PDA

View Full Version : Should I put it in the front, or the back?

Victor
07-21-2004, 01:17 PM
I was wondering what the general consensus was on mounting a boom on a ZTR spray rig. I see the obvious benefits to mounting the boom on the front (such as being able to see where the product is, or isn't going), but I also see some drawbacks (having to drive through the product you just applied and possibly having the product drift on you if you have problems with drift). I have to admit that I like the idea of having the boom mounted in the back, because you wouldn't have to drive through and consequently disturb the product you just applied, but trying to spray around flower beds and curbs this way could be a pain. What are your thoughts guys? If any of you guys including James Cormier, TSM, Timturf, Kirby, Runner, Tremors would give me your input, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks for the help.

Vic

TSM
07-21-2004, 01:54 PM
i honored that you mention me, thanks

basicly, i dont have much experience with this. I agree that there are good and bad points for front mounted as well as rear mounted.
I'd have to say you should do what you are more comfortable with. (i know, thats not any help)

we do use Perma Greens with front mounted jettees we dont really experience drift back on the operator (at least not enough to have me concerned about it) but we are driving thru it and the potential of disturbing the application is possible.

But you know, when using the perma greens as spot treatment of weeds i often wish they were mounted on the back, human reaction time between seeing the weed and hitting the trigger...well sometimes we're spraying to late. if the jets were rear mounted we'd have more reaction time.

BCSteel
07-21-2004, 08:10 PM
I'm not on your list so you'll have to wait for the other guys to answer.

LwnmwrMan22
07-21-2004, 08:21 PM
I'm with BCS. :)

However, TSM did not make a list, so I have a comment for him.

Wait until your properties are full of weeds, then just do blanket apps. Don't need a reaction time then :D

James Cormier
07-21-2004, 09:49 PM
:o Im on the list...Now Im nervous cause you maybe giving me too much credit.

If I was building my very own spray rider, I would put it in the middle....no just kidding... I would put them on the back, but I wouldn't use the spray out kinds ( like PG ) I would use the Spray down tips, I think this would aid in trimming. Hmmm, maybe middle would be a good idea.

NOw if you where mounting them on a sit down ztr, Im not sure about the back because it would be too hard to keep looking back over your shoulder to see it.

I think something like the PG, but instead of the rear wheels hooked on like a trailer, I would prefer a sulky like hook up where the rider stays put and the wheels are casters, then the boom can be mounted on that.

Victor
07-21-2004, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the input. I've always enjoyed reading your threads and posts. You guys are true class acts. TSM, you're more than welcome.

As far as me giving you too much credit James. No way.... It's obvious that you guys really know your stuff. Thanks again.

As far as BCS and LwnmwrMan go, put down your baby rattles and grow up. I never said that I didn't respect your knowledge. My thread stated that if anyone "including" the names listed. I listed the names that you saw, because their names were fresh in my mind from reading threads.

To be honest BCS and LwnmwrMan, I really couldn't care less if you two boys don't want to help. I find it funny actually that you would take offense to something as trivial as that.

Vic

BCSteel
07-21-2004, 10:26 PM
And your true colours show through...

specialtylc
07-21-2004, 10:28 PM
If you do lawns that have any kind of obsticles in them , you will need a front boom. A rear boom would work fine on a sports field.

cantoo
07-21-2004, 10:39 PM
I build all mine with front booms it's just much easier to see and easier on the neck. I have used trailer mounted ones and they are a real pain. I use front break away booms so I can get in almost anywhere. It's easier to keep an eye on the sprayer tips if you are front mounted.

Victor
07-21-2004, 11:23 PM
Thanks Special and Cantoo. I guess I was a little more concerned than I needed to be about driving through the product. I guess if a hose dragger can walk through the product they put down without adversely affecting the application, then I should be fine driving through it.

I even thought about mounting a front and back boom that I could valve so that I could just use whichever one was the most convenient, but I'm going to go with your ideas of just having a front one.

Now to handle another matter. BCSteel....if you're not the pot, calling the kettle black. Let me get this straight.

Fact 1....You're the one that took offense to the fact that I didn't include your name in the aforementioned list of names and as a result told me that since you're name wasn't included, you weren't going to help me (something I would have never done if the roles had been reversed).

