PDA

View Full Version : Grub problem

nfisher330
07-22-2004, 02:37 PM
On my personal lawn, I have 4 acres of extensively landscaped, and cut lawn. Anyway, I am getting area's where the grass is being torn up, and also problems with moles tunneling all over my lawn. I noticed my neighbor had the same tearing up problem, and asked what it was. She said it was grubs, and crows were tearing up the grass to get to them. I started doing research...called a local nursery with a reputation of being the best. He asked a few questions...and agreed that I have a grub problem, but that it's skunks doing the digging at night, not crows.

A local sod farmer also pointed out that moles will stay around for grubs as well. Now...what the heck do I do? My lawn is being destroyed..and the only treatment recommended would cost 1000's to apply. Any secret tricks of the business I can do?

Thanks,

Nick

John Gamba
07-22-2004, 03:01 PM
Grub-X It may cost some now BUT have you priced a new lawn install lately??
John

QC Lawn Services
07-22-2004, 03:14 PM
You might try something called milky spore. It is a bacteria that will get into the japanese bettle grubs, multiply and turn their guts milky white. The bacteria is called Bacillus sp. One treatment is said to last 10-15 years because it can survive in the soil. It is fairly specific for japanese beetle larve and will have little effect if it is something else chewing up your lawn. It will not harm the earthworms or other normal soil bacterium. By removing the grubs, you will also get rid of the moles and skunks because you have removed the food source.

naturescape
07-22-2004, 03:43 PM
And don't try to get rid of every single grub. There actually needs to be a few there -- that insures that the right predators are there so that the balance is correct. But right now, you obviously have too many predators tearing up your lawn. LOL