PDA

View Full Version : price war

satxmow
07-21-2004, 07:43 PM
customer asked me to clear land of debris and brush. lot was about 10k sqr ftg. it produced 7 6x16 trailer worth of brush. also we could not bring the trailer near the site since it was in the back yard and no entrance so we had to carry it by hand about 60 yards to the trailer while walking up a 45 degree hill. the price i have her was 2k. she freaked stating that it was more like a 1k job and now wants to see the receipts on the money i spent. it took 4 days to do the job. at first i had quoted on a price ($800) to just pick up the debris and cut some trees already fallen that produced around 3 dumps. but then her husband came out and told us to cut all trees that had less than a 6 inch diameter os that came the other 4 dumps. well i have to go back and talk to her with my proof receipts.

Tonyr
07-21-2004, 07:50 PM
the price is the price, what is it with people nowadays wanting to negotiate AFTER the job is jone!

2K for 4 days....how can she complain about that?

It's about what I'd charge MIN.

Master of the Lawn
07-21-2004, 07:51 PM
You dont have to prove a darn thing to her. You make your price she doesnt make it for you.

Mico Landscaping design
07-21-2004, 07:54 PM
i hate it when they do that stupid stuff.. but u did say 800 bucks so she thought that was all... should have writing the contract did the 800 bucks worth of work.. then went back if she wanted to pay... get your money from her 800 and they other 1200 from him fare and square :) good luck

landscapingpoolguy
07-21-2004, 08:10 PM
2 k sounds cheap....i prolly woulda been around 3- 4

Lawn-Scapes
07-21-2004, 08:25 PM
The way I read your post is that you gave her the price after you were done.. not before. Is this correct?

While I think your price was probably fair... you may have made a mistake by not quoting it before hand.

What does she want to see... dump receipts? Why... does she not think you made 7 trips?

EastProLawn
07-21-2004, 09:04 PM
On big jobs like that, we always have a signed agreement stating the promised service with the price quoted and a notice stating "exceptions" ( dump charges, unforseen expenses etc. )

Doster's L & L
07-21-2004, 09:24 PM
People always want to cheat someone else out of some money. :angry: We have to be ready for people like this.

jbell113
07-21-2004, 09:36 PM
Yes it is worth $2000 but when her husband came out and told you about the extra work you should have told him then that it would be extra.......Im sorry but IMO you may have to eat the extra cost. I agree with east pro I make them sign a agreement and write down specifically what has to be done. I have this one lady who ask me for strange request like she asked me to put some suitcases in her attic one day so I did it and it took 5min besides she had just signed a contract for one year and I didnt want her to back out of it because I didnt want to help her. I think people try to see just how much they can get for free.

BSDeality
07-21-2004, 09:39 PM
i added a line to my last contract on a job that i thought would turn into 'yah, take that one out too'. "work not mentioned above is not included or implied in the price"

gvandora
07-21-2004, 10:26 PM
Take a look at my standard terms and conditions that get attached to every contract.

Kelly's Landscaping
07-21-2004, 10:26 PM
I would of charged a hell of a lot more then that. I think you may be a little green when you do estimates of this sort. I doubt you expected it to be 4 days I really doubt you totally understood what moving that kind of volume up hill was going to do to your times.

Your mistake and it is a big one when the husband rewrote the job description you didn't take them aside and renegotiate your fee right then on the spot.

I love brush jobs they are some of my most profitable work aside from labor I have really not out lay to speak of and no one questions the prices when I quote that kind of work. Why thatís easy nobody wants to do that. Your get homeowners that will plant a bush but clearing land eheheheh thatís a different story.

How many men did you have on site with you when I do these jobs I typically work 3-5 men and we make 1000-1600 per day so your price sounds real low to me.

satxmow
07-22-2004, 11:37 AM
i am new when it comes to quoting this type of job. when the husband told me he wanted extra done i did explain to her that it was not part of the estimate. she said she understood and told me she would take care of me. the only reason i agreed was because i had done another job for her and same thing happened that job took longer than expected and we settled afterwards with a excellent payment. well this job took 32 hours and was a whole lot harder. it was my fault for assuming and not sitting down with her but that does not mean i should not get paid. if this was easy work they would do it themselves.

cantoo
07-22-2004, 09:47 PM
Wood chipper= one load or just use the chips for mulch and not haul anything away. On jobs like this I type up a description of the work involved and a FIRM price. No matter what I will not change the price later. Do it once and you will continue to do it even with other customers. They guy is liking thinking about how much he makes per hour and how much you made and having second thoughts.

Evergreenpros
07-23-2004, 02:12 AM
Just show receipts, be amiable, nod, say your sorry, and collect your cash. Hold firm on your price though. Sometimes people get sticker shock and think they're getting ripped off. It's a customer, not a bar fight :) be nice.