PDA

View Full Version : Proslide

JethroBodine
07-21-2004, 08:44 PM
I just installed a new Proslide on my walk behind.

It doesn't seem to retract all the way tight to the mower. Usually it sits (the plate) about parallel with the ground.

Is this normal?

Does it need to be "broke in" to move freely or did I get one with bad shocks that need to be replaced?

John Gamba
07-22-2004, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by JethroBodine
I just installed a new Proslide on my walk behind.

It doesn't seem to retract all the way tight to the mower. Usually it sits (the plate) about parallel with the ground.

Is this normal?

Does it need to be "broke in" to move freely or did I get one with bad shocks that need to be replaced?

Can you post a picture?? It should retract up out of the way.
John

naturescape
07-22-2004, 08:10 AM
Damn, do you need a picture to know what parallel is??

The gas strut may be bad, it should fold to about 45 degrees. Make sure the u bolt used to attach the slide is through straight and clean.

John Gamba
07-22-2004, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by naturescape
Damn, do you need a picture to know what parallel is??

The gas strut may be bad, it should fold to about 45 degrees. Make sure the u bolt used to attach the slide is through straight and clean.

Some came with a bent part that keeps it from folding up all the way.
John

McCauley3
07-22-2004, 11:37 AM
I put mine on my exmark a few weeks ago, and it didn't seem to retract up all the way. I just nudge it with my foot, and it goes up the rest of the way.

John Gamba
07-22-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by McCauley3
I put mine on my exmark a few weeks ago, and it didn't seem to retract up all the way. I just nudge it with my foot, and it goes up the rest of the way.

I think you have some debris In your spring. There are two ways the pro lifts-- One with the strut---Two with the spring. The strut lifts the whole unit and the spring lifts the skid plate.
My new pro lifts better then anyone ive ever had in the last 10 years.
John

naturescape
07-22-2004, 02:48 PM
I've had 3 Proslides now. Usually after a couple months, they don't lift up to a perfect 45 degree angle. As Patrick said, a little nudge with the foot and it will lift up.

I actually like it this way, when the 'slide is slightly worn. With the plate more parallel to the ground, it's a lot easier to step on, you don't have to step up as far. When I do want it out of the way, I give it that little nudge.

JethroBodine
07-22-2004, 03:08 PM
Ok, is this fully retracted?

John Gamba
07-22-2004, 03:13 PM
Looks good to me:D Ill take a pic of my slide and you can see.
John

naturescape
07-22-2004, 03:14 PM
That 'slide looks just fine!

walker-talker
07-22-2004, 03:36 PM
Yep, looks good to me also. Actually, looks like it retracts more than mine!

Cut 2 Please
07-22-2004, 04:02 PM
That is how mine retracts.

chuckers
07-22-2004, 04:23 PM
i wouldnt want it.... it looks like you have to step to high to get on it.....?

JethroBodine
07-22-2004, 07:39 PM
Ok, now I know the fully retracted position is good.

But, if i go behind the machine and push the unit to the ground it basically just stays there. Shouldn't it pop right back to fully retracted?

Where would it bind?

Does the shaft need to be lubricated?

Turfcutters Plus
07-22-2004, 08:37 PM
I put a bungie strap on to hold mine up for longer periods of time.Bend S hooks to permenately stay on mower on both ends.I love it!Good luck.

McCauley3
07-22-2004, 10:53 PM
John, that's a good assumption about the debris in the spring, but right out of the box, mine wouldnt retract all the way up, so I wonder what it could be. It's really not that too bad, just a few degrees I suppose. And it seems to be less and less of a problem lately. Who knows?

JethroBodine
07-22-2004, 11:32 PM
Ok, now I know the fully retracted position is good.

But, if i go behind the machine and push the unit to the ground it basically just stays there. Shouldn't it pop right back to fully retracted?

Where would it bind?

Does the shaft need to be lubricated?

So do they all retract like this or does mine need work?

Fareway Lawncare
07-23-2004, 12:08 AM
I wouldn't put Any Attachment on My Hydro Walks that the operator couldn't Back Up On...

TJLC
07-23-2004, 06:08 AM
Iv'e had my slides since Dec. 03 and as they get older they don't seem to retract up as high. To me it's really no big deal cause I like the slides so well, I just deal with it. I do personally believe they should have stronger shocks on them, but other than that there great.

John Gamba
07-23-2004, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by McCauley3
John, that's a good assumption about the debris in the spring, but right out of the box, mine wouldnt retract all the way up, so I wonder what it could be. It's really not that too bad, just a few degrees I suppose. And it seems to be less and less of a problem lately. Who knows?

Is it the plate or the two arms that arnt going up?????

Steve9
07-23-2004, 07:46 AM
Make sure u have it installed riight. i actually put the plate attachment on upside down so the hook pin part was on your left. It needs to feed from the right side.

JethroBodine
07-23-2004, 08:03 AM
The plate and the lower arm retract to the upper arm pretty much instantaneously.

The main upper arm is the one that seems to hang and not retract.

There is a cam on the left that the upper arm attaches to that seems to not move freely. If you pull the upper arm up into the retracted position the cam then rotates around. (up)

I am pretty sure the unit is installed correctly. The pin installs from the right sliding toward the left. (See picture submitted earlier)

Steve9
07-23-2004, 09:05 AM
The pic looks good to me. I think you have it right

John Gamba
07-23-2004, 03:09 PM
The plate and the lower arm retract to the upper arm pretty much instantaneously.

The main upper arm is the one that seems to hang and not retract.

There is a cam on the left that the upper arm attaches to that seems to not move freely. If you pull the upper arm up into the retracted position the cam then rotates around. (up)

I am pretty sure the unit is installed correctly. The pin installs from the right sliding toward the left. (See picture submitted earlier)

Take it down and see if it moves freely. If not try to see where it binds. You might have to take the strut off to see.

John