PDA

View Full Version : Grass build up under deck

MWE
07-21-2004, 10:07 PM
Does anyone have any tips as to how to keep grass from building up under the mowing deck.

EastProLawn
07-21-2004, 10:09 PM
Good question, I've seen & heard some advice but nothing has worked so far other then cleaning them after every lawn.

bhoffman
07-21-2004, 10:35 PM
I've had some luck with Slip plate that they sell at tractor supply co. stores. Put about 3 coats on the underside and it helps to keep it clean. It doesn't seem to help with wet grass though

jbell113
07-21-2004, 10:42 PM
A friend of mine who is a small engine repairman says to clean it real good and spray it down with WD-40

fixer67
07-21-2004, 10:54 PM
Well first off I have heard of a spray that is meant to help with grass build up but can not remember what it was called or if it worked.
Now with that said I have a story to tell you that has been going around for years at the update schools. This woman takes her riding mower to the shop and she is mad as hell. She tell the service techs" I just bought this lawn mower a month ago and the asbestos coating is already coming off the deck!". The service techs can not understand what she is talking about so they go look at her mower. What is coming off the deck is dead grass which she thanks is some king of coating. I would hate to have been the one to try to tell her different.

Mark McC
07-21-2004, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by MWE
Does anyone have any tips as to how to keep grass from building up under the mowing deck.

Buy a mower with a stamped deck.

I have an exmark metro, cuts like a demon, accumulates clippings the same way. My Deere L110 is not much of a mower for this kind of use, but the deck is stamped and does not accumulate like the exmark.

My first zero may well be a Deere 'cause the decks are stamped.

Envy Lawn Service
07-22-2004, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by jbell113
A friend of mine who is a small engine repairman says to clean it real good and spray it down with WD-40
Bad idea....

I had heard this many times over. So I decided to try it. What a mistake. I thought it was working until the end of the day. But I still had stuff to scrape. The real nightmare began as I was trying to remove that last thin layer of hard buildup. Freaking impossible to get off!!! It was like it formed some sort of bond. I never did get it all off. So each time I scraped I tryed to make sure I did it while it was still wet and pecked away more and more at that thin layer until eventually it was gone.

I will NEVER put WD-40 under my deck again...EVER!!!

jt5019
07-22-2004, 01:09 AM
I was just about to try wd-40 glad i read this whole thread :rolleyes: ...Guess i just keep scraping away

EastTnLC
07-22-2004, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by fixer67
Well first off I have heard of a spray that is meant to help with grass build up but can not remember what it was called or if it worked.
Now with that said I have a story to tell you that has been going around for years at the update schools. This woman takes her riding mower to the shop and she is mad as hell. She tell the service techs" I just bought this lawn mower a month ago and the asbestos coating is already coming off the deck!". The service techs can not understand what she is talking about so they go look at her mower. What is coming off the deck is dead grass which she thanks is some king of coating. I would hate to have been the one to try to tell her different.

I bet you are talking about Mo-Deck. DO NOT BUY THAT STUFF! It is a waste of money. I bought two cans sprayed it on and let in dry before I recoated it as the dir. stated. About a day after when I went to use the mower that fricken grass was so thick underneath the deck it was aweful. It looked like I mowed at least 20 lawns at not cleaned the deck. IT IS A WASTE OF MONEY!

SouthernFried
07-22-2004, 01:29 AM
Thread reminded me of something that happened to me a few yrs back.

I had some grass accumulate on TOP of the deck...nothing unusual...it happens. Well, evidently, there was a little grease or oil mixed in with the grass and it contacted the exhaust...and the whole thing caught on fire!

I'm riding around the lawn like evil kneevil...my mower on fire and me screeming at one of my guys to grab a hose and spray it before the whole thing explodes!

He gets a hose and starts spraying water on it...and it comes off in firey, oily clumps... and then the freakin' grass starts burning! We get it out, and find out we have a small audience along the street watching us.

Well, mower still works fine...and a coupla sod patches fixed the grass. I now clean my mowers more regurely, and blow them off after ever lawn.

Another small lesson learned :)

Nothing to do with grass "under" the deck...but, I got all these damn stories....

MJD75
07-22-2004, 02:19 AM
What about inventing thin metal plates that attach under your deck, and after a week or so you take off the plates and scrape them and then re-attach. ????? Anything like that out there??

grasswhacker
07-22-2004, 09:11 AM
If you have a source of water about 4-5" that you can place your deck over and run the blades it cleans the deck GREAT. Fortunatly I live right by a creek in which the road goes right through it, so I drive the mower out into the water and engage the blades for a power wash. Cleans it like nothing else, even grass that has hardened.

Mark McC
07-22-2004, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by grasswhacker
If you have a source of water about 4-5" that you can place your deck over and run the blades it cleans the deck GREAT. Fortunatly I live right by a creek in which the road goes right through it, so I drive the mower out into the water and engage the blades for a power wash. Cleans it like nothing else, even grass that has hardened.

