PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

jpmako
07-21-2004, 09:22 PM
I need to know what this is

robertsturf
07-21-2004, 10:05 PM
It's kind of hard to tell from the fuzzy picture but it looks like field brom ?

jpmako
07-21-2004, 11:29 PM
Here is another pic

specialtylc
07-21-2004, 11:35 PM
First picture. Its hard to tell without the seed head, but its a weed grass of some kind. Cheat, Brome or many others look very similar.
Second picture is just green fuzz.

lawnguyland
07-22-2004, 07:59 AM
that looks like crabgrass to me from here

James Cormier
07-22-2004, 11:22 AM
I would guess Goosegrass, or its certaintly a summer annuall

timturf
07-22-2004, 02:08 PM
It is not goosegrass

KenH
07-22-2004, 02:09 PM
My guess was Goosegrass.

KenH
07-22-2004, 02:10 PM
My guess was Goosegrass or possibly Dalisgrass.

Avery
07-22-2004, 02:13 PM
It is not Goosegrass. Looks like Crabgrass from the pic.

John Gamba
07-22-2004, 02:32 PM
Crabgrass--- Shot it with ortho.
John

PR Fect
07-22-2004, 03:46 PM
jpmako, got any history on it? It does not look like Crabgrass to me. If It has been there more than a year its not Crab. Crab is a annual. Did you put pre-emergent down? Does this grass grow faster than the rest and stick up light green compared to the other grasses in the turf? If so, I was told its Big blade or Tall Fescue. We have lots of it here in Wisconsin. Makes a lawn look like crap.

John Gamba
07-22-2004, 03:54 PM
Hairy Crabgrass.

jpmako
07-22-2004, 09:32 PM
It's not hairy!
I suspected some sort of Crabgrass but I have never seen it take over like this before! Almost all of my lawns have it and I think it looks terrible...
I do not yet have a pesticide license so no spraying on clients yards, but the various companies that these clients are using for Fert/ Pesticides are obviously not doing the right thing!!!

I have been inquiring about getting licensed and would like to get some more info on the subject. So if anybody knows anything about the certification process here in NY for 3a Turf and Ornamental I would greatly appreciate any info that anyone would be willing to share.

I am going to sign up for the classes for September.
Somebody told me that you have to work for a licensed company for a year to get certified. Is this true?

Again guys thank you for all of your help.

Jason

jpmako
07-22-2004, 09:37 PM
John,

By the way I asked you were to get good fert with 3%- 5% Iron.
I told you that I found Ironite and used it recently. Wow what a difference in color without the usual growth spurt associated with high Nitrogen. Thanks for the advice I also put down Lesco Fert with 10% Iron yesterday and am hoping for even more improvement.

Thanks Again,

Jason

John Gamba
07-23-2004, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by jpmako
John,

By the way I asked you were to get good fert with 3%- 5% Iron.
I told you that I found Ironite and used it recently. Wow what a difference in color without the usual growth spurt associated with high Nitrogen. Thanks for the advice I also put down Lesco Fert with 10% Iron yesterday and am hoping for even more improvement.

Thanks Again,

Jason

10% DAM!!!!!! Lets see pics of that!!!!!!!!!
Oh i get my lesco at home depo.
John

John Gamba
07-23-2004, 07:40 AM
It's not hairy!

Again guys thank you for all of your help.

Jason

If it not hairy then what is it????? Its Hairy Crabgrass take my word on it.
If you put it on your head it would look like hair?????
John

heybruck34
07-23-2004, 09:23 AM
I say crabgrass. Hit it with some Drive and if it dies, it was crabgrass.

GroundKprs
07-23-2004, 11:02 AM
Jason, it's often difficult to positively ID from a picture. Looks like crabgrass, but you can ID it yourself with an ID key. Keys use definite physical characteristics of an object to narrow down to the right answer. There are keys for plant ID, insect ID, etc. Keys may take a dozen steps or more, but usually once you key out anything once or twice, you'll remember it forever.

Here is a grass & broadleaf weed ID key: http://web.aces.uiuc.edu/weedid/

John Gamba
07-23-2004, 06:59 PM
Heres a pic you can use when it gets big!! I was going to show you why they call it HAIRY CRABGRASS but i think you get the picture??
This in it large form-------is why they call it hairy crabgrass.

John

Oh its PORING HERE is why i didn't put it on top of my head like the person who tonight me weeds did LOLOLOLOLLOLL

jpmako
07-23-2004, 07:18 PM
John,

Great picture, that thing is huge. and I thought it was out of control here. It is raining here too. I had to pack it in early today.
It seems as though we are going to get heavy rain for like the next 6-7 days GREAT. good thing my new mower should be in on wednesday. Can't wait to try it in the rain Yeah Right...

John Gamba
07-23-2004, 08:02 PM
John,

Great picture, that thing is huge. and I thought it was out of control here. It is raining here too. I had to pack it in early today.
It seems as though we are going to get heavy rain for like the next 6-7 days GREAT. good thing my new mower should be in on wednesday. Can't wait to try it in the rain Yeah Right...

GOOD LUCK BUD!!!!!! I will show you here father tomorrow LOLOL

John

jpmako
07-23-2004, 08:41 PM
John

I will show you here father tomorrow?
Uh what are you trying to say?

Envi-Lawn
07-23-2004, 10:13 PM
It looks like crabgrass

scottt
07-23-2004, 10:43 PM
jpmako,
I think he's been drinking a little tonight. His last two posts have been a little, uhh, unusual.

jpmako
07-23-2004, 11:02 PM
scottt,

Nothin wrong with that.
I should probably be doing the same.

Jason

ThreeWide
07-24-2004, 09:47 AM
Another vote for crabgrass on the ID.

John Gamba
07-24-2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by scottt
jpmako,
I think he's been drinking a little tonight. His last two posts have been a little, uhh, unusual.

No more beer for me anymore:angel: I was just having fun and i do have the father of all crabgrass in the back. when i;m ready to harvest i will take a pic.
What i do for some fun is put them on the competitions lawns to see how there customers react to it.

John

HayBay
07-24-2004, 08:52 PM
Thats funny John.

jpmako
07-24-2004, 09:49 PM
John
don't give up that easy. No Beer = No fun
So you harvest Hairy Crabgrass in your spare time? Lol
Thanks for all of the advise guys.

Jason