Fact2....I never said that I didn't want help from anyone else but the names listed. I said "If any of you guys including James Cormier, TSM, Timturf, Kirby, Runner, Tremors would give me your input, I'd really appreciate it." That meant that I was looking for help from anyone on this forum, including the people listed.

I have a lot of admiration for so many more guys on here (and their knowledge) than just the list of people you saw, but I think it would have been pretty self-defeating to have listed 70 names so that a couple of fragile egos weren't bruised.

I've always been glad for the help so many people on this forum have given me. They have helped me out so much more than I ever expected, that I just can't thank them enough. All I'm saying here is that the way you handled being left out of my list says a lot about yourself and maybe it wouldn't be such a good idea to go pointing that finger of yours.

If you'll notice....Cantoo and Special's names weren't on that list, but you'd better believe I have a lot of respect for them and their knowledge.

Thanks again to anyone who's ever been nice enough to help me.
:D

Vic

Runner
07-21-2004, 11:37 PM
Ok, since I'm being pulled out onto the red carpet, here, let me tell you my input. I use a Permagreen, so I'm accustomed to the fromt nozzles. I can certainly see where rear mount would be ok, but you you wouldn't be able to tell immediately if you came across a problem such as a clogged nozzle or something of the sort. Now, if you ARE fond of rear mounted booms, do you want to know the ULTIMATE setup? I would say a rear mounted boom, with 1 nozzle mounted up on the front, off the caster arm (hose ran right down the side). This would allow you your trimming, and would be the only one toward the front. Of course, it would be offset to the side a bit, and drift would be minimal. This would be lined up with the next nozzle in on the back for even coverage. This way, you could also shut the rear nozzles off if you used you front nozzle to spray Roundup on curblines, and such. You would always be able to see where your trimming with that front nozzle. Just an idea...I hope this helps.

BCSteel
07-22-2004, 01:50 AM
Man, you need to lighten up. Obviously you don't know sarcasm when you read it.

I like how you have to try and insult me by by using the terms like, "put down your baby rattles and grow up" and "I think it would have been pretty self-defeating to have listed 70 names so that a couple of fragile egos weren't bruised".

Damn, you're getting your self all worked up over nothing! Ha Ha!

LwnmwrMan22
07-22-2004, 06:06 AM
Yup, just trying to give you the needle here Victor, didn't mean anything by it, sheesh.

LwnmwrMan22
07-22-2004, 06:12 AM
Runner -

Something like what you described is what I've wanted to do with my PG. It would be nice to have the OEM spray set up at 11', but then have a nozzle hung out there that could be turned on and off with a spray pattern of 1' or so, a "spray down" pattern, instead of "out and down" (sorry still early here to think of exactly what I'm trying to say).

Anyways, that way you could do a little better job of trimming edges, bushes, etc., without having to run a "gun" off the bottle filler.

Also you could then spray the curblines and such like you described with the PG and not have 4-5' of spray all over the parking lot.

I've always thought about mounting a nozzle on a bracket that could swing back and out of the way, much like a swing boom, so you could still get into gate areas.

It could be run off the bottle filler like my wand is now and just turn it off and on with that little lever there.

Victor
07-22-2004, 10:27 AM
You two guys are setting off my BS meter. You have to remember that I don't know you guys. If you were kidding, I would have expected you to still give me some help. Even if it was in the form of a PM, or something. That's what I would have done.

Now that's a great idea Runner. That would be a great set up. That way, you'd have the best of both worlds. Thanks again.

Vic

BCSteel
07-22-2004, 09:03 PM
Oh man, I was just foolin' around.

Anyways, I have never used a pull behind sprayer but I do have a front mount for my walker. I like it alot because like runner said, if you get a clogged nozzle you will know right away. I have never come across any problems with driving over the spray. If I had to spray a whole lot of non-selective out of it that would probably be different then. I wouldn't want that all over my tires just incase I forgot about it and drove over some turf before washing them off.

cantoo
07-22-2004, 10:22 PM
BCSteel, here's some pics for you.

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=72247
http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=48914

I just got done remounting this one onto the front of my Steiner. It's 4x4 so hills won't be a problem any more. It's also narrower so I can fit smaller places. TYhe booms are spring loaded knockaways.

cantoo
07-23-2004, 09:37 PM
Pics of my Steiner.