PDA

View Full Version : GOD @$#%#$ Spark arrestor!

ProStreetCamaro
07-21-2004, 02:48 PM
AHHHHHHH I hate them! I always take them out when I buy new equipment but for some reason when i got my Echo backpack last spring I forgot to take it out. Yesterday it just got slower and slower and today it would hardly run. I knew then what the problem was. Took it apart and sure enough it was 100% clogged so i threw it away and put the blower back together. Started right up and blew harder than ever.

Anybody here take there's out? Or anybody just never had any problems with them?

youngdude
07-21-2004, 03:55 PM
Right after i buy 2cycle stuff i take out the spark arrestor. I wonder if those people fighting those fires just junk the spark arrestor when they get clogged up or if its really strict to put a new one in???HUMMM, something to think about.

CamLand
07-21-2004, 04:22 PM
first thing we do is chuck that useless thing to the trash,they run so much better after...

KenH
07-21-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by youngdude
I wonder if those people fighting those fires just junk the spark arrestor when they get clogged up or if its really strict to put a new one in???HUMMM, something to think about.

Huh????:confused: ;) ;)

kemmer
07-21-2004, 05:02 PM
what is a spark arrestor? i have a redmax 7000, how do i take it out, will it make it more powerfull? if s0 can anyone take a pic of how to take it out?

jbell113
07-21-2004, 05:18 PM
Its a screen cover inside the exhaust pipe. Looks like a miniature window screen.

Remsen1
07-21-2004, 05:19 PM
Young dude, I don't understand your question?

kemmer
07-21-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by jbell113
Its a screen cover inside the exhaust pipe. Looks like a miniature window screen.
how do i take it out?

also there must be a purpose to this screen if they put it there?

fga
07-21-2004, 05:26 PM
in my 14 years of experience, I've only had a real problem with echo equipment when it comes to the spark arrestor. I don't remove it until i have a problem.
On my red max equipment, I;ve either never had a problem with it after years of use (my blower is 6 years and counting, never touched it), or its a quick fix on a redmax trimmer.... the screen is right there in the opening of the muffler, you can scrape it with a screwdriver without taking anything apart at all. Echo you have to take everything apart, especially the dumd plastic shields that never ever fit back together the way they were.......

fga
07-21-2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by snowyleaflandscaping
how do i take it out?

also there must be a purpose to this screen if they put it there? I'm not sure if you can take it out of a red max. with that brand, i don't think there is a need to.

RedWingsDet
07-21-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by snowyleaflandscaping
how do i take it out?

also there must be a purpose to this screen if they put it there?

take it out with some plyers...

the purpose is just like what it is called. a spark arrestor, it arrests the sparks. its sopoosed to prevent fire when it backfires (i think). but idk anyone who has had problems when taking it off.

themowerman
07-21-2004, 05:51 PM
The main reasons that the spark arresters carbon up real bad is not enough RPMS. Two types of two cycle machine will carbon up real fast. Backback blowers when not all the blower tubes are used and Weedwackers when you run them with the guards off. When you take a blower tube off of your blower it lowers the RPMs of the engine causing incomplete burn. The same goes when you take the line guard off of a trimmer the longer line also lowers the rpms. Don't believe me? Try holding a tachometer to the machine and run it with the tubes on and with the tubes off. Trust me I have made lots of money doing engine rebuilds and engine decarbonizations over the last twenty five years. I have a ten year old redmax weed wacker of my own that has the original spark arrester in it. Just my 2 cents.

blackberry
07-21-2004, 05:55 PM
OK, Let me start by saying in 10 years I have never had a spark arrester be a problem. That said, check your mix ratio or change oil. We run high test with optimax 2 oil. Never had a problem!! Check your mix, check your mix, check your mix!!!

fga
07-21-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by themowerman
I have a ten year old redmax weed wacker of my own that has the original spark arrester in it. Just my 2 cents.

red max seem to be an exception. i don't know why, but i never have to clean them.

blackberry
07-21-2004, 05:57 PM
Yeah, what themowerman said!!!!!!!!!!!!

Littleriver1
07-21-2004, 06:15 PM
I never take mine out, except to clean it. Lay it on a flat board and run a wire brush over it, stick it back in and go. I see no reason to run with out it. If you think you lost power with it in then I think your just a little hard headed.

fga
07-21-2004, 06:17 PM
I don't know about power, but its definitely louder.

D Felix
07-21-2004, 09:22 PM
Try drilling a hole in your muffler.:D That makes it louder!

