PDA

View Full Version : trimmer guard goes off.

RedWingsDet
07-21-2004, 06:11 PM
well i have a shindawa trimmer, i bought it used off another loco who had like 8, i bought it last month, i like that better then my stihl that i bought new this year. i figured its mostly because it doesnt have the trimmer guard...

so anyway, today i took the trimmer guard off the stihl. has anyone had problems with this? also, i wear pants, i make my guys wear pants, and glasses too, so it shouldnt be a problem there.

anyone had a problem with taking em off?

lawnmedic1
07-21-2004, 06:13 PM
Check with your liability insurance carrier, it may void any coverage...Chuck

Mico Landscaping design
07-21-2004, 09:04 PM
i have always ran every whip i own with out the guards on they suck with them on u can get more done with out them there they area a headache..... insurance nevered asked us good luck ..

HOOLIE
07-21-2004, 10:09 PM
It's good that you and your guys wear pants...

LB Landscaping
07-21-2004, 10:34 PM
I run with out them, no problems.

Up North
07-21-2004, 10:45 PM
I leave mine on. At the end of the day it may have taken me a bit longer but so be it. I get hit with enough crap already, :blob2: wouldn't even want to attempt running without it.

Buck

Trevors Lawn Care
07-21-2004, 11:07 PM
I took mine off and today was the firrst day running with them off! Wow to say the least.

The subtracted weight is SO noticable, along with the fact you can run say an 18 in diameter circle instead of say 10.

YOu can also fit in tight spaces. MINE ARE STAYING OFF.

trevor

JRSlawn
07-21-2004, 11:11 PM
How do you like your 4-mix trimmer and edger. I plan on picking a couple up myself. I run all of my trimmer w/o gaurds. I use them as a push mower in some spots.

Jeff Smith
JRS Lawn & Landscape

grass_cuttin_fool
07-21-2004, 11:35 PM
It may never happen but if one of your employee's ever gets hurt and carries you to court you have lost the case before you ever enter the court room. I worked in maintenence for 19 years at a factory before it closed and moved operations to china. We had a chevy pick up with a manual transmission and shifter on the column. Well the shifter wore out and we replaced it with a floor mounted one.Well with the shifter on the column it had to be in reverse to cut the key off, with the floor shifter that by passed all the safety items in the steering column. Long story short they left it in netrual the truck ran over a guy broke his leg and it cost the company $100,000 and even though the operator left the truck in netrual it had been modified from the origanal design and the court awarded the cash because of the change and the safety device was not working

CuttersCove
07-22-2004, 12:07 AM
I take the guards off as soon as I leave the store. I don't see how insurance companies can say anything about this since the guards are designed to protect you not the stuff they are flinging grass at.

- Real men trim without guards and wearing shorts. ;) Just don't trim in sand that crap hurts.

-matt

RedWingsDet
07-22-2004, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by JRSlawn
How do you like your 4-mix trimmer and edger. I plan on picking a couple up myself. I run all of my trimmer w/o gaurds. I use them as a push mower in some spots.

Jeff Smith
JRS Lawn & Landscape

i love em both. alot of power. one thing on the edger, if you get the 4mix edger, GET A 4 STAR BLADE, it helps soooo much, and after it rains and the grass is still wet the housing of the blade doesnt collect with dirt/mud with the 4 star blade. its awsome!