PDA

View Full Version : 23 hp. Kawasaki SMOKING

Likestomow
07-21-2004, 11:58 PM
It only has 250 hours and it uses about 8-10 oz. oil every 10 hours. Iíve had the Kawasaki dealer do a compression test and a lead-down test, and was told the results were all greatÖ the engine is in fine shape. Well I think the power is a bit on the low side, but I donít have another one to compare to. I have had a Kohler for four years and never, never seen it use anywhere near that much oil, ever.

Itís the oil consumption that worries me. Iím afraid we will go three days without adding oil and burn up the engine (we add every other day).

Kawasaki is very reluctant to make any warranty claim on this engine, so Iím wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience dealing with Kawasaki on warranty. If so, Iíd appreciate your tips and suggestions.

txlawnking
07-22-2004, 12:24 AM
Check the breather. I really like Kawi's, but I have heard more than one person say, that it's difficult at best to get warranty work out of them...

SouthernFried
07-22-2004, 01:17 AM
You may wanna check the choke valve as well. My kawasaki engine's throttle cable wasn't moving the choke valve to the open position. It was smoking more than usual, and didn't have the power because it wasn't getting enough air.

I moved the choke valve to the wide open position manually, and it's working fine now.

I called my dealer, and they said they've been talking to Kawasaki about this problem.

Check for a clogged air filter as well...it will do the same thing.

Envy Lawn Service
07-22-2004, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Likestomow
Kawasaki is very reluctant to make any warranty claim on this engine, so Iím wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience dealing with Kawasaki on warranty. If so, Iíd appreciate your tips and suggestions.
Originally posted by txlawnking
I really like Kawi's, but I have heard more than one person say, that it's difficult at best to get warranty work out of them...
Yeah, either they have such a fat head that they think they make a perfect engine every time, or they try to weasel their way out of warranty claims. Not sure which.

In any event, it seems to me this is probably another case of the "Certified Part Changer Mechanic" strikes again. It's hard enough to find a mechanic that is good at diagnostics on the brands that have been around a long time, much less Kawi's, L/C or EFI. Even then most of the ability comes from years of trial and error.

Many places still do not have a lot of Kawi's around and although they may be "certified" they still don't know crap about them because they have little experience. So rather than just admit they don't know, they would rather save their pride and go to the grave swearing nothing is wrong with an engine.

My guess is if they did have the shop manuals and all the stuff actually was in spec, then it's got to be SUCKING oil in somewhere and burning it. Either that of the dipstick/dipstick tube is short, propmting you to over fill, cause pour oil control blow by or whatever term you want to use. Heck just pour oil control can be a problem.

Anyways I suggest you inspect very closely for leaks in areas that could burn off. Check the carb and surroundings for signs of oil going thru. Pay close attention to the exhaust. Try topping off a bit shy daily instead of full up every 2 days and keep track of ounces of consumption to see if they match up to the old rates with lower top off.

The last remaining questions in my mind are...
Do you see other signs of oil consumption besides just low oil levels?

Have you been running synthetic oil?

number1dad
07-22-2004, 04:59 AM
Same thing with my 19hp Kawasaki motor. Began putting out black smoke. Check the air filter to make sure it is not plugged. I changed mine after about 100 hours and if the weather has been dry for an extended amount of time. Seemed to clear up the problem.

griffithtlc
07-22-2004, 09:57 AM
We had a similiar problem this year. The engine started to smoke after running it for about 15 minutes. We looked and could not find any leaks but after a week it started leaking more. It turned out to be a seal that was just slightly pinched. If the engine was cool there was no problem. When the oil got up to temperature it would soften the seal up just enouph for the oil to leak alittle and burn up right away.

It was under warranty so we brought it to the dealer and he put the new seal in that day and have not had any more problems. the warranty came in handy there.

