PDA

View Full Version : buying a 60 inch zero turn mower

keithrg
07-21-2004, 02:57 PM
Im new to the business and am looking for imput on a new 60 inch zero turn mower. I have looked at John Deer, EX mark, Scag, Cub Cadet. I have used a Bunton 60 inch cut with 23 Kawasaki motor but it seemed to bog down a bit on hills and heavy grass.

odin
07-21-2004, 03:08 PM
take a look at the toro 555 on up though the 580 series ....these mowers are excellent awsome ...7 gauge steel deck ..adjustable baffles are worth their weight in gold...great mowers i love mine.

chevyman1
07-21-2004, 03:10 PM
look no further than the Dixie Chopper...I have a 27 HP generac with a 60 inch deck that screams fast. I have yet to bog the motor down, it's really good on hills, and mows awesome

txlawnking
07-21-2004, 04:13 PM
Keith, I'd demo all of the machines you mentioned extensivelly on your property before you lay down dollar one. As you can see, 23 isn't enough hp for a 60" mower. I would look for at least a 27hp machine if not more..If it's in your budget, maybe a diesel as well..

Precision
07-21-2004, 04:22 PM
I have a gravely pm 260 that I run doubles on. She works great and can really tear thru the wimp st Augustine we have here and does fairly well even on slightly overgrown Bahia.

The thing is, if you are looking at doing residential work, a 60 may not be the most practical machine. stander 52's that I used in the past are a bit more maneuverable and on small properties they dont take anymore time, they are often faster because the deck isn't as likely to scalp at the over hang edge.

I used JD 52 standers, work good but the electronics are fragile. And we had a difficult time getting generic tires to fit.

Big properties the 60 wins hands down. But either way you will need a 36 or something else small too.

chevyman1
07-21-2004, 04:31 PM
keith, you are in CNY/Western areas....The best Dixie / Ferris dealer is in Syracuse, Central NY Power equipment....ask for John and tell him Jason from Albany sent you

Flex-Deck
07-21-2004, 04:43 PM
Go John Deere - may cost a bit more, but they will save you bunches as to breakdowns and shop time. They have the best service period. Brad

chevyman1
07-21-2004, 04:55 PM
Keith, the JD dealers in your area are OK, but you will overpay and their parts are insanely priced. Stick with a company that just does mowing for a living

DLCS
07-21-2004, 05:34 PM
Go John Deere, the new JD ztrs are priced just as competively as other units. JD dealers are here to stay, we can't keep a Dixie dealer in our area. We have had 2 dealers stop selling Dixie Choppers within the last 3 years, I wonder why.

millerlc
07-21-2004, 06:25 PM
Keith,
If you want a durable and strong machine look only at a Scag. They are built like tanks.
A lot of 60" ZTR's run a 27 HP.
But i just got a Turf Tiger 29HP Kawasaki liq cooled DFI(no choke!) 61"
Let me tell you, she has a whole lot of power. She is unstoppable!
ground speeds are quick.
She leaves an awesome cut with the :) DRIVESHAFT driven deck:)
I would recommend the Turf Tiger.
If you have any other questions let me know.

Tonyr
07-21-2004, 06:32 PM
What ODIN said....TORO 500 SERIES.

rtyus
07-21-2004, 06:34 PM
Listen to txlawnking and demo. All the mowers you mentioned are good mowers with solid reputations. It all depends on what works in your situation and what kind of support you get from the dealer.

puppypaws
07-21-2004, 06:41 PM
The Hustler Super Z will run circles around all the mowers mentioned in this post . The 27 or 28 hp Z's will mow anything you want to mow and mow it faster than any commercial mower on the market.

specialtylc
07-21-2004, 10:49 PM
^^^^^BLAH,BLAH,BLAH. Everyone has the best mower.

chimmygew
07-21-2004, 11:14 PM
Not me, got a 72" Dixie and it sux

Tonyr
07-22-2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by specialtylc
^^^^^BLAH,BLAH,BLAH. Everyone has the best mower.

no they don't, untrue....only I have the best as ya all know...Toro Z588E, the rest are just lawn toys, ha, ha, ha!

glad we got that sorted! LOL!

dvmcmrhp52
07-22-2004, 12:11 AM
Exmark Lazer,27 horse 60"
Great machine.

dvmcmrhp52
07-22-2004, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Tonyr
no they don't, untrue....only I have the best as ya all know...Toro Z588E, the rest are just lawn toys, ha, ha, ha!

glad we got that sorted! LOL!

Tony,Tony,Tony...................The who has the right red color AGAIN?
Now you already know how the toro's came to the same design features as the RIGHT red machine.

Lawn toys?
Not this boys toys...................................LOL!

