PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new mower.....which dealer?

Expert Lawns
07-21-2004, 06:02 PM
I have made my decision to purchase a new Lazer HP 23/52. Final price: $9,400. Kawasaki engine, ultravac collection system and everything else that comes standard on an HP. My question is this:

I have a local dealer (dealer A) that is within 15 minutes of me. I found another dealer that is about 40 minutes from me (dealer B). If I were to puchase the mower from dealer B, would dealer A still give me the same great service when the mower broke down or I needed immediate attention? I purchased my first mower from them, and they have been so-so about keeping my down time to a minimum. Their prices on parts, labor, and accessories are a bit much. Dealer B has much better prices on said products.

I am willing to drive 40 minutes to dealer B for a better priced mower, but would go to dealer A for service, etc. Do any of you do this? Is this "shunned upon"? I have not had to deal with this before seeing how my first mower was bought and was always serviced at the same dealer. I was just wondering what was normal practice and what you guys think I should do. Thanks.

Mico Landscaping design
07-21-2004, 06:09 PM
what is the 40 minute one? weingartz? weingatrz is better than any where

Expert Lawns
07-21-2004, 07:00 PM
sure is. I go down there when I get the chance or when I'm visiting my dad in White Lake. Other than that, it is quite a haul for me, especially with my rig fully loaded.

Oldtimer
07-21-2004, 11:03 PM
When choosing a dealer don't let the price be the only deciding factor. Just like many of your customers could get someone to mow for less you can always find someone to sell for less but what are you buying? The dealer who wants your business to prosper and is always to there to help you to the best of his ability is the dealer to do business with. You can always save money by shopping but what are you really shopping for?

All dealers give their own customers preferred service. Many dealers grade their customers as to the order their equipment goes into the shop and whether or not they will get a loaner. If a cutter is willing to drive an hour to save a few hundred dollars he probably doesn't have a business plan and has not figured out the total cost of losing just one hour.

Oldtimer

Runner
07-22-2004, 12:00 AM
If you think that "Dealer A" is going to give you satisfactory warranty attention when you don't even buy your machine from them, you're barking up the wrong tree. You will be at the end of the line behind "Mr. Homeowner". Not only that, but they will not give you a loaner in the event that your machine is in for service. That policy only applies to people who purchase from there. That is a dealer policy, not an Exmark policy. One thing to consider, is that under warranty work, "Dealer A" gives you a loaner at no charge, and "Dealer B" rents it to you.

Expert Lawns
07-22-2004, 10:48 AM
Joe, so what you're saying is that even though, while under warranty, if my lazer breaks down, only the dealer I purchased the mower from can give me a free "no down time" loaner?

Oldtimer, I do have a business plan, and I do understand the importance of factoring in each and every hour of my day and how it affects my books. I think you failed to understand my post in full. My father lives near dealer B, so on a weekend while going to his place to hang out on the boat, I could swing by and pick up my new lazer. It's not out of my way, and I save a few hundred dollars. My main concern was dealer support. That is more important than saving a few hundred dollars. That is what I'm trying to get out of this thread, is advice on whether or not I will recieve great dealer support from the local dealer. From the looks of it, the answer would be no. I just wasn't sure if an exmark dealer is an exmark dealer is an exmark dealer.....Just needed some suggestions from those of you in the game longer than me.

I see what you're saying about being in line behind "Mr. Homeowner". That is what I'm trying to avoid. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Steve1
07-22-2004, 11:21 AM
If a dealer's service is reason enough to take your stuff there to be worked on when it's used, you should seriously consider buying from him too. Yes, money is money but still, how would you feel if your dealership wasn't good enough to earn a guys business sales-wise but he would bring his newly bought mower (from one of your competitors) to you to work on and he expects you to get him going asap with a free loaner?

I know what I would tell you - "If you want FAST service, take it to the guy you bought it from. Oh wait, he doesn't offer fast service? Well, I guess you should have thought about that before you bought your mower."

Might be harsh but that's the real world. Maybe if you go back to the dealer you want to service the mower and show him the deal you're being offered by his competitor, maybe he could shave a few bucks off the price to make it more attractive? After all, he wants to sell you stuff as well as service it!

I'm always willing to pay a few dollars more to stay with a good, servicing dealer. After all, if you're down, those bucks you saved when you bought are going to be ate up pretty quick in extra gas and lost mowing time just to haul your shiny new mower to the dealer who is farther away!

Support your local dealer if at all possible!