Sounds like a great way to clean the deck, but I'd be really leery of using a lot of H2O because of the risk of rust/corrosion.

grasswhacker
07-22-2004, 09:24 AM
Remember grass usually is wet when it gets attached to the deck, so there is no additional harm in using water to clean it. Also you can continue to run the blades after cleaning to dry it.

mike48114
07-22-2004, 09:42 AM
don't know of anything that keeps the grass from sticking but I do know if you scrape the deck every night when you change / sharpen blades your grass cutter will cut much better. Thats what we do.

Meg-Mo
07-22-2004, 09:46 AM
Try the MEG MO blades. We have not cleaned a deck in the last 10 yr. since I invented the MEG MO blades.

grasswhacker
07-22-2004, 09:51 AM
I have meg-mo blades and still had build up. There off right now and I will put them back on for leaves.

Five Diamond Lawns
07-22-2004, 10:02 AM
I also use meg-mo blades and love them, but they don't seem to help the grass accumulation under the deck.

HighGrass
07-22-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Meg-Mo
Try the MEG MO blades. We have not cleaned a deck in the last 10 yr. since I invented the MEG MO blades.

Wow that's awesome....how many hours have you put on that mower since installation?

KUBOTADAN
07-22-2004, 11:09 AM
I agree with Mark McC. The stamped deck doesn't have the build up. One of my Kubota's has a Pro 60 deck with baffels, grass build up under it. I have a stamped deck coming in for it this week. (not the reason for getting a new deck) that another story.

MOJO111
07-22-2004, 11:55 AM
Try slick 50. Silicon in a can, nothing sticks to it .:D :D

MWE
07-22-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by mike48114
don't know of anything that keeps the grass from sticking but I do know if you scrape the deck every night when you change / sharpen blades your grass cutter will cut much better. Thats what we do.

I USE THE MEG-MO'S AND I STILL HAVE GRASS BUILD UP, AND CLUMPS OF GRASS SHOOTING OUT OF THE DISCHARGE WHEN I AM MOWING. (CLUMPS WHEN WET)

MWE
07-22-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by MOJO111
Try slick 50. Silicon in a can, nothing sticks to it .:D :D

WHERE CAN I GET THE "SLICK 50"?

kalyeah
07-22-2004, 05:13 PM
Had my deck catch on fire like that too southernfried. It was leave season, and we had some leaves acculilate on the deck. Didn't know at the time but we had a very small leak in the gas line. Should have seen us running around panicking. The old man(about 90) would always enjoy coming out to watch us cut his grass. Ran up to him and asked where his hose was. He had put it up for the winter. Anyways, I always carry a fire extinguisher now.

naturescape
07-22-2004, 05:30 PM
I am SO tired of the claims megmo (not worth capitalizing) makes here!

NEVER has the deck of my ExM 48" TT with 17hp Kaw. been so packed with clippings as when I used megmos. That was just after 2 hrs., then they came right off and were returned. Now they will say, "oh it must be a problem with the mower." Yeah, sure! I cannot BELIEVE how well my Exmark cuts with singles or doubles.

MoDeck is just paint thinner I believe. I buy paint thinner in 1 gallon jugs, coat the deck well with it, and it seems to help a lot.

Slick 50 might work well too!

DLCS
07-22-2004, 05:36 PM
I haven't scraped a deck yet this year, I use MEG MO blades.:)

jbell113
07-22-2004, 05:57 PM
Bad idea....

I had heard this many times over. So I decided to try it. What a mistake. I thought it was working until the end of the day. But I still had stuff to scrape. The real nightmare began as I was trying to remove that last thin layer of hard buildup. Freaking impossible to get off!!! It was like it formed some sort of bond. I never did get it all off. So each time I scraped I tryed to make sure I did it while it was still wet and pecked away more and more at that thin layer until eventually it was gone.

I will NEVER put WD-40 under my deck again...EVER!!!

Yea you may be right I personally have not tried it

Woody82986
07-22-2004, 07:44 PM
I use WD 40 under my deck and I havent had to scrape anything off since I applied it. I recoat it once a week on Mondays and I never have anything to scrape out. Maybe you are mowing a different grass type than I am, but WD-40 works great for me.

Fareway Lawncare
07-22-2004, 08:45 PM
Meg-Mos are Good at Alot of things but reducing Under Deck Build-Up isn't one of them...All you have to do is look at the Massive Solid Foil Sail to see that wet Grass will be lifted hard into the deck chamber...Meg-Mos work best in Dry & for sucking up Leaves & Debris...

DLCS
07-22-2004, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Fareway Lawncare
Meg-Mos are Good at Alot of things but reducing Under Deck Build-Up isn't one of them...All you have to do is look at the Massive Solid Foil Sail to see that wet Grass will be lifted hard into the deck chamber...Meg-Mos work best in Dry & for sucking up Leaves & Debris...

I beg to differ, my deck is as clean as can be after mowing in the rain, while using Meg Mos.

