PDA

View Full Version : web worm

way to grow
07-22-2004, 12:02 AM
I have several lawns this year that have tons of little white moths. I know they are laying eggs all over the place that will later emerge as web worms. My question is: When should I treat these? Should I wait for the damage to begin? Or can I take care of it ahead of time? I don't want to treat them just so they can come back a week later from a nieghbors lawn.

Thank you for you help!

-Jeff

heritage
07-23-2004, 05:38 PM
Way to Grow,
I would apply Talstar or Onyx 2-3 weeks after you see all of the adult activity, egg laying ect. Also liquid is better for this pest than granular. Make sure there is no rain in the forcast 24 hrs. after application and notify your clients that have irrigation that they should not water for a day after the application.

Pete D.

martn
07-23-2004, 08:25 PM
Use merit at the recommended rate, now.

way to grow
07-23-2004, 09:47 PM
Thank you Heritage. I will do just that. I have already applied Merit earlier this year. I think it is mostly for subsurface feeders.

Thanks again.

Ric
07-23-2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by martn

Martin

It is a little late in the season for Merit. Particularly here in Fla. If you can see active Web Worms, Merit is not the right choice any way. Heritage has given the correct answer as far as choice of insecticide. On St Augustine or other heavily thatched lawns I would recommend at least 3 to 5 gallon of finished product per thousands. Adding a good wetting agent or sticker would help the insecticide do a better job.

lawnguy26
07-24-2004, 01:24 AM
Webworms are very easy to kill but impossible to prevent. They must be active to get control and don't be suprised if they re-infest a month or so later. Look for worms in the thatch or small green pellets(fecal matter) to see if they're active and treat the entire lawn with Talstar and a wetting agent.

ProMo
07-24-2004, 11:01 AM
If my customers have any crabgrass in the lawn I tell them to let the webworms eat it before treating. They always seem to target the crabgrass before the st augustine. I treat them with acephate (smelly stuff) in my yard.

TSM
07-24-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by martn

Hmmm, i dont believe merit is labled for webworm

talstar

Green Dreams
07-24-2004, 01:46 PM
What if there was an organic solution to sod webworms? Something non-toxic you could mix into your liquid apps? When applied, it would actually make the grass taste bad to the larvae. ....

TSM
07-24-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Green Dreams
What if there was an organic solution to sod webworms? Something non-toxic you could mix into your liquid apps? When applied, it would actually make the grass taste bad to the larvae. ....

hmmm....like garlic???
do webworms have taste buds?

Green Dreams
07-24-2004, 04:07 PM
Everytime I think I am smart, someone like you shows me I am not. I never thought of garlic. I'd be interested in hearing if it works out. The outbreak of sww here in the 90s has subsided. I still get a few cases a year, but not like in the past where I had a dozen and more per day. I put this thread up to see if anyone knows my "secret". I tested it back in the early nineties by spraying the front with "it" and the backs without. It was really wild how they would get to about the property line of my customer and stop.

lawnservice
07-24-2004, 08:11 PM
sod web worm are not a major problem for us. we see some every season but by no means are they a wide spread problem. we treat with talstar

TSM
07-24-2004, 08:47 PM
GreenDreams, I mentioned the garlic as a guess to what your secret may be.

the garlic product does state it will control deer and geese though, maybe surface feeding insects as well?

Green Dreams
07-25-2004, 01:46 PM
Naw...Brown sugar or molasses. We were tank mixing it in desperation as those suckers were outta control back then. TSM, please reply to my iron post. I'd be interested in your opinion...Thanks

TSM
07-25-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Green Dreams
Naw...Brown sugar or molasses. We were tank mixing it in desperation as those suckers were outta control back then. TSM, please reply to my iron post. I'd be interested in your opinion...Thanks

we dont really do any liquid apps these days
We do use ferromec ac on hard to green up lawns @ 5-6 ounces per 1000 ft.

B&B
07-26-2004, 07:57 AM
I use permistar 380. I have used it in my yard, works great & it cost less than talstar.

Ric
07-26-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by B&B
I use permistar 380. I have used it in my yard, works great & it cost less than talstar.

What is the AI of Permister 380??

Lawn Sharks
07-27-2004, 12:05 PM
To confirm the presence of webworms, mix 1 tablespoon of 1% pyrethrins or 1/4 cup of household detergent with 2 gallons of water. Mark off several one square yard sections of the turf suspected of having a webworm infestation, and apply one gallon of the solution to each section. The solution irritates the caterpillars, causing them to move to the surface within 5 to 10 minutes where they can be counted and a management decision made.

B&B
07-28-2004, 10:04 PM
RIC, permistar 380 - AI is 38% permethrin. works on all pest & ornanmentals & shrubs. FIRE ANTS TOO!!!

Ric
07-28-2004, 10:41 PM
Pyrethroids are a broad spectrum insecticide that work very quickly but have little or no residual. I use them very little but keep a jug on hand for quick knock down. I assumed permistar 380 was a pyrethroid, but ask just to be sure.

My favorite story about Pyrethroids is Tree Hornets that attack you as you spray them. But Pyrethroid kills them so quick that they can not reach you at 20 ft. away.