PDA

View Full Version : 757 Deere Demo arrives tomorrow ...

webdrifter
07-21-2004, 08:35 PM
Hi Guys,

I've got a John Deere dealer bringing a 757 25hp for me to demo tomorrow. Actually he's going to leave it with me for a few days. I'm still in the .. Demo, Demo, Demo .. stage so I'll have a lot of questions for him, and my friends here on Lawnsite. Here are a few of the questions that I asked the dealer today on the phone, and here are some of the answers.

Q. Why does JD stamp their decks while the others use welded ( fabricated ) decks.

A. Because we have the technology. and bigger presses, and we can. We put the cheaper fabricated decks on our cheaper great Dane models.

Q. How does John Deere get a good cut with blade tip speeds around 2000 fpm slower than the other major brands.

A. Our decks have a great vacuum because their stamped, and they are very deep.He also stated that Our blade tip speeds are the maximum allowable by what I think he called the ASI standards. He explained what the ASI rating meant, but I can't remember it all. It had something to do with certain organizations would not buy mowers if blade tip speeds exceeded this rating of 16500fpm.

Q. What is the difference between the 777 and the 757.

A. Basically only the engine.

I guess I'm a little confused by some of this, because of what I've read here on lawnsite. I've read a lot of posts that say stay away from stamped decks, and that the fabricated decks are much stronger, and cut much better. I've also read that faster blade tip speeds (18000+) are desirable because of quality of cut, and grass dispersal. John Deere seems to be going against the grain in both cases, but getting good results at the same time.

As always your thoughts are greatly appreciated.