MOturkey
07-23-2004, 11:36 PM
I have a 23 Kawasaki on my Gravely, with 230 hours, and it uses no oil between changes (every 50 hours). I did experience plug fouling at about 200 hours, caused from running too rich, which, apparently was a plugged air filter. I religiously clean the foam outer filter each day, and didn't dream the main filter would plug that quickly, especially since we have had little dust this year. But, changing the filter seems to have eliminated the problem. Good luck with the problem. Neill

renda454
07-26-2004, 11:53 PM
I have a 25 hp kawasaki that smokes also and I also am having trouble getting them to stand behind the warranity. I will for sure not have another Kawasaki on any mower I own from here on.

kawasakitech
07-27-2004, 10:53 PM
I'd like to ask any of you that are stating that "Kawasaki does not stand behind their warranty", are you Kawasaki dealers?

DLCS
07-27-2004, 11:03 PM
i got 2 25hp Kawasaki engines both are horizontal shaft. I'e had leaks on both of them. One leaked around the oil sump cover gasket and pto shaft seal. The other had 2 hrs on it and leaked around the pto shaft seal. Also, check the plastic drain plugs on the block, those tend to loosen up too. I had that problem too. But all in all I still like the kawi engines.

gcunning1968
06-24-2007, 11:54 PM
I have a 19 hp Kawi with 3.2 hours on it. Today after I cut my grass I put the mower in the garage and shut it down. I had to pull it up a little in order to get the door down. When I restarted the mower after about 10 minutes it blew out white smoke enough to fog up the entire garage. Any suggestions on what could cause this??? Thanks for the help.

Jason Rose
06-25-2007, 12:27 AM
Funny, I have a 25hp Kohler with almost exactly the same oil consumption, and just like yours, the engine checks out good with the leak down test, ect. What's not similar is that mines burning that much oil and NOT smoking at all!

mike plummer
06-25-2007, 12:36 AM
sounds like rings to me

Jason Rose
06-25-2007, 12:45 AM
ARRRG! This is what I get for not looking before I post... Some NOOB finds a ancient thread and brings it back up from the dungeon and then some fool like me comes along and responds like it's todays news. lol!

inHaliburton
06-25-2007, 01:40 AM
Have you been running synthetic oil?

Why'd you ask that, Envy?

I use synthetic oils (usually Amsoil) in my car, previous GX-335, and now my new JD 737. I usually change the oil and filter at about 50 hours.

I use synthetic grease, too.

Envy Lawn Service
06-26-2007, 03:18 PM
Why'd you ask that, Envy?

I use synthetic oils (usually Amsoil) in my car, previous GX-335, and now my new JD 737. I usually change the oil and filter at about 50 hours.

I use synthetic grease, too.

Just trying to get more specific information about the oil consumption the original poster was experiencing.

Usually when you have high oil consumption, yet all the 'tests' look good, you can pretty much figure...

1) Oil is not standing up to application... breakdown, burn off, etc

2) Oil is thin enough under use to pass normal clearances

3) Oil is leaking out somewhere around some seal

4) Oil is being sucked through the block breather valve and through the carb.

KFLAWN
12-01-2009, 02:12 PM
We have a 25 hp kaw.
Sometimes it pours a quart or so of oil out. When it gets hot.
Not sure where the oils is comming from... maybe main seal?

its weird it only happens sometimes and its not like it runs any different.
Please help!

Envy Lawn Service
12-01-2009, 05:08 PM
We have a 25 hp kaw.
Sometimes it pours a quart or so of oil out. When it gets hot.
Not sure where the oils is comming from... maybe main seal?

its weird it only happens sometimes and its not like it runs any different.
Please help!

Where is it running down at?

Check around the crank and around the head gaskets.

brucec32
12-02-2009, 10:32 PM
Had a briggs vanguard twin that belched blue smoke, lost power, and I figured it was a goner. On a whim I put on a new air filter. Ran fine. I learned that day that sometimes a filter that looks clean isn't.