PDA

View Full Version : Looking for another walk-behind

Mr. Magpie
07-21-2004, 01:01 AM
Glad to be a part of such an awesome site!

I've had decent success with the residential $400 Snapper 21" by modifying it slightly (making it rain-proof and replacing some weak pieces). But I want a larger cutting path and a drivetrain that will not show signs of wear for at least 400-500 hours of small lawns while still staying in the walk-behind class.

Is there a mower out there with comparable quality and the above attributes for under $900?

I have a vision of this Snapper with a better drivetrain and the whole thing blown up by about 30% (deck, motor, everything just plain bigger).

Thanks fellas (and ladies?).

txlawnking
07-21-2004, 08:47 AM
Not for under $900, unless you find a clean, used 32-36" belt drive machine. You can however, get a commercial Snapper 21" for less than that..mine was $740 with the 6hp Kawasaki.

Precision
07-21-2004, 03:29 PM
you can't buy anything bigger than a 23 inch commerical product for less than $900 that I know of. But I have purchased used 36" commerical mowers for a bit over that and I even have one now that I would be willing to part with for about that price.

36" is a big time saver compared to 21" maybe up to half the time, depending on obsticals.

lawnranger44
07-21-2004, 04:09 PM
Go for a nice 36" mower. You may not be able to find a good used one for a price that low though. Also, since you are money-conscious you are gonna want a belt drive as opposed to a hydro. (Although if I could do it all over again, I would've spent the extra money and gotten a hydro) Good luck and welcome to lawnsite.