Up North
07-22-2004, 10:44 PM
Not sure if a stamped deck is any better then a fab'd one. I started out this season with a JD L120 and that thing loaded up every day. A month ago I bought my first Z, Snapper 52" Fastback, if I use Gator Magnums the deck will load up during the week, if I use the stock blades there isn't a problem, haven't had to scrape once when using the factory blades. Why is that? Different lift? More air circulation to push clippings out?

Envy Lawn Service
07-22-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Up North
A month ago I bought my first Z, Snapper 52" Fastback, if I use Gator Magnums the deck will load up during the week, if I use the stock blades there isn't a problem, haven't had to scrape once when using the factory blades. Why is that? Different lift?
The part in bold would be my guess. Still has slick new paint.

Those new Snappers are nice by the way. The outside shape of the deck and size of the discharge opening is very similar to Hustler. The front deck skirt hugs very close to the blades and it does not have a front baffle. I've been wondering how those mowers run out...

Up North
07-22-2004, 11:02 PM
Envy, I agree with the new part but I'd say for at least the last couple of blade changes my paint has been gone. I like the mower a lot, it really does a nice job. I would recommend it to anyone, my decision was based on demo's of the JD, Dixie Chop, Hustler & Exmark. It was every bit as good as Hustler & Exmark and better (IMO) then the others. Priced out really good too, so far it was a good decision.

Buck

kipper
07-22-2004, 11:21 PM
Ok, Ok ,I will post the solution to the problem. Polymer Spray used on the underside of Airboats.

Envy Lawn Service
07-22-2004, 11:25 PM
Buck,

I had one priced out really well to me also. It was a 52" as well, still in the crate though, 23hp Kawi w/cansiter filter I think... Nice dang mower. I Have forgoten the price, but I think I posted it somewhere. This was before the nickname change. It was called a Z-Force I think, which MTD/Cub stole for their homeowner Z.

It probably stays clean then because of what I mentioned about the deck design, particularly the front. Question though, how fine are the clippings discharged and how well does it discharge? How about a mulch kit? One available yet?

Up North
07-23-2004, 10:57 AM
Envy,
It discharges great, the clippings aren't too bad, can be pretty thick if the grass is really long and had a lot of growth between cuttings. The Gator Magnums took care of that however, very fine clippings. I don't know if they have a mulch kit yet, I haven't checked on that yet.

My Z priced out at $6500 and dealer threw in extra set of blades, hitch, caps, shirts, etc. The name of the mower is Snapper Fastback Pro, it's a 52" cut with 21hp. Kawasaki with canister filter. This is only the second year they have produced the Z twin stick, they had a joystick model which I didn't like. I was a bit apprehensive about the 21hp, but I have not encountered any drop off in power during cutting, mowed some tall thick crap too. We'll see how it does with fall clean ups...

I know one thing, I wish I could serve a tennis ball as fast as my Snapper can, I didn't see it nestled down in the grass and all I heard was "ffffrrrrrtttttt!!!" and it shot about 30ft into a brick wall and bounced back and darn near knocked me off the mower.:eek:

Would have liked to have had that on video...:blob3:

Demo one, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, they stripe well and are heavy duty. Only drawback I've found so far is 1/2 inch deck adjustments vs. 1/4 inch. Hasn't been an issue yet, and I suppose you could always add or subtract spacers on the spindle if need be.

MMLawn
07-23-2004, 03:20 PM
PAM cooking spray

chevyman1
07-23-2004, 03:25 PM
I took MMLawn's advice on this last month, and it helped quite a bit, but the best part was when I went to scrape the decks, it falls off immediately

Mark McC
07-23-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by chevyman1
I took MMLawn's advice on this last month, and it helped quite a bit, but the best part was when I went to scrape the decks, it falls off immediately

Seriously? Pam cooking spray?

MMLawn
07-23-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Mark McC
Seriously? Pam cooking spray?

ABSOLUTELY. Every new mower I get first thing I do is spray the bottomn of the deck and then again after every cleaning. I personally use the Butter Flavor (seriously) and the grass falls right off or is very, very easy to clean off if not.

Envy Lawn Service
07-24-2004, 03:02 AM
Never tried PAM. Butter flavored aye??? Hummm...

EastTnLC
07-24-2004, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by MMLawn
PAM cooking spray

I think I'll give that a try tomorrow

Envy Lawn Service
07-24-2004, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by EastTnLC
I think I'll give that a try tomorrow
Your 'ol lady will have your hide! Think twice about that. Better drop by the grocery store and get your own can! Be sure to spring for the butter flavor now!

dmc456
07-24-2004, 08:19 AM
Run doubles and you will never clean your deck again. My very clean and I never touch them.

Mark McC
07-24-2004, 11:44 AM
I'm thinking jalapeno-flavored Pam.

Yes, jalapeno it is.

PMLAWN
07-24-2004, 06:18 PM
Lighter fluid (the kind to start grills) Pour it in a spray bottle and wet the whole underside and alow to dry. Cheap and easy. Stays clean a little longer but the real nice thing is that any build up comes right off when you scrape the deck. Falls off in clumps. Than respray