PDA

View Full Version : Letter from Weedman

tiedeman
07-21-2004, 10:04 PM
I received a letter from a representive of Weedman here in Michigan asking about buying me out. Has anybody else ever receive something like this before?

robertsturf
07-21-2004, 10:07 PM
NO, but I understand they are trying to buy a lot of small competitors out. They are doing that here in KC too.

BOTURF
07-21-2004, 10:24 PM
i just got one of thos letter today wonder if they will offer me a million bucks for my company lol

Tonyr
07-21-2004, 10:33 PM
wish they would come to australia, they can buy me out no probs.
for th right dollars of course!

dvmcmrhp52
07-22-2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Tonyr

Always some unacceptable condition isn't there?
Right dollars????
Ya right.

How's it hangin Tony?

Tonyr
07-22-2004, 12:03 AM
ha, ha Dave, yeah good thanks!

ok, any dollars then....if work gets quieter mate I'll pay them to take it, lol.

dvmcmrhp52
07-22-2004, 12:05 AM
Chin up mate winter won't last forever..................

Kelly's Landscaping
07-22-2004, 12:24 AM
I often wonder what price I would need to be offered in the future to motivate me to sell. I know I am know where big enough now to even flirt with the idea but 10-20 years from now when I'm 45-55 years old how much would I need to retire early?

I mean to give up your income you would want to be compensated very highly I just don't think I could flush a thriving business for a small pay off and uncertainty. I figure My partner will take his 40% right off the top then add in state taxes and the IRS and when your talking a large sale you are now top bracket so you get screwed so hard its not funny. Say the sale price was 10 million Lou would get 4 million and of the 6 remaining I get to give away roughly half of it. So I am then suppose to somehow live the rest of my life {which could be another 50-70 years with life expectancies going up all the time} with no income and a ever shrinking one time pay out.

I guess it depends where you live but something I have seen is this in the early 90s I was interested in real estate and why I didn't buy any homes I did become quite familiar with the prices here. Back then houses where 130-150k around here they are now 400k plus and 3 bedroom ranch half a mile from me just sold for 700k. What I am getting at is 10-20 years form now a million dollars will only buy a modest home around here. And I do not want to work as hard as I do to settle for that. Which leads me back to the question above how much would you have to pocket after all expenses to make giving up your cash register worth it.

And of course the next thing that goes through my mind if I do have a company worth that kind of money in 10-20 years would I even want to sell it. Wouldn't it be big enough to practically run its self at that point? I guess I won't be selling in the near future or perhaps not at all

Avery
07-22-2004, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Tonyr

You got that right! Everything is for sale. Just have to agree on price. :)

Doster's L & L
07-22-2004, 12:43 AM
i got one of those letters a few years ago. I didn't accept the offer.

No Lawncares
07-22-2004, 01:03 AM
I got a letter from them yesterday. I didn't even open it up.

SouthernFried
07-22-2004, 02:05 AM
The nice thing about being in a position where people are offering to buy your company is...you've already learned (hopefully) the lessons in building and operating a company. You've done it once...now you know what's involved.

Sell the damn thing, pocket most of the cash...and start another one! The second time is so much easier with all the lessons you learned the first time around!

Then, steal back all your old customers :)

Those damn non-compete clauses are a ***** tho.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
07-22-2004, 02:33 AM
Just curious, what did they offer you guys for your business?

PMLAWN
07-22-2004, 03:08 AM
Kelly, The idea is to take that money and invest in something, Like Real Estate.

GreenQuest Lawn
07-22-2004, 10:43 AM
My letter wants me to become a franchise.

MOW ED
07-22-2004, 11:10 AM
Not from Weedman but I did get the same type of letter from TG/CL.