Tonyr
07-22-2004, 12:27 AM
I was waitin for that! left myself right open there lol.

aren't exmarks just a home owner line of the mighty industry leader Toro? hmmmmmm, ha, ha, ha.

gotta run, 5 acres to cut in 4 hours include travel outa town and this is one ultra rough paddock, back tonight! very slow job!

dvmcmrhp52
07-22-2004, 12:29 AM
Aveagoodone mate!

BSDeality
07-22-2004, 05:24 AM
just pick your favorite color and go buy a machine, they're all practically the same now-a-days anyways.

Steve1
07-22-2004, 10:23 AM
Demo, demo, demo - all the mowers you've mentioned are great units. I bought a JD 777 and love it but there are other great units available.

The best advice I could give you is to demo every brand you're considering and get some seat time in them. That's the ONLY way you will discover what is best for YOU. It doesn't matter what anyone says on here - it's most important that you find the product/brand YOU like and be sure it has a dealer that will take care of you AFTER THE SALE.

A poor dealer will quickly remove a "My favorite is brand X" statement any day of the week. Low price is NOT the most important - reliable service from what you buy and having a dealer who can get you back up and running as soon as possible are by far the most important issues in the long run.

Yes, it needs to cut good but essentially, they are all very good cutters. Some may handle certain conditions better than others but still, they are all good units.

Buy what YOU like from someone who will take care of you. Only then will you have gotten what you paid for.

jaguar4000
07-22-2004, 11:02 AM
Keith,

As some of the others said Demo the ones you are interested in. I would also add the Kubota and Hustler ztr's to your list. Seeing more and more of them both here in central Florida. Personally I would demo 3- both of these and the Scag. Good Luck!!

KUBOTADAN
07-22-2004, 11:12 AM
I am running a Kubota ZD-21 Diesel 60 in deck. Cost more, but will do the job.

2manymowers
07-22-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by chimmygew
Not me, got a 72" Dixie and it sux

chimmygew,
Please explain. I am about to drop a bundle on a new XT3200-72, and I would like to hear what you have to say.

Thanks,
TMM

chevyman1
07-22-2004, 11:46 AM
that is one of the greatest mowers I've ever seen....he must have had one bad experience to say that

chimmygew
07-22-2004, 02:27 PM
I am on my second engine, third carb., deck streaks. The factory even came and got it and attempted to fix it. This helped a little bit, but is still noticeable. Now, you have to crank on it for 2-3 minutes to get it to start. Another guy in town had the same problems with his and he got rid of it. They are having a lot of streaking problems right now.

2manymowers
07-22-2004, 05:56 PM
I am on my second engine, third carb., deck streaks. The factory even came and got it and attempted to fix it. This helped a little bit, but is still noticeable. Now, you have to crank on it for 2-3 minutes to get it to start. Another guy in town had the same problems with his and he got rid of it. They are having a lot of streaking problems right now.

Interesting..... I spoke with 2 local farmers here who have XT3000-72s and they are very satisfied. I'm guessing from what I read there were some issues with the 30 hp Generacs, but they have most of the bugs worked out with the newer 32 hp models. Which engine do you have now ? Are you using the most recent recommended spark plugs? The local DC dealer says they switched to a different plug to help the hard starting problem. Also, have you read Crabgrassman's discussion on the streaking issue on Lawn Forums ? I demoed an XT3000-72 and did not notice any streaking. It must be just some mowers.

Thanks,
TMM

2manymowers
07-22-2004, 06:14 PM

Interesting..... I spoke with 2 local farmers here who have XT3000-72s and they are very satisfied. I'm guessing from what I read there were some issues with the 30 hp Gereracs, but they have most of the bugs worked out with the newer 32 hp models. Which engine do you have now ? Are you using the most recent recommended spark plugs? The local DC dealer says they switched to a different plug to help the hard starting problem. Also, have you read Crabgrassman's discussion on the streaking issue on Lawn Forums ? I demoed an XT3000-72 and did not notice any streaking. It must be just some mowers.

Thanks,
TMM

qualitylandscaping
07-22-2004, 07:53 PM
60" Lesco Z-Two 25hp Kawi

Sweet mower!:cool:

Aleman
07-22-2004, 08:38 PM
So how about the Grasshoppers? I've never heard anything bad about them. Im currently using a 52 stander and have very few complaints but I need another mower and thought about the 52" Grasshoppers...Any advice?

Jay9437
07-22-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by millerlc
Keith,
If you want a durable and strong machine look only at a Scag. They are built like tanks.
A lot of 60" ZTR's run a 27 HP.
But i just got a Turf Tiger 29HP Kawasaki liq cooled DFI(no choke!) 61"
Let me tell you, she has a whole lot of power. She is unstoppable!
ground speeds are quick.
She leaves an awesome cut with the :) DRIVESHAFT driven deck:)
I would recommend the Turf Tiger.
If you have any other questions let me know.

I agree that you can't beat a skag, I have a Turf Tiger 60" and it does a great job. You just have to be careful when you make a sharp turn as it will tear up the turf. Jay