PDA

View Full Version : Customer said, "Best I've ever seen the bushes look!"

tx_angler
07-21-2004, 12:31 AM
I haven't done much bush trimming before and although the owner is pleased I need a professional opinion, what do guys you think?

Before

http://www.lawnbarbers.net/images/640_DSC01177.jpg
After

http://www.lawnbarbers.net/images/640_DSC01187.jpg

prostriper
07-21-2004, 12:38 AM
They look awesome. What did you use to trim them with.

EastTnLC
07-21-2004, 01:00 AM
Very nice!! Very professional!!

42homers
07-21-2004, 01:01 AM
Look a lot better than they did. The little ones are harder for me to get right..........when it comes to shrubs........the bigger the better.

Homer

txlawnking
07-21-2004, 08:44 AM
Very nice man, I'd be proud too.

bayoulawn
07-21-2004, 10:09 AM
What do you guys use for the small shrubs?
I have wondered about getting one of those black and decker 8" cordless for tiny shrubs but didnt know how long they would last.

SouthernFried
07-21-2004, 10:55 AM
Looks pretty good.

I hope your charging enough. Constantly having to "Poodle" those Yaupon Hollie Trees will become your worst nightmare...unless your getting paid well for it.

I'd get rid of that Coppertone loquat behind and right next to that last Poodled Yaupon tree. It's a huge Bush, and doesn't trim nice...too big for that corner, and will constantly be in your way and crowd the Yaupon.

The nana/dwarf Nandina's are yellowing pretty badly...could use some iron/fertilzer to green 'em up...they always yellowing around here too. While the dwarf yaupons (not the yaupon trees) and other small bushes (looks like some boxwood in there as well, not sure tho, they could be dwarf yaupons) take well to rounding and keeping in balls...the nana-nandina do better in a more "free-form" trimming pattern. More "upright". You can still trim them, but...avoid the "ball" look for them.

Er...sorry...I do this to all my freinds and relatives too. Hazard of the trade :)

Sure looks a helluva lot better tho.

GRT
07-21-2004, 01:00 PM
Looks very neat, however, keep this in mind. It look like you gas-sheared those shrubs, which is quick and easy to do. Every few months or so, however, you need to get in there with pruning shears to ensure that they stay full and thick. If you constantly gas shear, they'll die from the inside out because light can get through the first thick layer...I suggest buying a book on pruning.

Doster's L & L
07-21-2004, 01:31 PM
The shrubs look very nice and neat!!

GRT,
You're talking about him using some hand pruners and lightly thin out the inside of the shrub, right? This'll keep 'em getting the sun they need on the inside of the plants. I'm sure we're talking about using the same tool, but we call it different names. To me, shears are the long scissors that are used to cut off the new growth of the plant. Pruners to me are specifically used to cut individual limbs/branches.

SouthernFried
07-21-2004, 06:17 PM
That is exactly how you prune Dwarf Yaupons. You did good...no need to ever use pruning shears to "let the sun in" on these puppies. They'll be bare on the inside...but, they won't ever be bare on the outside unless they die from freezing or disease, or a super extended drought... and pruning them to "let the sun in" won't help that at all, plus they'll look stupid with gaps in 'em to let the sun on the "inside." Who freakin' cares what they look like on the inside.

BTW, as much as some customers love it...I think poodled trees are one of the more obnoxious things you can do to an otherwise gorgeous small tree, like those Yaupons.

Doster's L & L
07-21-2004, 09:20 PM
I'm not talking about cutting large chunks of the bush out. Ya just take a few stems out. This increases the leaf surface area of the plant on the inside. The more LSA you have the more photosynthesis takes place. The more PSN taking place the healthier the plant. The healthier the plant...... You see where this is going. :)

EastProLawn
07-21-2004, 09:23 PM
Nice job indeed...........

SouthernFried
07-21-2004, 09:29 PM
Lookin' back at the picture...I just had to giggle.

He's got the darn things copyrighted!

And I so wanted to use those pics :)

Just kiddin' ya, you did a good job. And if you wanna copyright your pics...who am I to judge another Warren Zevon fan :)

all degree
07-21-2004, 11:36 PM
Are you serious with the copyright thing?????

GRT
07-22-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Doster's L & L
I'm not talking about cutting large chunks of the bush out. Ya just take a few stems out. This increases the leaf surface area of the plant on the inside. The more LSA you have the more photosynthesis takes place. The more PSN taking place the healthier the plant. The healthier the plant...... You see where this is going. :)

that's exactly my point, well said. There obviously aren't large chunks to take out like a hue.