PDA

View Full Version : tires killing grass?

sirsweatsalot
07-22-2004, 01:22 AM
a few weeks ago i started to notice burnt wheel tracks in one of my lawns. i thought it was a fungus at first but ruled that out. after the grass started to grow back after some rain. the days i cut that prop. i would unload the trailer and leave the mowers on the asphalt and trim and then mow. it was real hot on the days i was mowing. my buddy a fellow lco told me it was the tires... they were too hot and were killing the grass. i thought he might have a point... what do you guys think?

HOOLIE
07-22-2004, 01:28 AM
I don't know if that can happen like you described. Anytime the grass is dry, the tires will leave marks on the lawn. It doesn't do any real damage. As soon as it rains again things should be back to normal.

SouthernFried
07-22-2004, 01:37 AM
It was the grass being dry...not your mower wheels.

If the grass is dry enough, you can walk on it, and a week later, you'll see footprints.

And it depends on the grass if it will grow back or not. If St Augustine gets that dry...it's dead. You'll have to wait for the parts of the yard that ain't dead to spread...or re-sod. Bermuda's and zoysias just go dormant and will green right back up with water.

SouthernFried
07-22-2004, 01:46 AM
Ok...the footprint thing might be a tinsy bit of an exagerration. Don't recall actually ever seeing that happen. But, I've heard stories. :)

But, you get the idea.

Mebbe if you weighed 400lbs...

Envy Lawn Service
07-22-2004, 01:48 AM
The tires squishing the grass causes a bit of stress at times. This is just magnified by weather conditions that create more stress is all.

GLS
07-22-2004, 02:56 PM
Does it look like this (see photo below)?

I would have to agree with the others, dry grass not hot tires.

We've had this happen on two lawns. Both are irrigated so they are used to having moisture and can't take the drought like non-irrigated lawns can. This particular picture is of a temperary lawn we were doing while they were on vacation and they turned the irrigation off. The other one i'm talking about I think had a broken sprinkler head.

Mico Landscaping design
07-22-2004, 03:11 PM
did u ever run over a drive way or side walk that had weed killer on it? that would do it also good luck

chevyman1
07-22-2004, 03:15 PM
can I ask why you are doing that with a push mower?

meathead1134
07-22-2004, 03:25 PM
To me it looks like he is mowing the grass maybe??

Turfdude
07-22-2004, 03:30 PM
Could just be from the intense heat esp if in full sun - also it can be a sign of cinch bugs - they may be stressing the turf out, then w/ the heat of the tires - whamo
DO a floatation test just to be safe!

chevyman1
07-22-2004, 03:47 PM
no meathead, it wasn't meant to be wise, I meant why with a 21" pushmower? Not a walkbehind?

GLS
07-22-2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by chevyman1
can I ask why you are doing that with a push mower?

It was done with a 36" (as can be seen by the tire tracks). We used the 21" until the grass wasn't as dry to prevent the "dead tire track syndrome" from happening again. Did it help? I don't know but we didn't get any more tracks.

BTW, I forgot to mention earler, the tracks disappeared in a few weeks.

bobbygedd
07-22-2004, 04:53 PM
tell me, what is the overall environment on this lawn? sun? shade? surrounded by fence? trees? hedges?

PaulJ
07-26-2004, 01:27 AM
I've had burnt tracks happen, even the brown footprints. Very hot and humid or wet weather. It was the worse on lawns that still had dew on them when cut and then the temps reached upper 90's+ mid day.

dishboy
07-26-2004, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by chevyman1
no meathead, it wasn't meant to be wise, I meant why with a 21" pushmower? Not a walkbehind?

I frequently will mow small sections [less than 1k] with the 21 if I have another section that requires the 21 because of contour or a gate as the time savings of the extra mower width is cancelled out by the time it takes to switch mowers.

I have seen the tire stripping many times on drought stressed lawns.

ed2hess
07-26-2004, 09:21 PM
We have seen this problem in Texas for 20 years. When the lawn is very very dry and the temp is hot the wheels push the grass down and it don't come back up...it will die. Little mowers leave little tracks big mowers leave real BIG tracks. It is VERY difficult to convince the customer that it isn't your fault.....so we TRY TO determine when a yard will be damaged and we use weed eater on those areas. Sometimes we guess wrong and damage the yard, then we give free fertilize in fall to try to get it back and give them money back for mowing. THE CUSTOMERS NEVER BELIEVE THAT THEY DIDN'T WATER ENOUGH!

turftodo
07-26-2004, 11:00 PM
you could be spreading a fungis in your yard ,i have a commercial business in fla and we run into this every year we cut around 200yards a week and sometimes you run into a fungas that can spread on your tires we roll our tractor tires in bleach rags to kill the fugi so we end up spreading it from one lawn to the next