Also opens it up some and produces more power too. Makes my cheap-a$$ Poulan chainsaw almost sound like its a "real" saw now..............

Dan

specialtylc
07-21-2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by blackberry
OK, Let me start by saying in 10 years I have never had a spark arrester be a problem. That said, check your mix ratio or change oil. We run high test with optimax 2 oil. Never had a problem!! Check your mix, check your mix, check your mix!!!
If they dont require cleaning, then why do all small 2 cycle manufacturers state in their manuals to decarbon the muffler, exhaust port, and screen every 100 hrs (more or less) or as needed? I know the newer stuff is burning cleaner than some of the others.

fixer67
07-21-2004, 11:08 PM
If you use 2 cycle equipment on government controls lands like schools and such you can get fined for not having the spark arrester in place. I have known people who have got fined. As far as removing them makers are making that harder to do. I have even heard of mufflers that have internal arrester that can not be removed starting to come out on some equipment. 2 cycle machines are meant to scream wide open throttle. Using them at idle kills them with carbon build up.

dishboy
07-21-2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by themowerman
The main reasons that the spark arresters carbon up real bad is not enough RPMS. Two types of two cycle machine will carbon up real fast. Backback blowers when not all the blower tubes are used and Weedwackers when you run them with the guards off. When you take a blower tube off of your blower it lowers the RPMs of the engine causing incomplete burn. The same goes when you take the line guard off of a trimmer the longer line also lowers the rpms. Don't believe me? Try holding a tachometer to the machine and run it with the tubes on and with the tubes off. Trust me I have made lots of money doing engine rebuilds and engine decarbonizations over the last twenty five years. I have a ten year old redmax weed wacker of my own that has the original spark arrester in it. Just my 2 cents.

I run one line long and it turns high RPM's, My coking problems have been oil related, since switching to Amsoil exhaust port maint. is nil.

grass_cuttin_fool
07-21-2004, 11:22 PM
My stihl carboned up a couple of weeks ago, I knew the power had fallen off some but it finally got to a point where my $49 weed eater brand was kicking its butt. On the stihl, the aresstor is mounted on the outside of the muffler and easy to get to, but I just took it off and put it in the tool box for now. Think im gonna clean it up and put it back on for leaf season though. Another thought, any of yall that use stihl oil seem to think that the 50:1 oil is to rich??? when I use stihl oil all my equipment seems to smoke alot more than any other oil. Currently im using ''no-smoke'' and ''robin'' oil.Just wondering if any have noticed the extra smoke with stihl oil

HOOLIE
07-22-2004, 12:10 AM
We used to run Echo's at my old job. Those spark arrestors would always get clogged. Everyday during leaf season, at least one crew would call w/ problems. We always cleaned them, I don't know why we didn't just remove them.

CuttingCrew
07-22-2004, 01:15 AM
Spark arrestors prevent fires. Not fires from backfires, fires from small pieces of red hot carbon that builds up in the combustion chamber and on top of the piston. These pieces will occasionally break free and shoot out the exhaust. If they land in dry mulch or underbrush they can and do start fires. They are too small to see during the day and since the exhaust is usually behind you they are not easily seen anyway. If you run a well used two cycle at night with out a spark arrester and watch for them you might see some sparks flying out the exhaust, but I donít recommend you fire up your equipment that late unless you really donít like your neighbors. Once the spark arrestor catches the carbon, it holds it at the muffler till it burns away to nothing.

Youngdude,
I am a lieutenant on engine Co. 36 in the suburbs west of Cincinnati, Ohio. When ever we service our two-cycle equipment, we always clean and REPLACE the spark arrestor. Itís like changing the batteries in our smoke detectors, the odds are slim that you will need it, but not worth risking the loss of property or life if you do.

bettergrass
07-22-2004, 05:02 AM
always take mine off right when i get the equipment....infact the local stihl dealer just does it for me....says he honestly thinks they are pointless

pcnservices
07-22-2004, 07:58 AM
After 2 seasons my Echo is almost to a point of not running at all. I had the carb cleaned, new spark plug, etc., and still the same. Had to get a new trimmer eventually.
I'm going to take that spark arrestor out right now and see if that'll solve my problem.
Good Luck
PC

griffithtlc
07-22-2004, 09:49 AM
We are also taking them darn things out now. The trimmers not only run better but there is not as much back pressure either.
They remind me of all the new pollutant junk they put on the new vehicles now days. Somebody thinks they have to be on there even though all it does is make it more complicated.