PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this idea?

jajwrigh
07-20-2004, 03:17 AM
I have a 9hp Dixon ZTR with a small hitch on the back. I was thinking about using it to pull a 100lb spreader. What do you pros think about this idea?

vegomatic40
07-20-2004, 09:56 AM
While this sounds like a good way to be more efficient and certainly less work, it has several drawbacks over walking a property. If you are doing large properties (2 acre+) it may do a fair job and would be a good alternative when spreading lime and other amendments that don't require precision.
The other side of the coin is that you would be using equipment that has highly variable speeds. If applying fertilizer or seed the results would be dependant on putting product(s) down at specific rates and speeds. ZTR's by nature are difficult to regulate speed without some clever engineering such as governor's etc. Then you have the problem of turning the valves on and off while moving at the same time with both hands on the control levers. It can be done but calibration may be a nightmare.

jajwrigh
07-20-2004, 12:54 PM
hmmm....good point...thanks for bring those factors to my attention.

LwnmwrMan22
07-20-2004, 05:31 PM
Yep, I've got plenty of stuff around here where I could rig up a spreader or a sprayer, but to be precise, I don't have the time to get that in-depth.

Another reason I bought a PG Ultra.

PaulJ
07-21-2004, 01:04 AM
YOu might be better off mounting an electric spreader on the front. you'd have more control.

BCSteel
07-21-2004, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by PaulJ
YOu might be better off mounting an electric spreader on the front. you'd have more control.

Thats what I was thinking too.

greenerpastures
07-21-2004, 02:51 AM
Most drag types---sooner or later you are going to turn it over due to a pothole, sprinkler head, whatever, no matter how careful you are. Then you have a real mess to deal with.