon and tomorrow, maybe even Tuesday. He also said this low pressure that was coming through was finally going to move the high pressure system out which has been our problem for so long!!!!!! All we can do is pray that for once he's right. Last year we had so much rain in June and July I couldn't keep up, maybe I'll have that same problem. That parking lot deal didn't sound too bad though, I have many commercial prop.s that I might be able to convince this fall to let me renew their stripes, don't want to do them now, that black asphalt would be hotter than h e double eck, know what I mean! <p>Think positive, cross your fingers, things will change soon.<p>Homer

Nilsson Associates
06-04-2000, 09:32 AM
Homer,<br>When I was in this bizz, we did the pavement thing .. started with doing the line marking, outside lines (and) inside lines, in parking garages, factory isles, inside stuff when it rained, some towns buy the line marking work doing highways, school crossing lines .. the bigger jobs done with a special road going truck. Fancy work like lining basketball courts, running tracks .. there's another world of work out there. There's a trade mag .. called Pavement Maintenance that covers that industry. Well anyway, the billing returns per hour are pretty good and the investment in equipment is low with the walkbehind smaller line markers. Just one more thing you can add to help guard against the downturns in mowing or landscape jobs. Lines get repainted ( do new work too starting from scratch from a plan) even during economic downturns ... lines get worn off, cars start to park &quot;crazy&quot; ... can't see the lines, less cars parked, lineup of cars out of whack, hanging out into travel lanes and stuff. For new work, you can't get a certificate of occupancy till lines are down.<p>Phil N

HOMER
06-04-2000, 09:37 AM
You may have sparked some interest. I mow 5 schools and they get their parking lots restriped every year, but they give that money to somebody else. I will definately check into the magazine and familiarize myself with the equipment needed. I mow around 30 commercial properties all of which have striped lots! This would be a great biz for the fall and winter, we don't have too much of a winter anyways so it would fit perfectly. Thanks for the idea, it made me think again............positively!<p>Homer

lawnnut
06-04-2000, 09:41 AM
North Carolina <br>We got gooooood rain yesterday!!!!!!<br>First in quite awhile I really thought it<br>would miss us again...<br>Those Florida fires have got to be bad.<br>

HOMER
06-04-2000, 09:45 AM
Congratulations! Maybe today or tomorrow will be our day for the quarter! I keep forgetting that it was bone dry last year too, always think it won't end but it will. I'm glad I ain't farmin' though, got to be depressing.<p>Homer

Nilsson Associates
06-04-2000, 09:58 AM
Homer,<br>Cranking out some ideas this morning. We did lots of commercial, and at contract signup time, included provision for doing lines, most clients said okay to that, &quot;yeah throw it in&quot;. I approached the bizz from point of view ... if it's done outside and it's maintenance? <p>To paint lines you need 40 degree minimum temps ... but if it's colder than that, you can heat the paint with a plumbers pot, paint dries at freezing temps in more time .. like 10 to 15 minutes instead of 5 minutes. One winter up north, didn't snow, so I took the line marking show on the road .. starting in Baltimore, went south all the way to Jacksonville, gone all winter painting lines .. banging on commercial doors, yankee accent didn't help .. but got the jobs anyway. No way was I going to deplete savings from previoius summers work, because of no snow. Mixed in work with going south, had fun, travel and made money. Fly back to see family once in a while. Opposite scenario is to go north in winter, bring your rig or get your entire crew &quot;hired&quot; each winter at a ski resort.<p>Phil Nilsson<p>

Charles
06-04-2000, 11:04 AM
Thanks guys for all the support and the advice. I am sure everyone down south here appreciates it. Phil I am taking your advice under consideration. The paving part is particularly interesting.<br>I haven't been focused on the heat really. I am very cold natured and would be miserable up north. I can easily handle 95 deg and humid heat. Now 100 on a regular basis and humid at that is getting kinda rediculus. I spent the first part of this year paying on the debt on a loan in the winter from last years drought. So i am scraping by just to pay this months bills. Normally this time of year I would just be worried about having time to get to the bank to make a deposit.<br>Glad NC got rain it looks like most of nc has been getting alot of rain regularly.<br>Homer according to the radar it looks like the rain is coming this way. But it usually disipates before it reaches here. It would take alot of rain. Maybe a flood. lol

Charles
06-04-2000, 02:10 PM
Oh ya Phil, about your free book offer. Thanks for the nice gesture. But I could not take anything for free. Its just not in me to do that. i have good credit and i will make it

trimmer
06-04-2000, 08:15 PM
I live in central floridia it has just started raining two good hard rains in a row man I couldn't be happier I thought it was going to be like '98 no rain, no money, fire, and was hotter than crap